Dangerfield vs Martin vs Fye. Who had the better career?

Dangerfield or Martin?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
All 3 well and truly past it and we can now be judged 1v1. All 3 considered the best players respectively of the same era.

Who do you think is the better of the three?

I am unbiasedly going with martin but as pure explosive stoppage midfielder in his prime, dangerfield over martin, where as fyfe the two brownlows that is also well imto the discussion

Martin simply gets the nod for a more polished all round game. The gap is marginal tho

Last edited:
Fyfe was unstoppable in 14,15 but injuries stopped him building the career of the other two.
20+ game seasons
Fyfe 6
Martin 11
Dangerfield 11

Out of 6 seasons of footy (some still interrupted by injury)
Aflca best young player 11
3x Bnf
3xAA
2x Brownlow 15,19
2x MVP 14,15
4 out of 6 years he was recognised by the competition for his season.

Fyfe was unstoppable in 14,15 but injuries stopped him building the career of the other two.
20+ game seasons
Fyfe 6
Martin 11
Dangerfield 11

Out of 6 seasons of footy (some still interrupted by injury)
Aflca best young player 11
3x Bnf
3xAA
2x Brownlow 15,19
2x MVP 14,15
4 out of 6 years he was recognised by the competition for his season.
He almost single-handedly got freo into a GF with a broken leg in that prelim too.

He was unbelievable that year

What makes fyfe better than danger Martin?
2x Brownlow medallist, against one each to the others.

Could have won a third if not for injury.

Just think his best years were the best. The others have had remarkably good health. Think if not for Fyfes injury impacted years and not being quite the same when came back it would not be that close at all.

Martin has had a couple of great years but not as consistently good. His record bumped by the norm smiths.

Danger similar to Fyfe but when they were both at their peak prefer Fyfe.

I’m an eagles fan so have no allegiance to Freo and Fyfe.

Fyfe was the closest thing we saw to another James Hird. Not anywhere as brilliant around goal but the complete package who could do it all.

It's a shame Fyfe's career has come to a sudden halt.
2 x Brownlow medalist.
2 x MVP winner.
Champion!
Fyfe was the closest thing we saw to another James Hird. Not anywhere as brilliant around goal but the complete package who could do it all.

It's a shame Fyfe's career has come to a sudden halt.
2 x Brownlow medalist.
2 x MVP winner.
Champion!
Different to hird
Hird more like dusty kicked a lot more goals then Fyfe had gun grunt around them to help with the dirty work.
Hird never averaged 2.5+ tackles
Fyfe ave 4+ tackles in 8 seasons
Hird never got 70+ clearances in a season.
Fyfe got 100+ 6x (2015 got 173 clearances in 20 games)
Hird got 25+ contested marks twice
Fyfe got 25+ 6x
43 in his second season of football which is more then Dusty’s first 6 seasons combined

Different to hird
Hird more like dusty kicked a lot more goals then Fyfe had gun grunt around them to help with the dirty work.
Hird never averaged 2.5+ tackles
Fyfe ave 4+ tackles in 8 seasons
Hird never got 70+ clearances in a season.
Fyfe got 100+ 6x (2015 got 173 clearances in 20 games)
Hird got 25+ contested marks twice
Fyfe got 25+ 6x
43 in his second season of football which is more then Dusty’s first 6 seasons combined

Hird was a better mark than Fyfe.
Classical footballer.

If he was a full time midfielder, his stats appear very different but that's what made him one of the all time greats. Could immediately impact a game playing somewhere else.

What makes fyfe better than danger Martin?
In my eyes what makes Fyfe better is he did the dirty work at an elite level as well.
Contested marks tackles clearances intercepts rebound 50.
His first 6 seasons (116games)before he bunged his leg he still provided an
Attacking threat with 95goals 66 assists not near what dusty did but it stacks up well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my eyes what makes Fyfe better is he did the dirty work at an elite level as well.
Contested marks tackles clearances intercepts rebound 50.
His first 6 seasons (116games)before he bunged his leg he still provided an
Attacking threat with 95goals 66 assists not near what dusty did but it stacks up well
Would you take him over Dustin Martin?

Fyfes best was the best and felt like it belonged with Ablett, Franklin, Judd. He would rip down a high flying mark, then be a majestic brute 2 minutes later getting clear from a pack.
He made the squad too in 11, 13, 20 - he could easily have 6 All Australians, missed out because of even in his best years would pick up a niggle and suspension. He was especially robbed in 2013.

Dangerfield premiership and total games played tips him over Fyfe for mine, and then Dustin’s accolades make it impossible to put Fyfe above.
However I would still pick Fyfe just for the watchability, Fremantle surged during his prime, he absolutely carried them

Fyfes best was the best and felt like it belonged with Ablett, Franklin, Judd. He would rip down a high flying mark, then be a majestic brute 2 minutes later getting clear from a pack.
He made the squad too in 11, 13, 20 - he could easily have 6 All Australians, missed out because of even in his best years would pick up a niggle and suspension. He was especially robbed in 2013.

Dangerfield premiership and total games played tips him over Fyfe for mine, and then Dustin’s accolades make it impossible to put Fyfe above.
However I would still pick Fyfe just for the watchability, Fremantle surged during his prime, he absolutely carried them

I’m biased … But Dustys best was still better than Fyfe's, and he did it when it mattered …his 2017 was arguably the best individual season by a player ever..
In the 2020 GF he single handily won us a premiership.
I’m not sure anything else matters…

I’m biased … But Dustys best was still better than Fyfe's, and he did it when it mattered …his 2017 was arguably the best individual season by a player ever..
Fair call
The patented don’t argue, the sharp snaps, the deep, slow-spinning 50 m kicks

Lol there have been that many players who have had better individual seasons it’s not even funny…

AA, AFLPA MVP , every media award, Gary Ayres Medal, B and F … most brownlow votes ever and Norm Smith.
I don’t think it’s debatable …
he also struggled immensely for consistency across his career which indicates a less talented player. I am a strong believer that consistency equals talent. All consistency means is the ability under a variety of situations and circumstances to perform to a high level.. dusty couldn’t do this. He needed a lot of things going his way to perform to a high level. Players like fyfe and dangerfield could put the team on their back better than he could.

Back