The new "Big" boys Shootouts and the 100 back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlo

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Joe Daniher
Tom Boyd
Jeremy Cameron
Tom Lynch
Jesse Hogan
Jake Carlisle
Jon Patton
Ben Brown
Darcy Moore
Peter Wright
Patrick Mcartin
Jarrad Waite

That is a list of some of the new big boys in the comp, I've added some of this years draft fancies.

Is there a chance over the next 5-7 years we see the return of the shootout? Can you envisage some of these blokes going head to head in shootouts? I honestly think the 100 goals for the big guys isn't too far away again.

Throw in...

Franklin
Hawkins
Roughead
Walker
Cloke
Pavlich
Riewoldt
Shultz
Jack Riewoldt
Petrie
Tippet
Kennedy
Darling (could qualify for both groups)

It's safe to say the big Full forwards stocks in our game will be pretty healthy for years to come.

Last edited:

I still remember when Buddy and Fev had a shootout in Rd 22 2008. Fev finished on 7 goals and a few behinds and Franklin on 4 goals and a few behinds. What made it so special was they were both gunning for the Coleman. Fev was 1 short on 99 while Franklin took it out. Such a good atmosphere, even though Carlton were throttled.

Game plans and tactics would have to change quite a bit to allow that to happen.

It's been the case throughout the history of the VFL/AFL that 100s tend to come in bunches. There have only been 57 totals of 100+ in a season, with only 43 of those being achieved in home and away matches.

Just three patches of around a decade each (1929-40, 1968-1978, 1987-1996) account for 43 out of the 57 instances. And it wasn't just a case of 1 player dominating, each of those periods had at least 6 different players kick 100. Hell, Peter McKenna managed to kick 143 goals in 1970 and still didn't top the goalkicking.

You need a winning combination of tactics and talent to get to 100 goals. Even if the new guys are up to the task the commonplace defensive tactics probably won't allow them to dominate like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Boyd will struggle to kick 50 in a season.

Joe Daniher
Tom Boyd
Jeremy Cameron
Tom Lynch
Jesse Hogan
Jake Carlisle
Jon Patton
Ben Brown
Darcy Moore
Peter Wright
Patrick Mcartin
Boyd and Wright are genuine big athletic guys. Boyd the better of them. Both could go on to be similar to Tippett. Boyd more likely to reach or exceed that level.
McCartin will play with passion but possibly of the level of Tex Walker or Jack Riewoldt.
Hogan and Tom Lynch are the true CHF's who hopefully become the Jono Brown and Nick Riewoldt types.
Carlisle, he could still be anything once he adapts to playing forward. Maybe even Chris Grant like. Plenty in this list will take grabs jumping over packs. Carlisle can take a grab from the middle of a pack.
Patton is like a young Tom Hawkins. Unfortunately the injuries might hold him back.
Ben Brown and Darcy Moore are tall skinny athletic types who need time to refine their game.

I don't think any of those guys will kick 100 goals though. They'll be rucking, kicking points, playing up the ground, beaten for pace by elite defenders.

The 2nd most likely is Daniher. He's like a young Paul Salmon. At the same time he's also unlikely due to the restaints of the modern game, but his leap, reach and movement puts him in with a chance.

The one with the best shot is Cameron. He's this period's Franklin. He has speed, strength in the air, unbelievable ability once it hits the deck and the finishing skills to kick goals from anywhere. Plus he kicked 60 goals in a struggling team in his second year.

I still remember when Buddy and Fev had a shootout in Rd 22 2008. Fev finished on 7 goals and a few behinds and Franklin on 4 goals and a few behinds. What made it so special was they were both gunning for the Coleman. Fev was 1 short on 99 while Franklin took it out. Such a good atmosphere, even though Carlton were throttled.

And Clarko putting men back to stop Fev kicking the ton, poor form

I think with Hawthorn's success with a high scoring game plan + the emergence of an attacking Port Adelaide we might see an emphasis on attack in the coming years.

Instead of seeing Coleman medallists winning with 65-75 goals as of recent, 80+ will be the benchmark and 100 goals a season might be possible within a few years time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back