Draft picks - 1 Vs 7 & 10

Draft picks - 1 Vs 7 & 10

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine your a recruiter at a club.

Would prefer pick 1 or picks 7 & 10?

A lot is said about pick 1 being a poison chalice or bad luck charm of sorts. However, with that draft selection you get to pick the kid you think is the best of the best in the draft. Picks 7 & 10 on the other hand probably means you get 4th or 5th best midfielder but with the other pick probably gonna get the best key position player in the draft.

In this up coming draft, I'd be going with pick 7 & 10 over 1.

Philosophically, I think it really depends on where you're at as a club to be honest. A side like Melbourne need to refresh that list and clean out the deadweight with good-very good players moreso than they need to add elite talent; as such, I think two top ten picks would be more appealing than the first pick alone. A side like Brisbane, on the other hand, who are pretty well-rounded and have good, solid players on every line, plus decent depth, would benefit from adding some elite talent and would take pick one.

In this particular example, though, I think 7 and 10 is just too much of a drop in picks. Bring it up to something like 4 and 6, for example, and it would be a lot closer.

But would you take 7 & 10 over 1?
It really depends where I think other players will go.

Put it this way, i'd take Moore and Laverde over just Petracca.

But in this example where we don't have the father son player(Moore who was rated top 4) I would not take lets say Lever and Laverde who are around the 5-10 mark over Petrecca.

I apologize if you don't know this years draft prospects that well and this didn't make sense.

It really depends where I think other players will go.

Put it this way, i'd take Moore and Laverde over just Petracca.

But in this example where we don't have the father son player(Moore who was rated top 4) I would not take lets say Lever and Laverde who are around the 5-10 mark over Petrecca.

I apologize if you don't know this years draft prospects that well and this didn't make sense.

All I know is that the talent in this up coming draft is deep. Also I wasn't aware of the proposed offer from GWS to St Kilda. I probably would have used that example in this thread.

Philosophically, I think it really depends on where you're at as a club to be honest. A side like Melbourne need to refresh that list and clean out the deadweight with good-very good players moreso than they need to add elite talent; as such, I think two top ten picks would be more appealing than the first pick alone. A side like Brisbane, on the other hand, who are pretty well-rounded and have good, solid players on every line, plus decent depth, would benefit from adding some elite talent and would take pick one.

In this particular example, though, I think 7 and 10 is just too much of a drop in picks. Bring it up to something like 4 and 6, for example, and it would be a lot closer.
I think the other side of this is the hope that comes with a pick 1 vs middle first round picks. Melbourne would benefit from adding two young players certainly but given their recent poor performances, the supporters would have a great white hope in pick 1 (Melbourne probably a bad example club for these purposes) as opposed to 2 mid first round players who might be seen as solid selections but not potential superstars.

Pick one this year is a clear stand out so there is no doubt Id take one. Then there is the next group of three in Wright Brayshaw andMcCartin a little further behind. Then throw a blanket over the next 20 or so with Durdin Leverde Weller Moore and so on. One is a must this year.

Pick one this year is a clear stand out so there is no doubt Id take one. Then there is the next group of three in Wright Brayshaw andMcCartin a little further behind. Then throw a blanket over the next 20 or so with Durdin Leverde Weller Moore and so on. One is a must this year.

Pick 1 is only a clear standout in your opinion. Nobody would be surprised if McCartin went pick 1, given St Kilda's lack of a proven forward other than Riewoldt.

It just so happens St Kilda also lack quality mids, hence Petracca being an option

Pick 1 is only a clear standout in your opinion. Nobody would be surprised if McCartin went pick 1, given St Kilda's lack of a proven forward other than Riewoldt.

It just so happens St Kilda also lack quality mids, hence Petracca being an option

Pettracca has dominated in a way few others have in Under 18 Level both as a forward and a midfielder. He with Billings will both be goal scoring mids which are hard to come across. We dont really need any more key forwards with White Lee and Bruce looking promising in those areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 7 does seem to be a bit of a golden number (Selwood, Wines, Aish, Ryder, Lewis, etc) but for a club to be willing to trade the chance to get whoever they consider to be the best in the draft and to lose all the potential PR and so-on that comes with pick 1, you'd want to be offering up more than picks 7 and 10.

Counts for nothing if he ends up being a Jack Watts.

The fact there were so many clubs eager to get pick one shows you what a talent Pettracca is. After the next three the next 20 odd are pretty even.

Many clubs were eager to get pick one last year too. But that didn't eventuate. I think media buzz about trading for pick one is just a bit of a passing fad.

None of the talk has been purely about Petracca. It's been about having the choice between Petracca and McCartin. Except for when talking about GWS because obviously they don't need another tall.

Can't remember ever seeing a player with Pettracca's CV coming into a draft. Averaging over two goals a game as a mid in the TAC. Kicked 5 in the Prelim with high 20 stats. Player of the Championships. Clear number one by a fair stretch.

Petracca has been labelled a 'once in a generation' player. I would prefer him over pick 7 and 10

Back