Recruiting James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Remove this Banner Ad

13 was used by Ben Duscher, the VFL captain. Since the Bendigo alignment was dropped and the seconds were actually called Essendon too, the player numbers at the club don't double up.

With the exception of Duscher, therefore, all the VFL listed players had numbers of 48 and over.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened had we drafted Long with Duscher not retiring.
Long could've took #4 for VFL and played #13 for AFL.

Tom Wallis, Jett Bewick and Harvey Daniher have all been included in the Cannons training squad for next year. Matthew Neagle has been included in the Bushrangers training squad.

Wallis and Daniher are eligible to draft next year, Bewick potentially is but honestly I'm not 100% sure and Matt Neagle is a 2016 prospect.

Wallis I expect will be a key midfielder for Calder next year and could be in the hunt for rep teams as well having already played some senior EDFL footy this year.

Daniher and Bewick have both had issues with stress fractures so hopefully they can get that sorted out and have a good crack at it.

Matt Neagle is a bit of flea at this stage, but is only 16 so will probably still grow a bit before his time.

Exciting times! Now watch the AFL change the rules on us

Because Eddie carried on like a dumb clown about the Sydney academy, the AFL decided that there would be a rule change to encompass both the four northern academies and F/S bidding. They couldn't work out howto do it in time for this years bidding but will have changed it in time for the 2015 bidding.

The old days of gettng F/S steals appear to be over and certainly multiple F/S steals will be very difficult to manage.

In 2015, Sydney have two highly rated prospects, Mills from their academy and Josh Dunkley F/S. Eddie will make sure that they can't get both and will make sure they pay close to market value for the one they are allowed (unless the AFL makes up another rule on the run to stop them bidding). That will of course affect every other F/S drafting in future and we haven't yet had a single F/S in our history but when we do well pay full value.

Eddie likes the sound of his own voice and should have just shut up, what goes around comes around and other clubs will be hurt by the new rules as well from 2015. Like I said, Eddie is a dumb clown!

Academies are a great way to spread the game in non-football areas. Its pretty much how Rugby League still operates, for now, as far as I'm aware. Clubs given an area to spend their money and develop the junior game. Think they want rid of it now because of the cost.

Having the Sydney/Qld teams have first dibs on the local talent will lead to some unfair situations where they pick up talent for way unders. This happens anyway, no worse than Port getting "the games best ruck/forward" for stuff all. At least it is worth it for the progression of the code.

If anything they should make it more rewarding for clubs to invest in academies, not less. I'd like to see a system that encourages every club to invest up to a million in non-football state academies and maybe create another list category for academy players so clubs don't even have us a pick on them.

All nerfing the academies does is undermine the efforts of the AFL to spread its wings in traditionally rugby regions.

If anything they should make it more rewarding for clubs to invest in academies, not less. I'd like to see a system that encourages every club to invest up to a million in non-football state academies and maybe create another list category for academy players so clubs don't even have us a pick on them.

All nerfing the academies does is undermine the efforts of the AFL to spread its wings in traditionally rugby regions.

You reckon. I don't see how acadamies are good for grass roots football. Cherry picking the most talented atheletes away from there junior clubs does nothing for the future development of the game imo.

For me the non footballing states should focus providing quality coaching to players at all skill levels and develop stronger domestic competition. The academies are wonderful for creating AFL level players but they don't represent a sustainable solution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You reckon. I don't see how acadamies are good for grass roots football. Cherry picking the most talented atheletes away from there junior clubs does nothing for the future development of the game imo.

For me the non footballing states should focus providing quality coaching to players at all skill levels and develop stronger domestic competition. The academies are wonderful for creating AFL level players but they don't represent a sustainable solution.
I think they would do this under the academy system. Surely it would be worth their while growing the game to scoop the cream off the top of a larger pool of talent?

I think they would do this under the academy system. Surely it would be worth their while growing the game to scoop the cream off the top of a larger pool of talent?

That's not how it works at all. A number of players picked in the academy system aren't footballers they are tall and athletic juniors from other codes/sport like Rugby, Soccer and even Basketball

10155750_592886294148591_7072440839106007753_n.jpg

Meet Alwyn junior and Jayden Davey, the 10-year-old twin sons of Alwyn Davey. I do a segment up in Darwin on ABC called Talking Junior Footy. This week I interviewed these boys and both love their footy and would love to play AFL one day. Great kids. The interview will be shown locally in the NT on Saturday on ABC but I'll try post a link on my NT Football Facebook page that I run. See below for the link.

https://www.facebook.com/ntfootball

those 3 were tremendous value at VFL games last year when they were watching Alwyn go around at Windy Hill.

Balls on the roof of the aquatics centre, balls over the fence onto the bowling green, balls onto the playing surface when the actual play was in that area of the ground and one hit me in the back of the scone as well.

Hopefully we can play one of them out of chf with Daniher playing in a pocket in a few years time

Meet Alwyn junior and Jayden Davey, the 10-year-old twin sons of Alwyn Davey. I do a segment up in Darwin on ABC called Talking Junior Footy. This week I interviewed these boys and both love their footy and would love to play AFL one day. Great kids. The interview will be shown locally in the NT on Saturday on ABC but I'll try post a link on my NT Football Facebook page that I run. See below for the link.

Little one is an uncanny likeness of his dad. #tadpole

can you comment on Jake Long's height JDC! seeing as you seem to have had first hand contact with him?

I remember seeing footage of him from last year ish and he looked to be a bit taller than average in a side stacked with short blokes, and is 'officially' listed in some parts at 176, but a guy on bomberblitz who lives in the top end reckons he's a touch taller than that, and then the notoriously unreliable Paige Cardona goes out and apparently says he's 189 :)eek:)...thoughts?

And of course twins get bundled in a F/S two for one "unsplittable" package

Remove this Banner Ad

Back