Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys,
Got tickets for the prelim on Sat. I am from QLD and don't get to many games but love my footy. Wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with my seats.
I'm in bay M1 seat 1. It's between Olympic and Great Southern Stands. From looking at the map - it appears to be where the race is? Can anyone confirm that?
If so, do we know what team runs out from that end? Or do we not know that until the night?
Thanks all - really excited for my first game in quite a few years.

Hey guys,
Got tickets for the prelim on Sat. I am from QLD and don't get to many games but love my footy. Wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with my seats.
I'm in bay M1 seat 1. It's between Olympic and Great Southern Stands. From looking at the map - it appears to be where the race is? Can anyone confirm that?
If so, do we know what team runs out from that end? Or do we not know that until the night?

Hey guys,

Not sure if this helps, but from memory M1 is the first bay in the Great Southern Stand at the Punt Road End.

The players races are on the other side of the ground where the MCC Members are and the umpires race is in the Great Southern Stand, but around about Bay M22 in the AFL Members.

The 4 races are all the other end.
Hawthorn will enter from about where the Ponsford and MCC Stands meet.
I believe Port will enter in the MCC Stand.
The umpires enter from the GSS Stand, near the wing.
Emergency vehicles from between the GSS and Ponsford meet.

You will be in the middle of Port territory. So yeah, could be fun for ya.

Hey guys, I was able to score M18, Row B seats.

Never sat so close to the fence before, i'm just stoked to be so close to ground level at the Granny!

From a viewing perspective, what's it like? I am assuming it will be difficult to see action on the other wing?

Never sat so close to the fence before, i'm just stoked to be so close to ground level at the Granny!

From a viewing perspective, what's it like? I am assuming it will be difficult to see action on the other wing?
Must say I prefer the view from a bit higher up but still nice seats for a Grand Final. You're right in that when it's close it'll be great but a little hard to see on the other side.

Take a look here, can see from M14 a little further back. http://www.mcg.org.au/Tours/Virtual Tour.aspx

Of course, I always go out of my way to educate Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn supporters whose stadium it really is.

Hmmm. Maybe you're right, and should have kept it like that.

1964 - Melbourne win Flag. 6th in 10 years. 12th in 68 years.

1965 - Melbourne begin sharing MCG with Richmond (who are suffering a 17-year finals drought).

1965-1980 - Richmond win 5 flags.

1965-1986 - Melbourne suffer 22-year Finals drought.

???? - Melbourne's next flag.

Just sayin'

:):):p:p:eek::eek::mad::mad::cry::cry:

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right thread to post in but on Sunday it is open day at the 'G'. Has anyone been before? Is it worth going to? What sort of things happen on the day?

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in but on Sunday it is open day at the 'G'. Has anyone been before? Is it worth going to? What sort of things happen on the day?
People spread loved ones' ashes on the turf.
Well that at least happened the first year.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/s...he-melbourne-cricket-club-20131214-2ze9p.html
golding2-300x0.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to the 175th anniversary open day last year and it was great. The GSS was out of bounds, but other than that you can go anywhere other than the TV and Radio boxes. I posted about 60 pictures in this thread from last years open day. My advice would be to get there early as the change rooms and coaches boxes were a crawl by the time I got there.

I went to the 175th anniversary open day last year and it was great. The GSS was out of bounds, but other than that you can go anywhere other than the TV and Radio boxes. I posted about 60 pictures in this thread from last years open day. My advice would be to get there early as the change rooms and coaches boxes were a crawl by the time I got there.
Thanks

You should have a great time there for the Grand Final, but yeah from a viewing perspective it can be tough- I sometimes find myself watching the big screen more often than not when I'm sitting that close.

From tomorrow the entire MCG arena surface will be ripped up and replaced. The new turf will be laid in time of the Sheffield Shield cricket season opener on October 31.

This will be the first redevelopment of the turf since the 2006 Commonwealth Games.

Went to the Open Day Today. Thanks Teagueeee15 for the advice on getting there early. We arrived at 9:30 and by 9:45 there was a huge line to get in. By the time we left at 12:00, the line for the change rooms went across the ground and the arena was packed. Was a great experience being able to kick the footy in the middle of the 'G'. Also enjoyed being able to walk around, looking in the boxes. The Sports Museum was also cheap. Photos to come

Remove this Banner Ad

Back