Recruiting Targets Summary

Remove this Banner Ad

That is yet to be determined I believe.

But yes, if it is found Essendon have breached their duty of care, he can walk for nothing, I think.

At what point would this be determined? Not by the ASADA trial I wouldn't think.

A likely scenario IMO is that a player will say to the club "I want out of my contract, you breached your duty of care to me." At which point, the club would be absolutely mad to contest it. They will lose, and look like total dicks in the process. Establishing a breach of duty of care isn't that hard. It's obvious they did. They injected players with unknown substances without understanding or communicating those risks, and potentially putting careers in jeopardy.

The narcissists at Essendon might very well be mad enough to contest it.

If a player wishes to activate this clause, the AFLPA will back them 100%.

Screw your trades people. We will get Ryder for free.
Essendon want something for him? They caused this to happen....

tumblr_mzqgiayD0T1sj4xr4o1_250.gif

Exactly my line of thought mate.

Give Essendon our first 3 picks a la Freo and Carr for their second rounder plus Ryder. Then swap fourth rounders and up.

Draft the best tall available with our earliest pick plus Krakouer and Marlon Motlop. We are in a position where we can afford to do that.

Both Krak and Motlop have no shortage of ability and we have Ken and Burgo to help them get the best out of themselves.

To begin with, if I understand the sanctions correctly, Essendon don't have a 2nd round draft pick they can either use or trade to another club.

Depending on how it all plays out, whether Ryder noimates a club etc, I would not give Essendon a cent more for any player than we have to. IMO any trading goodwill toward them should go out the window. Remember that this is a club that sought to subservely gain an unfair advantage over the other clubs in the competition by injecting their players with what they hoped would be a performance-enhancing substance. As such breaching their duty of care to those players.

To begin with, if I understand the sanctions correctly, Essendon don't have a 2nd round draft pick they can either use or trade to another club.

Depending on how it all plays out, whether Ryder noimates a club etc, I would not give Essendon a cent more for any player than we have to. IMO any trading goodwill toward them should go out the window. Remember that this is a club that sought to subservely gain an unfair advantage over the other clubs in the competition by injecting their players with what they hoped would be a performance-enhancing substance. As such breaching their duty of care to those players.
IIRC Ryder has said his preference is for Essendon to trade him to the club he is going to choose or something similar and going on history, if Port is interested we will be looking for a tough but fair trade.

IIRC Ryder has said his preference is for Essendon to trade him to the club he is going to choose or something similar and going on history, if Port is interested we will be looking for a tough but fair trade.
Maybe his last conversation with Hird has changed his mind but sounds like he doesn't want to shaft the supporters of the club.

You can't pay more than an absolute pittance for someone with a potential suspension hanging over their heads. Ryder won't be in the clear by trade period.
Going by what happened in the rugby the suspensions if any will be minor.

Give Essendon our first 3 picks a la Freo and Carr for their second rounder plus Ryder. Then swap fourth rounders and up.

Draft the best tall available with our earliest pick plus Krakouer and Marlon Motlop. We are in a position where we can afford to do that.

Both Krak and Motlop have no shortage of ability and we have Ken and Burgo to help them get the best out of themselves.

Essendon don't have a second round pick. They lost it last year.

ASADA's investigation was just ruled to be legal, which increases the chances of bans being given out. Which in turn reduces Paddy's trade value. I'd be offering them a second round pick and that's it. Seriously though I hope he decides to just walk. A ban might remove any goodwill he has toward the club. Our chances of snaring him for nothing have just gone up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well , first we have to get ryder to choose to come here.

and then on we get to play hardball.

if a club fraks up as much as the dons have , they don't deserve our pity trade. we do whats best for us and move on from there.

now if whats best for us is to give up a decent draft pick , then so be it.

but we are under no pressure to do so if we dont feel we are obliged to. ie if a suspension is still hanging over ryders head come trade week as a result of the bombers actions then we should only offer at best a 3rd round pick and tell them they have until the end of trade week to take it. if we have to wait until free agent delistings to sign him up we will do so either by way of them delisting him or forcing his hand to make a play for the clause.

if he has to make that play he could. i have very little doubt that he would obtain a favourable ruling , and he would receive the backing of the afl players association. with an asada and an internal essendon report that both admit failing in the duty of care that part of the question is a no brainer. cant see the dons arguing against that. i have read mixed reports on the validity of the clause and thats where the question marks are..

dons fans claim the clause isnt applicable because it wasnt in force at the time ryder signed his contract , and none of their other arguments against it make the least bit of sense. others point out that as the rest of the cba is retro-active and comes into play for all current contracts regardless of when they were signed means the clause is applicable.

for me it comes down to different scenarios

come trade week ,

asada has dealt with paddy, its all finished and paddy wont miss a game next season.

- trade , first round pick.

asada dealt with paddy , paddy will miss an acceptable amount of time next season.

-2nd/3rd round trade offer on the table until the last day of trade week. make a judgement call on last day if the dons dont trade whether to ask paddy to use the clause or do we fold and offer a first if we are super keen on paddy and paddy is reluctant to use the clause.

paddy still has a ban hanging over his head as asada hasnt dealt with him yet

- 3rd round token pick or paddy uses the clause.

well , first we have to get ryder to choose to come here.

and then on we get to play hardball.

if a club fraks up as much as the dons have , they don't deserve our pity trade. we do whats best for us and move on from there.

now if whats best for us is to give up a decent draft pick , then so be it.

but we are under no pressure to do so if we dont feel we are obliged to. ie if a suspension is still hanging over ryders head come trade week as a result of the bombers actions then we should only offer at best a 3rd round pick and tell them they have until the end of trade week to take it. if we have to wait until free agent delistings to sign him up we will do so either by way of them delisting him or forcing his hand to make a play for the clause.

if he has to make that play he could. i have very little doubt that he would obtain a favourable ruling , and he would receive the backing of the afl players association. with an asada and an internal essendon report that both admit failing in the duty of care that part of the question is a no brainer. cant see the dons arguing against that. i have read mixed reports on the validity of the clause and thats where the question marks are..

dons fans claim the clause isnt applicable because it wasnt in force at the time ryder signed his contract , and none of their other arguments against it make the least bit of sense. others point out that as the rest of the cba is retro-active and comes into play for all current contracts regardless of when they were signed means the clause is applicable.

for me it comes down to different scenarios

come trade week ,

asada has dealt with paddy, its all finished and paddy wont miss a game next season.

- trade , first round pick.

asada dealt with paddy , paddy will miss an acceptable amount of time next season.

-2nd/3rd round trade offer on the table until the last day of trade week. make a judgement call on last day if the dons dont trade whether to ask paddy to use the clause or do we fold and offer a first if we are super keen on paddy and paddy is reluctant to use the clause.

paddy still has a ban hanging over his head as asada hasnt dealt with him yet

- 3rd round token pick or paddy uses the clause.

IMO, if Paddy gets a ban, it will increase his likelihood of using the clause. He'll have a road to Damascus moment, and realise that the club has caused him actual loss and only ever looked out for itself. At that point, all club loyalty is gone.

Yeah I'd forgotten about Essendon's picks but some sort of trade could be worked out if we can convince Ryder and his family we are the club to go to.
Kern and Koch off to work you go.

Perhaps we should not muck about and go straight to the doc. Release the Imp. :D

lets not forget the facts. they are convicted drug cheats. why go easy?

Careful. They haven't been found guilty of anything yet.

The only facts are that 34 current and former players have been issued with show cause notices and the joint ASADA/AFL investigation was judged to be lawful.

I think Essendon's bargaining power just took a massive hit today. I also think Paddy's value just dropped too. If Port show good faith and offer a first round pick with the likelyhood of a 6 month ban hanging over his head I think the EFC would be derelict in their duty to not jump all over that offer.

If it comes down to which club is able to sell itself best to get Paddy, I back Ken, Kochie and Burgess to beat all others.

Can't take the guys word for much but Sydney's chairman has said the Swans haven't spoken to and have no intention of speaking to Ryder so it looks like they may be out of the running there.

Hopefully it just leaves him to decide between wasting what's left of his career to be cashed up at GWS, Brisbane who have a good young list but no chance of finals the next few years or being a part of a potential dynasty here at Port. Carn Paddy make the right call.

Yeah I'd forgotten about Essendon's picks but some sort of trade could be worked out if we can convince Ryder and his family we are the club to go to.
Kern and Koch off to work you go.

Perhaps we should not muck about and go straight to the doc. Release the Imp. :D

did you see kochie on sunrise this morning baretts brought up ryder talking to GWS, then said hes also looking at brisbane and port asked what kochie thinks he just smirked, like i know something you don't know. But i could be wrong

Careful. They haven't been found guilty of anything yet.

The only facts are that 34 current and former players have been issued with show cause notices and the joint ASADA/AFL investigation was judged to be lawful.

if they haven't been found guilty of anything then why has hird just had a holiday, why are they penalised in draft and why we're they fined? these were all AFL penalties, but still went through a trial process

Remove this Banner Ad

Back