List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Would love to see us cut Martin, purely from a salary cap point of view.

He'd be the least of our worries in terms of hogging salary cap. I'm looking at you $Mackay......

Martin needs to stay - even if it's for depth, surely he's better to keep on board than say Pick #100~.

Disagree....

They got an A in my book and I would be stoked if I was a doggies fan.

You would assume the earliest they will challenge for a flag is about 2017 - at which stage Griffen and Cooney would 31 and 32.

Losing Griffen absolutely hurts - but if you look at their list the one place they have high end players and depth is in the midfield. Libba, Macrae, Dalhaus, Wallis, Picken, Bontempelli are the future of that team and look to make a very strong and exciting midfield.

They have addressed their number one need (A big contested marking forward) by recruiting an absolute elite talent. He will work fantastically well with Crameri.

I am sure they would have liked to have kept Higgins - but he is output is nowhere near his potential.

Its this type of trading I would love our club to consider....

The Bulldogs had a surplus of very good midfielders and used this surplus (even though it was forced) to address their #1 list weakness.

I agree the dogs needed to pull the trigger with Boyd. But i don't agree with the surplus of very good midfielders.

Libba, Macrae and Bonts are high end quality but also very young and will now share getting the hardest tag with Griffen gone. After them the quality and experience depth falls dramatically. Those three are a good few years away from playing consistent quality football together and imo could do with a couple more high draft pick mids. Either that or trade/free agent an A grader next year

Would love to see us cut Martin, purely from a salary cap point of view.
This makes no sense. He either fits in or he doesn't. Clearly he's not one of the highly paid players so I don't see the point. If we need his space to sign Dangerfield, we offer him a year now and trade/delist next year.

I don't think we are in salary cap trouble anyway, we have 4 players who we are replacing with 1st year player salaries. 5 if you count Cameron.

Didn't realise he was on big dollars

Would assume he is on at least 150-200k.

He'd be the least of our worries in terms of hogging salary cap. I'm looking at you $Mackay......

Martin needs to stay - even if it's for depth, surely he's better to keep on board than say Pick #100~.

Sure he isn't a lot. I would suggest about $125-$150k.

Would much rather that go into the kitty to keep our big 3. Think we should really copy the Sydney model where they went with 38 players (rather than the 40) in order to save that extra 200k to give to their better players (in addition to the Cola).

Its no coincidence that long term AFL players like Smack, Pets, Johnston, Graham have been moved on. Massive focus on clearing up cap space.

This makes no sense. He either fits in or he doesn't. Clearly he's not one of the highly paid players so I don't see the point. If we need his space to sign Dangerfield, we offer him a year now and trade/delist next year.

I don't think we are in salary cap trouble anyway, we have 4 players who we are replacing with 1st year player salaries. 5 if you count Cameron.

You cut him now - you restructure a different players deal for 2015 that frees up an additional cap space for 2016.

With a full team - does Martin get a game? I say absolutely not.

We aren't in contention for the flag in 2015 so whats the bloody point in keeping him?

Cornsey is that you? Since when do you need to have a football career to comment on footballers! Mitchell is very limited.
It is a fair comment to make in a forum such as this that he may be somewhat limited from a footy sense, but there are a couple of factors at play with the decision.
He may not be a Harvey but does have some of the traits we need to complete the team picture and thus fills a need. A team is the sum of individuals and not everyone needs to be a superstar.
We also need to juggle the list in terms of numbers and make sure we stay within the salary cap. By upgrading him to the main list means we don't have to draft 3 players and delist someone that we may not want to.

Good decision IMO. He has also improved each year so far and may improve his so called downside even more.

You cut him now - you restructure a different players deal for 2015 that frees up an additional cap space for 2016.

We aren't in contention for the flag in 2015 so whats the bloody point in keeping him?
I do agree with your points, however, a full team is something we may never achieve, especially with our luck with injuries. Martin is a perfect player to jump up in time of injury. Re-watch the Brisbane game, that'll win you over.

We can't keep restructuring contracts forward for 3 years since losing Tippett. It brings more income into one year where the players lose out as in the final year their cash flow is much reduced.

If we need room we can delist next year. In addition, Reilly and Pods and possibly Thompson will come off our books next year.

I'm pretty sure cap space won't be the issue keeping Dangerfield.

Disagree....

They got an A in my book and I would be stoked if I was a doggies fan.

You would assume the earliest they will challenge for a flag is about 2017 - at which stage Griffen and Cooney would 31 and 32.

Losing Griffen absolutely hurts - but if you look at their list the one place they have high end players and depth is in the midfield. Libba, Macrae, Dalhaus, Wallis, Picken, Bontempelli are the future of that team and look to make a very strong and exciting midfield.

They have addressed their number one need (A big contested marking forward) by recruiting an absolute elite talent. He will work fantastically well with Crameri.

I am sure they would have liked to have kept Higgins - but he is output is nowhere near his potential.

Its this type of trading I would love our club to consider....

The Bulldogs had a surplus of very good midfielders and used this surplus (even though it was forced) to address their #1 list weakness.
They are paying him a million a year and he is no certainty at all. Cameron yeah that would have been a great move. Big gamble on Boyd working out many a highly rated tall don't.

We can't keep restructuring contracts forward for 3 years since losing Tippett. It brings more income into one year where the players lose out as in the final year their cash flow is much reduced.

If we need room we can delist next year. In addition, Reilly and Pods and possibly Thompson will come off our books next year.

I'm pretty sure cap space won't be the issue keeping Dangerfield.
agree, if we lose danger due to $$ it will be more because he is taking an offer worth more than we are prepared to pay rather than more than we possibly can pay.

We will have a figure in our heads about what he is worth and what is the max we can pay before compromising the rest of our list. if another team does a boyd like way overvalue offer then it will be up to danger as to if he takes that extra $$ or if staying here has its benefits that nullify the $$ difference.

Also delisting Martin doesn't free up all his wage, he will be replaced by a draftee so it frees hop the difference between their salary and that of Martin. Martin'd salary would reflect his position within our list as well as interest he has received from elsewhere (which is probably none or if any attached to a low wage) so we would be able to pay him quite low anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are paying him a million a year and he is no certainty at all. Cameron yeah that would have been a great move. Big gamble on Boyd working out many a highly rated tall don't.
Surely the Dogs could have upgraded their draft position with all of those players leaving?

They could then go to the draft and get a highly rated tall forward...the best in the draft. Their first pick they would be a huge show anyway you would think?

And they would be paying peanuts instead of getting a guy with 9 games and 1 year in him, that didn't set the world on fire. Oh, and paying him $1m a year plus rumoured $250k a year towards Griff's salary...

Gets a D in my book.

It may pay off, massive gamble.

Its no coincidence that long term AFL players like Smack, Pets, Johnston, Graham have been moved on. Massive focus on clearing up cap space.

Those guys have been moved on because the club has better options, including back up, in the positions they play. Or they simply aren't up to AFL standard.

There's a chance a couple may get picked up elsewhere, and I hope that's the case for their sake. But I don't think that cap space is the reason they're moving on.

If Martin delisted won't be for draft pick but you would think for un contracted player like Robinson .
As far as wage , you would have to think Martin on a small contract and any replacement would be on similar wage.

Also delisting Martin doesn't free up all his wage, he will be replaced by a draftee so it frees hop the difference between their salary and that of Martin. Martin'd salary would reflect his position within our list as well as interest he has received from elsewhere (which is probably none or if any attached to a low wage) so we would be able to pay him quite low anyway.
I think the plan would be to delist him and not fill the spot with anyone - so go into the season with one less senior player.

I personally don't think Martin's 100-200k is going to be much of a difference at all and something that will be freed up at the end of the season given I assume he'd only get a 1 year contract if we do re-sign him.

It is a fair comment to make in a forum such as this that he may be somewhat limited from a footy sense, but there are a couple of factors at play with the decision.
He may not be a Harvey but does have some of the traits we need to complete the team picture and thus fills a need. A team is the sum of individuals and not everyone needs to be a superstar.
We also need to juggle the list in terms of numbers and make sure we stay within the salary cap. By upgrading him to the main list means we don't have to draft 3 players and delist someone that we may not want to.

Good decision IMO. He has also improved each year so far and may improve his so called downside even more.

Sorry, wasn't saying that he shouldn't be upgraded. I think he has a lot to offer but is limited in deicsion making and disposal (as are plenty of Crows players :oops:) . I was merely commenting on the theory that you can't criticise players if you havnt played footy at a hight leve. You could shut down Big Footy right now onthat basis.

Delist martin to help keep star players? Was that originally one of bones ideas. It seems to follow his twisted thought processes pretty well.

If a player is delisted before the 1st list lodgement on OCT 31 cant he then be picked up by ANY club as a delisted free agent between Nov 1 and 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back