Remove this Banner Ad

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
20t1pg4.jpg

So how will the ladder look at the end of the 2015 Premier B H&A season-in other words, who would make the finals and which teams would be relegated to Premier C for 2016?

Expect to see an Old Brighton v St Kevins Grand Final matchup (hopefully NOT at Sportscover Arena). Premier C Premiers Hampton Rovers to stay up a year. Parkdale Vultures to be relegated along with Fitzroy Reds.
Very early days but I'd be very surprised if St Bedes aren't serious contenders for the silverware.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expect to see an Old Brighton v St Kevins Grand Final matchup (hopefully NOT at Sportscover Arena). Premier C Premiers Hampton Rovers to stay up a year. Parkdale Vultures to be relegated along with Fitzroy Reds.

Nice assessment there Jase. OB a pretty solid unit this year and I have seen much worse sides survive in ‘A’ grade. If they retain most of their list I expect them to come straight back up.

St Bedes a bit of an unknown. Good top end talent, if not great depth. First time in years they have not had strong 19s so not as many youngsters pushing up. However they did have a good number of eligible 19s play regular senior footy in 2014. If they keep the core together they will be a real handful in ‘B’ grade. Richards, Wintle, Robertson, Barnes, Doherty and others will tear it apart !

Any early news on your mob Jase?

Nice assessment there Jase. OB a pretty solid unit this year and I have seen much worse sides survive in ‘A’ grade. If they retain most of their list I expect them to come straight back up.

St Bedes a bit of an unknown. Good top end talent, if not great depth. First time in years they have not had strong 19s so not as many youngsters pushing up. However they did have a good number of eligible 19s play regular senior footy in 2014. If they keep the core together they will be a real handful in ‘B’ grade. Richards, Wintle, Robertson, Barnes, Doherty and others will tear it apart !

Any early news on your mob Jase?

Rooster 24 - you have NO idea. The talent that St.Bedes has in it's wings is better then most A grade clubs! You've obviously forgotten about the u/19 flag won only 2 years ago, 90% of those kids impressed in the reserves last year when available and not injured! Plus the development of a few younger kids during season 2014 in the seniors. PLUS the recruitment of very good players from the Southern League Div 1 Grand Final.

Old Brighton are pretenders and play boring footy.

Rooster 24 - you have NO idea. The talent that St.Bedes has in it's wings is better then most A grade clubs! You've obviously forgotten about the u/19 flag won only 2 years ago, 90% of those kids impressed in the reserves last year when available and not injured! Plus the development of a few younger kids during season 2014 in the seniors. PLUS the recruitment of very good players from the Southern League Div 1 Grand Final.

Old Brighton are pretenders and play boring footy.

Pieman. Either I have not been clear enough or you have misinterpreted the meaning of my post. I made a point of mentioning St Bedes young talent and have suggested in this and previous posts that I expect them to be back in ‘A’ grade pretty quickly. However my comment about lack of depth is on the money. I am aware the 19s won a flag in 2013 and many of those lads played seniors in 2014 but last year both the 19s and reserves forfeited a game which is unprecedented at Premier level. This suggests that currently the club has a lack of depth but as stated the top end talent is very good.

Up until 2012 De La were the benchmark of the U19s competition. 6 x U19 flags in 8 years and a couple of reserves flags in that time as well. However there is a massive jump in class from 19s and 2s to seniors. You need to both hang on to them and hope they can make the transition to senior football. 19s flags are great but they don’t guarantee success at senior level. To further illustrate this point Xavs played in 5 U19 GF’s in row between 09 and 13 (albeit for just 1 flag) but from those teams only a few have gone on to become regular senior players.

Also I be genuinely interested to hear about your recruits from the SFL GF. A few stand out players from both teams but on my assessment only the best players from each of those teams are ‘A’ grade VAFA standard. Don't want to get into this argument again but it is acknowledged that there is big difference in standard between VAFA and SFL. Quite a few of the EB players previously played at our club.

Having said all that I expect St Bedes to be back in ‘A’ grade by 2016 or soon after.

My final 4:

Old Melburnians
St Kevins
Mazenod
Old Brighton

Grand Final: Old Melburnians v St Kevins
Premiers: Old Melburnians
Relegation: Parkdale Vultures, Fitzroy Reds
Where would Hampton Rovers finish: 6th
Team to Watch: Old Brighton

You don't appear to rate St Bedes, Jase. Reckon those who don't see them as serious contenders will be in for a surprise.

As for your mob, will Corp be back? And do you expect to lose many?
It will be interesting to see how the new surface at Old Brighton will play and also stand up to the rigours of winter during the June-August period.
BTW, interesting to note that the VAFA has proposed a two week break for the whole comp next season. Thoughts?

It will be interesting to see how the new surface at Old Brighton will play and also stand up to the rigours of winter during the June-August period.
BTW, interesting to note that the VAFA has proposed a two week break for the whole comp next season. Thoughts?
There is a thread for this, Jase.

The proposal is for the two week mid year break to be for the Premier sections only. I imagine the players and support staff would welcome it. Some supporters may suffer footy deprivation.:eek: It appears to me from the wording on the VAFA website the powers-that-be are leaning toward that option.

Never found the surface at South Road to be an issue. The cold windy weather on the other hand..........

If I was in charge of putting together the VAFA Premier B fixture, this is how I'd program Round 1:

Hampton Rovers v Old Brighton (2013 Premier C flag unfurling)
Old Melburnians v St Bedes Mentone Tigers
AJAX v Caulfield Grammarians
Fitzroy Reds v St Kevins
Parkdale Vultures v Mazenod

Remove this Banner Ad

Back