AFL Autopsy Praccy: Geelong win by a couple and Ridley cops a quad - 01/03

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
After an uninspiring hitout against the Saints I'd like to think we will see a better tune up for our round 1 game against the Hawks.
Cats have been our boggie side for some time - especially down there...
At least we will get some senior players back - hopefully we see a line up something like;-

Reid McKay McGrath
Redman Ridley Martin
Durham Parish Duursma
Gresham Langford Caldwell
Stringer 2MP Menzie

Draper Setterfield Merrett

Bench from: Hind Kelly Tsatas Perkins Roberts Bryan (not sure how many we can have..??)

Comon Dons...!!!

After an uninspiring hitout against the Saints I'd like to think we will see a better tune up for our round 1 game against the Hawks.
Cats have been our boggie side for some time - especially down there...
At least we will get some senior players back - hopefully we see a line up something like;-

Reid McKay McGrath
Redman Ridley Martin
Durham Parish Duursma
Gresham Langford Caldwell
Stringer 2MP Menzie

Draper Setterfield Merrett

Bench from: Hind Kelly Tsatas Perkins Roberts Bryan (not sure how many we can have..??)

Comon Dons...!!!
Is Caddy fit? Would love to see him get some minutes.

In any case, no injuries please.

My main focus will be to see how McKay goes against Hawkins.

I didn't see the game against St Kilda so I can't say much, however, a lot of posters went to town on McGrath. I'd really like to see him hit form this week, locking down on Stengle and rebounding productively. He'll go into R1 probably taking either Ginnivan or Nick Watson. It would be pretty embarrassing for him if Watson makes him look old and slow already.

Also, I don't want to see Heppell in the side. Enough please, thank you.

Is this the thread where we come to melt?
200w.gif

yep.
Start time 6pm Friday.

Yeah it is good we finally have a big man in McKay to stand on the other big men like Hawkins - he's really tormented us over the years...!!
This is the matchup I've been waiting the most for once we got McKay in.
Hawkins has reveled in kicking goals and trouncing Essendon. Hopefully we can at least take care of one of those things.

I know it's a practice match, but the last time Essendon beat Geelong it was back in 2018.

Hawkins has kicked 29 goals against us over the last 6 times we’ve played the Cats - effectively 5 goals a game average..!!
We haven’t beaten the Cats since round 9 2018 - Zakka had a day out that day, Hooker n Goddard played well also - Cats had Ablett, Selwood n Stew Crameri playing for them - Hawkins was quiet with only 3 goals..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins has kicked 29 goals against us over the last 6 times we’ve played the Cats - effectively 5 goals a game average..!!
We haven’t beaten the Cats since round 9 2018 - Zakka had a day out that day, Hooker n Goddard played well also - Cats had Ablett, Selwood n Stew Crameri playing for them - Hawkins was quiet with only 3 goals..

So McKay is looked to as the remedy.
Let's imagine conservatively that with McKay he's only averaging two goals a game, they'd still have beaten us wouldn't they?

So McKay is looked to as the remedy.
Let's imagine conservatively that with McKay he's only averaging two goals a game, they'd still have beaten us wouldn't they?
Last time Hawkins lined up against McKay he kicked three. Last he lined up against us he kicked eight.

All this talk about Hawkins - Jeremy Cameron is not a bad footballer either I believe..!!

Not so sure going by recent history against the Cats.

They ended our season a few years ago in round 1!
Heh, it gets more depressing than that. We've beaten them 4 times since 2003, and lost 21 times (by an average losing margin of close to 50 points).

Anyway, I would like to see a more serious effort this week (willing to give the club the benefit of the doubt for the Saints shitshow), and no injuries. Don't have to win, but at the least, make a fight out of it, and show what we've been working on this pre-season.

Need to see Andy without Heppell, they do not compliment each other at all, way too anxious when they're both involved, Nic Martin can elevate Andys game.

McGrath McKay Ridley
Redman Reid Martin

I'd like to see that, 4 good kickers, McGrath who is prone to a howler or 2 but is serviceable enough by foot and Mckay who is average but doesn't need to be making any game breaking kicks.

Tsatas, Duursma, Durham, Setterfield, Parish and Merrett. That group need to work hard both ways to support the back 6.

In terms of our other major weakness, contested marking, I'm not sure we'll see much improvement here this week, what we can see is our guys not getting outmarked, halving contests will be a start.

I came over for that one with zero expectation given we'd been smacked by Carlton the week prior. Ridley's debut too I think. Smack was in one of his John Coleman moods early on in that game, got us off to a ripping start.

We have to bring a real sense of effort and want in this hit out. Not happy to go through the motions and have a number of players get their hands on the footy. Leaders need to start to stand up now. Otherwise it will be another pre season wasted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back