Unofficial Preview Early Thoughts: Preliminary Final - Sydney vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodes may play on for just $100,000 a year

Swans legend and Australian of the Year Adam Goodes is looking more likely by the minute to play on next season. He plays the 350th game of his career on Friday in the preliminary final against North Melbourne at ANZ Stadium. At 34, speculation continues to swirl about whether he will play on next season or retire.

In an interview with Fairfax Media earlier this month he said: "The best thing about what happens next year is that it's my call. I've got no pressure from the footy club. I can play out the year and decide what I want to do."

This column has been told if Goodes does play on it could be for as little as $100,000, because of salary cap constraints. Given how much Goodes can earn on the public speaking circuit, a playing contract would merely serve as spare change. He'd be playing on for love, not money, and how many players in the moonlight of their careers can do that?

Almost as cheap as UK supermarket prices !

You haven't lived until you've drunk straight homemade vodka served in a tea pot by an old babushka at Lake Baikal (Siberia), woken with the hangover from hell, hitched to Irkutsk, climbed on board a Trans-Siberian train while juggling a backpack and a wet paper bag full of boiled eggs, nursed yourself back to health drinking Baltika number 9 while eating the eggs and some smoked fish with a couple of pretty Russian girls who don't speak much English.

банджи
That's quite a few criteria we have to fulfill before we can say we too have lived. Tall order.

Goodes may play on for just $100,000 a year

Swans legend and Australian of the Year Adam Goodes is looking more likely by the minute to play on next season. He plays the 350th game of his career on Friday in the preliminary final against North Melbourne at ANZ Stadium. At 34, speculation continues to swirl about whether he will play on next season or retire.

In an interview with Fairfax Media earlier this month he said: "The best thing about what happens next year is that it's my call. I've got no pressure from the footy club. I can play out the year and decide what I want to do."

This column has been told if Goodes does play on it could be for as little as $100,000, because of salary cap constraints. Given how much Goodes can earn on the public speaking circuit, a playing contract would merely serve as spare change. He'd be playing on for love, not money, and how many players in the moonlight of their careers can do that?
I sort of agree with previous posters that the sub rule is crap, but it could be perfect for Goodesy. The $100,000 Sub! He could play another 5 years. :) But happy to discuss further from Monday 29 Sept.

Go the Swans!

I sort of agree with previous posters that the sub rule is crap, but it could be perfect for Goodesy. The $100,000 Sub! He could play another 5 years. :) But happy to discuss further from Monday 29 Sept.

Go the Swans!

Sub rule is gone next season. Goodes could be similar to Chapman where they play him 10-15 games.

Sub rule is gone next season. Goodes could be similar to Chapman where they play him 10-15 games.

At the start of the year when killing the sub rule was raised, Gillon was asked about this on OTC. He denied there were any plans to change it at this stage. But I guess Eddie didn't say it, so nothing is official. ;)

At the start of the year when killing the sub rule was raised, Gillon was asked about this on OTC. He denied there were any plans to change it at this stage. But I guess Eddie didn't say it, so nothing is official. ;)

Thought the new CEO said it was gone, could have read it wrong though. I remember hearing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back