A Section Premier Section 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Mike Olotripo

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well, with premier section done for 2022, let's get onto premier section 2023.

Sides in Premier will be as follows

St Kevin's
Old Brighton
Collegians
Old Xaverians
Old Melburnians
Old Scotch
Caulfield Grammarians
University Blues
Old Haileybury
University Blacks

It seems there is a firm establishment of premier football clubs around the inner south and inner east of Melbourne with the two university sides.

I'm sure a few will comment on the APS old boys and university sides now!

Would love to see how the old boys would go against the district clubs if all the players they had were playing for the love of the game. Bring in a real ammos competition and it would be very different
I don't think I understand what you're insinuating here ...

Interesting to see where next year's William Buck Premier Grand Final will be played at. Is it possible that 2019 might've been the last ever A Section/William Buck Premier Grand Final played at Elsternwick Park/Sportscover Arena?

Interesting to see where next year's William Buck Premier Grand Final will be played at. Is it possible that 2019 might've been the last ever A Section/William Buck Premier Grand Final played at Elsternwick Park/Sportscover Arena?
Prior to an HQ decision, it will depend on the weather and ground condition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

😂 Can I suggest you listen to the interview Mr Jok did on the VAFA podcast in grand final week? Perhaps you will learn a thing or two about people’s motivations.

No insinuating about it, ex AFL players aren’t going to play VAFA just for the love of the game when they can still earn a few extra dollars in country and suburban leagues.
I think many will and currently do. Blokes who come through exclusive private schools (particularly those who parents are reasonably well heeled) are less likely to go to the suburban leagues for a few bucks I think. Many will favour using the networks available within large Ammo clubs to progress a professional career or business opportunity.

Unfortunately the AFL has less and less Dougie Hawkins and Fev types....more and more Christian Petraccas... I ask you would he play for OB or a local club?

Add in Josh Kennedy, Dan Haneberry and 2 brothers...plus a core of 19s, reserves youngsters. Reckon they'll be ok
Imagine a player with the status of Josh Kennedy playing Ammos.....would be awesome. I have to doubt it though given his hammy issues and likely AFL involvement (quietly hoping Essendon get him). Yes Xavs will be fine....they are always fine!!!

Add in Josh Kennedy, Dan Haneberry and 2 brothers...plus a core of 19s, reserves youngsters. Reckon they'll be ok
I am not talking about whether they'll be ok or not, I am talking about this years players. But whilst you brought up the point of next years crop, I doubt an injury riddled 35 year old Mr Kennedy will be a difference maker at this level, whilst Mr Hannebery I believe will have the year off if what he told me is accurate. Mr Gowers will certainly be a good player, if he does move back to Melbourne.

However, they have shown they are a fair way off the top teams and those teams will only get stronger next year as well, so the arms race will continue with other teams trying to catch a very young SKOB premiership team who played with 21 old boys in their 2022 premiership, and made a mockery of the VAFA's points cap of 45 points.

I am not talking about whether they'll be ok or not, I am talking about this years players. But whilst you brought up the point of next years crop, I doubt an injury riddled 35 year old Mr Kennedy will be a difference maker at this level, whilst Mr Hannebery I believe will have the year off if what he told me is accurate. Mr Gowers will certainly be a good player, if he does move back to Melbourne.

However, they have shown they are a fair way off the top teams and those teams will only get stronger next year as well, so the arms race will continue with other teams trying to catch a very young SKOB premiership team who played with 21 old boys in their 2022 premiership, and made a mockery of the VAFA's points cap of 45 points.
Gowers as well....didn't hear that. If Xavs go for speed ie their youth. I see a new era to take it up to the top 3 teams! They looked too slow imo, but get the young kids in and let them play instead of replicating AFL style footy.

Maybe use Kennedy etc in development roles? May not even need them!

Gowers as well....didn't hear that. If Xavs go for speed ie their youth. I see a new era to take it up to the top 3 teams! They looked too slow imo, but get the young kids in and let them play instead of replicating AFL style footy.

Maybe use Kennedy etc in development roles? May not even need them!
I think you'll find that Kennedy has a job in Sydney post football, so it will be very unlikely he will be playing at OX next year.

From what I heard on RSN a couple of weeks back leading into the VFL grand final, Billy Gowers has plans to move back to Melbourne by the end of the year and seemed to discuss the time impacts of playing VFL football, which now consists of working full-time or studying full-time, plus a couple of weights sessions at least, plus three training sessions a week, as well as playing for Southport and playing every second week in Melbourne / flying down, back up etc, becoming very demanding. I would say, if he's back in Melbourne then take it to the bank that he's going to be playing at Old Xavs and will be a great pickup for Xavs and the competition.

In other news, it is great news down at the Harry Trott that we have got Jared Rivers coaching us again in 2023. I suspect all premier clubs in 2023 will go into the season with no senior coaching changes from this year based on current reports.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back