UEFA Champions League: Match Day 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, their aggressive pressing game is a joy to watch. Not sure what's going on in their own league though.
Exactly, Dortmund's gegenpressing really causes problems for teams. you see what they do to Madrid last year despite many injuries, only just get eliminated. Getting full strength squad back slowly, i still believe they'll finish top four in league once they start rolling (hopefully starting against Hannover :p).

When will the blame start being laid on Rodgers?
Hmm... he has a few credits in the bank considering where we were when he took over to where we are now. Competing in the CL. Sure he had Suarez but it's BR who has gotten the best out of Suarez and gotten the best out of Sterling, Hendo, Flanno etc...

He is having some real problems figuring out how to defend though.

BVB look a million bucks in the champions league, potential winners, nobody would want to play them

i saw the instant highlights as they happened (cheers espn3)

i have a feeling dortmund might come up against better defences than that from gala. ironically manager by an italian, couldn't defend to save their lives. reus' was a peach though.

Hmm... he has a few credits in the bank considering where we were when he took over to where we are now. Competing in the CL. Sure he had Suarez but it's BR who has gotten the best out of Suarez and gotten the best out of Sterling, Hendo, Flanno etc...

He is having some real problems figuring out how to defend though.

Fair enough, jut seems everyones quick to jump on the players not the guy who brought them there and is running the way the team is playing.

Agree he's having real trouble trying to work out the art of defense.

Fair enough, jut seems everyones quick to jump on the players not the guy who brought them there and is running the way the team is playing.

Agree he's having real trouble trying to work out the art of defense.
Carragher had a fair crack at Rodgers after the game. Basically saying what we've been thinking. What makes Rodgers think he can succeed with Balo where others which more credentials have failed and absolving Balo of blame. He said Rodgers panic bought in the summer.

Carragher had a fair crack at Rodgers after the game. Basically saying what we've been thinking. What makes Rodgers think he can succeed with Balo where others which more credentials have failed and absolving Balo of blame. He said Rodgers panic bought in the summer.

I wouldn't call it a panic buy, far from it. We had more than enough opportunity over the summer to sign a number of strikers, Remy in particular was ready to put pen to paper. We obviously became aware that Balotelli (whose form over the previous 2 seasons was actually very good contrary to popular belief - Serie A TotS 2012/13, 30 goals in 54 games) would be available and switched our focus to a player we thought could be a more than serviceable backup for Sturridge. Carragher himself declared that Mario was 'a great deal' at £16m when we signed him, so I think it's a bit unfair for him to be using the benefit of hindsight to change his tune here and criticize the club for signing him in the first place. Criticize his performances and criticize the team's performances, but after declaring him a bargain in August it's a bit rich to say the club were stupid and naive to buy him less than 2 months later.

This has nothing to do with 'taming' Mario, he's kept his nose clean since arriving at Anfield (as he did during his time at AC Milan), and has shown a willingness to work on the pitch. His problem is that he just doesn't understand the way we play, and hasn't clicked with his team mates yet. He's not reading the patterns or speed of our play so he's making the wrong types of runs and the wrong decisions with the ball which is causing our attacks to break down. Will that improve if we give him time? Who knows, but I think some people have completely the wrong impression as to why he hasn't been a success at Liverpool so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't call it a panic buy, far from it. We had more than enough opportunity over the summer to sign a number of strikers, Remy in particular was ready to put pen to paper. We obviously became aware that Balotelli (whose form over the previous 2 seasons was actually very good contrary to popular belief - Serie A TotS 2012/13, 30 goals in 54 games) would be available and switched our focus to a player we thought could be a more than serviceable backup for Sturridge. Carragher himself declared that Mario was 'a great deal' at £16m when we signed him, so I think it's a bit unfair for him to be using the benefit of hindsight to change his tune here and criticize the club for signing him in the first place. Criticize his performances and criticize the team's performances, but after declaring him a bargain in August it's a bit rich to say the club were stupid and naive to buy him less than 2 months later.

This has nothing to do with 'taming' Mario, he's kept his nose clean since arriving at Anfield (as he did during his time at AC Milan), and has shown a willingness to work on the pitch. His problem is that he just doesn't understand the way we play, and hasn't clicked with his team mates yet. He's not reading the patterns or speed of our play so he's making the wrong types of runs and the wrong decisions with the ball which is causing our attacks to break down. Will that improve if we give him time? Who knows, but I think some people have completely the wrong impression as to why he hasn't been a success at Liverpool so far.
Carragher was criticizing how long it took to sign him as were plenty on here. He's certainly using hindsight. He was saying Liverpool should have spent the Suarez money on 1 or 2 gun players. Nobody really knows if they tried to do that though. Mario is an easy scapegoat imo. Without Sturridge against real, Balo didn't have anyone to pass to most of the time as Pool defended quite deep. They were overrun in midfield which is not really Balo's fault. Kroos and Modric dominated. Not sure if Carra has an angle or is saving face.

Rodgers didn't want to sign him and was left with little choice, really, although in hindsight I'd prefer Eto'o right about now

TBH I'd rather we sign Eto'o anyway and told Borini to * off, but apparently it's admirable for him to want to stay and fight for his place. Well so do I but you don't see me playing for Liverpool

Liverpool probably signed Mario late because other strikers chose better options. Mandzukic, Falcao, Costa etc. Either Rues rejected them too or Liverpool have rocks in their head for not going for him.

Poor Mario was duped into it after they finished second. He's the perfect scapegoat now, Gerrard must be loving it.

Carragher was criticizing how long it took to sign him as were plenty on here. He's certainly using hindsight. He was saying Liverpool should have spent the Suarez money on 1 or 2 gun players. Nobody really knows if they tried to do that though. Mario is an easy scapegoat imo. Without Sturridge against real, Balo didn't have anyone to pass to most of the time as Pool defended quite deep. They were overrun in midfield which is not really Balo's fault. Kroos and Modric dominated. Not sure if Carra has an angle or is saving face.

I've heard that argument, but if we'd done that then we wouldn't have had anywhere near enough depth to cope with CL football and I'm sure people would have criticized us for that instead!

Personally I think we had the right approach. We definitely needed extra cover all over the pitch and we now have 2 players for every position which was the plan at the start of the window. 2 of those signings (Lovren & Balotelli) have fallen well short of expectations so far but the rest have been impressive. We now have the core of the squad in place and the depth to cover multiple competitions, hopefully we can use the rest of the money left over from the Suarez sale to upgrade in a couple of positions over the next 1 or 2 transfer windows to push back into title contention.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back