A Section Premier Section 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

So the defending champions Collegians will look to go back to back, whilst SKOB will look to make it six grand finals in a row and hope to overcome the purple army.

It won’t be easy, Collegians were awesome in the 2023 season, but now they will be the hunted.

Can Dan Donati turn the success of the OX under 19 and reserves team into a competitive senior outfit in in 2024?

How will the post Ayce era pan out for the Blues?

Will Scotch contend again or was it a flash in the pan?

How will Blacks overcome the loss of the big man Steadman?

Will OM’s rely on Borthwick’s fitness to send them up the ladder?

Will Old Brighton ban mid year holidays?

Will the Bernies continue to take all before them after their almost undefeated season in 2023?

And of course, how will Uni Reds(aka as Fitzroy) fare in A grade for the first time, alongside bitter rivals Uni Blacks and Uni Blues?

Talking to myself a little here, but the rumours of Donuts’ deal with OX, if true, is suffice to say, out of this world and unprecedented in local footy. Not bad for a guy they were happy to have as just an assistant a few years ago.

Regarding the now vacant Old Brighton job, surely Jon Edgar is a worthy candidate? The Tonners should seriously consider him, he’s exactly what they need and a genuine proven winner.

It will be interesting to hear about retirements from this year's teams. It's already public knowledge that Dave Mirra and Lachie Ferguson are not going around next year for Collegians, both having hung up the boots.

It will be interesting to hear about retirements from this year's teams. It's already public knowledge that Dave Mirra and Lachie Ferguson are not going around next year for Collegians, both having hung up the boots.
Take those ten goals out of the Collegians score and you still win by 5 goals Penski so I’m sure Collegians can more than cover them!

As much as I hated it at the time, how good was Ferguson on Sunday, he was simply electric. Added to the fact that he’s a ripping guy, it was a great way for him to finish his footy career.

I don’t claim to know Mirra, but I believe he’s in a similar vein to Ferg, he’s been brilliant for the VAFA.

I don’t know of any retirements from my mob as yet, it’s a pretty young group, maybe Phil Edgar?

Take those ten goals out of the Collegians score and you still win by 5 goals Penski so I’m sure Collegians can more than cover them!

As much as I hated it at the time, how good was Ferguson on Sunday, he was simply electric. Added to the fact that he’s a ripping guy, it was a great way for him to finish his footy career.

I don’t claim to know Mirra, but I believe he’s in a similar vein to Ferg, he’s been brilliant for the VAFA.

I don’t know of any retirements from my mob as yet, it’s a pretty young group, maybe Phil Edgar?

Plats, you are spot on re: Fergy and Mirra. Fergy was just unstoppable. You really had to be there to appreciate it, just an amazing effort. Mirra is just "gold"for any Club with young players coming through. He is passionate and caring for those around him. A huge amount of his endeavours rubbed off on everyone who played with him....Thinking he wont be lost to Colls in 2024.

Sorry all, I have had a busy couple of days celebrating the flag win on Sunday. I've only watched the replay twice.

It has been a little while between senior flags at Collegians, but our 18th A grade flag was probably our most empathetic in the club's history.

We won the toss and kicked with a 5 goal wind, which helped us.

It was just wonderful to see the brand of footy we played all year on display early in the game, hard tackling, ferocious and attacking football. Lachie Ferguson had a September to remember. Ferg saved his two best games of the year for finals and his grand final was just incredible to behold. He was in everything, tackling hard, winning crumbs and kicking goals. He kicked 5, had at least 3 direct goal assists and I'd say at least 8 tackles, he was just unstoppable. Mirra was marking everything all day and the forward line had supreme service from the midfield all day. Viv Michie going into the middle of the first quarter when we started to get on top in the middle really helped assert our clearance dominance and our first quarter goals all came in a hurry.

Our defensive unit was strong all day and it's amazing to think that all of them are under 25. Sofronidis, Beilby, Warren, McCleary, Canny, Pewtress, they are all genuine gun defenders who helped propel a lot of our attacks and thwarted a dangerous SKOB forward line despite Edgar not playing. It was genuinely terrific to see how well these boys played, especially in the second quarter when SKOB had the wind.

The third quarter was a sight to behold and I was still in disbelief as to how far in front we were at 3/4 time, let alone by the end of the game.

We had some terrific stories, players like Lachie Ferguson adding a third senior premiership along with the Jock Nelson Medal, Will Pocknee who has toiled away on the fringes for 10 years, Sam Hibbins who finally played in a premiership after so many defeats, Viv Michie playing in a premiership as well after losing grand finals in 2017 and 2018 with us. It was just terrific to see the smile on so many blokes faces post games in the rooms and the side is quite youthful, which should hold the club in great stead going forward. It is amazing to think that in 2021 we won 2 games in that shortened COVID interrupted year and we thought after many years competing at the top of A grade it might be different, but I'm just really glad Jared Rivers and the boys have stuck at it and improved. We played a lot of kids in 2021 fresh out of Wesley and with very little or zero senior footy under their belts like Mayhood, Orgill, Pinchbeck, Watson, Canny and they are all premiership players, plus we have another half a dozen who are 23 and under who missed out who have played a lot of senior footy and will play more senior footy in the future.

Also, it was great to see the purple army out in full force after a tiny crowd at the second semi final. There were literally scores of people were there and a good size crowd for the grand final as SKOB are a good strong club with a decent sized following as well. Sam Critchley spoke really well post game and he played his guts out as well.

It was a great day of VAFA footy and a great day for the Collegians Football Club, go lions!

Plats, you are spot on re: Fergy and Mirra. Fergy was just unstoppable. You really had to be there to appreciate it, just an amazing effort. Mirra is just "gold"for any Club with young players coming through. He is passionate and caring for those around him. A huge amount of his endeavours rubbed off on everyone who played with him....Thinking he wont be lost to Colls in 2024.
I can still remember Ferg's first game for Collegians. It was down at Brighton, rain coming in sideways, pitch black skies, ground a mud heap, and here's this 17-year-old kid, still in year 12, that Hibbo lines up in the forward pocket. He would have laid 15 of the hardest tackles you've ever seen that day and kicked two goals and right then we knew we had something special.

An amazing career, and an amazing clubman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collegians now have 18 A grade premierships
Yep, 18 Premier flags, and 16 times runner's up. That's 34 GF appearances in the top flight. 8 GF appearances in the 15 years since we've been back in the top flight. (record of 3-5)

Next best overall in terms of grand final appearances being both OX and Ormond with 20 appearances each at the top level.

Here's the top 15 by flags won: -

ClubA Grade PremiersRunner's UpTotal Grand FinalsWinning %
Collegians18163453%
Old Xaverians1462070%
University Blacks1231580%
Ormond9112045%
Old Scotch Collegians971656%
De La Salle O.C.651155%
Old Paradians61786%
Old Melburnians561145%
Leopold54956%
University Blues491331%
South St. Kilda404100%
St Bernard’s34743%
St Kevin’s OB33650%
South Yarra32560%
North Old Boys26825%

Yep, 18 Premier flags, and 16 times runner's up. That's 34 GF appearances in the top flight. 8 GF appearances in the 15 years since we've been back in the top flight. (record of 3-5)

Next best overall in terms of grand final appearances being both OX and Ormond with 20 appearances each at the top level.

Here's the top 15 by flags won: -

ClubA Grade PremiersRunner's UpTotal Grand FinalsWinning %
Collegians18163453%
Old Xaverians1462070%
University Blacks1231580%
Ormond9112045%
Old Scotch Collegians971656%
De La Salle O.C.651155%
Old Paradians61786%
Old Melburnians561145%
Leopold54956%
University Blues491331%
South St. Kilda404100%
St Bernard’s34743%
St Kevin’s OB33650%
South Yarra32560%
North Old Boys26825%
Thanks for that , interesting a couple of clubs there

Ferguson and Mirra have been stars of our club. I think the influence Mirra has had on this playing group has been immense and cannot be underestimated. He drove standards, pushed blokes and he's a big reason we went from second last two years ago to premiers on Sunday.

Congrats to collegians on their win. Seemed to be best side wire to wire this year.
Pleased for mike, Penski and FF who always come across as reasonable fellas and have somewhat opened my eyes as to the operation of collegians as a club. Well done lads and enjoy!

What was the story with Jok? Big loss - doubt he would have covered the difference however

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Congrats to collegians on their win. Seemed to be best side wire to wire this year.
Pleased for mike, Penski and FF who always come across as reasonable fellas and have somewhat opened my eyes as to the operation of collegians as a club. Well done lads and enjoy!

What was the story with Jok? Big loss - doubt he would have covered the difference however

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Thanks Hansie.

I think Jok had a tight calf / achilles for a little bit and it went on him in the warm up prior to the preliminary final.

It seems that Old Brighton have to go back to the drawing board to find a senior coach once again and it's not ideal having to start the process when it's almost October.

I'm not too sure whether Hutchy would do it again, but from what I've heard through some connections down in the bayside area, those connected with Old Brighton are absolutely ropable at Old Xavs, which is fully understandable.

Also, just on Old Xavs, it seems rather strange that when they sacked Satterley and had Donati as his right hand man (assistant) that they didn't just appoint Donati as senior coach back then. Either way, pencil in Old Brighton v Old Xaverians next year to be a particularly fiery game!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back