Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skippos love your work on the phantom draft. Have you updated your draft to reflect the final standings?

Who do you have us picking with our first two picks?

Apologies if this has been asked 100,000 times before.:$:$:$

Sorry for the late reply. I just have - updated it all early this morning. I've got us selecting Hugh Goddard at 14, Daniel Capiron at 35 and Keenan Ramsay at 43. The Capiron selection was a bit tactical as McDonald was gone and the next best KPD was guaranteed to be there at 43.

When I was doing it things just didn't fall our way. I think we'll get someone better at 35 - a Wigg or Viojo-Rainbow perhaps... McDonald if we're lucky - it just didn't pan out that way when I was doing it. I don't think we'll go Goddard at 14 either, but given there are a good few players who it could be I just went with the bloke who's the best out of them IMO.

One thing for sure ... everyone on here is looking for elite kicking. Foot speed is also high on the list for most posters on this thread.

I'd love to get a footballer over an athlete - but the main thing has to be attitude. Which also happens to be one of the incredibly hard to pick qualities in a draftee :)

VB is a great example of attitude over flashy highlight reel. He does the team things first, second and third. Sure if they also happen to have a McLeod / Ricciuto / Modra upside I won't complain !!

Well how does anyone really know?

Isn't it what the thread is for - people to discuss and speculate, have their favourites they would like to see drafted?

None of us know who we will draft, much less who will make it and who won't.

It's just a bit of fun isn't it?
Yes it is but when people jump from player to player as soon as a new highlights video is released, surely common sense should prevail and we should all realise that every player has a great highlights reel. That's why they're called highlights.

Sorry for the late reply. I just have - updated it all early this morning. I've got us selecting Hugh Goddard at 14, Daniel Capiron at 35 and Keenan Ramsay at 43. The Capiron selection was a bit tactical as McDonald was gone and the next best KPD was guaranteed to be there at 43.

Just on those players you mentioned, its unlikely that any of them will play for us in 2015?

This is because there is no highlight reel. God please don't let us draft a VB at 14
Wow, lots of hate for Van Berlo. Yeah would hate to get a 10 year+, 150 game +, captain of the club. Imagine, how bad that would be.

If we don't get a Brownlow medalist at 14 I'll be spitting chips. Even looking at the 2004 year when we got Van Berlo at pick 24 - we could have got Angus Monfires at pick 14 !!! Talk about missing out.

Read somewhere that Adelaide are "thinking of taking someone at 14 not many have in the first round"... Is there any truth to this at all? I don't see the point in it seeing as there will still be very good 1st round talent at 14 but any chance it could be a reach for Maynard? Was reminded he was almost a F/S for you guys. Just got me thinking, is all.

Read somewhere that Adelaide are "thinking of taking someone at 14 not many have in the first round"... Is there any truth to this at all? I don't see the point in it seeing as there will still be very good 1st round talent at 14 but any chance it could be a reach for Maynard? Was reminded he was almost a F/S for you guys. Just got me thinking, is all.
"Read somewhere"...

Can stop being so specific.

Well that would make sense - doesn't mean it will happen - but it fits with our pick swap with Geelong.

Most have Maynard in the 50's though don't they? Can't see the need to grab him with 14.

Well that would make sense - doesn't mean it will happen - but it fits with our pick swap with Geelong.

Most have Maynard in the 50's though don't they? Can't see the need to grab him with 14.

I know Knightmare has him around that mark, but that's ridiculously low imo. Lot of respect for KM and the work he does, but Maynard is easily top 30, probably top 25 in this draft imo... Would be incredibly surprised if he lasted to your second pick (35). Think he's being underrated.

God I hope we don't take him with 14

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think that's the case. I feel that the club wanted to increase their second pick and didn't mind loosing 4 spot on our first considering the even field. I would still expect us to take the best available defender or outside mid at that pick.

Wow, lots of hate for Van Berlo. Yeah would hate to get a 10 year+, 150 game +, captain of the club. Imagine, how bad that would be.

If we don't get a Brownlow medalist at 14 I'll be spitting chips. Even looking at the 2004 year when we got Van Berlo at pick 24 - we could have got Angus Monfires at pick 14 !!! Talk about missing out.

Van Berlo has had a decently good career, i do like how his 2013 highlight reel really sums him up as a player... especially around the 0.50 mark.

Now there is nothing wrong with VB, but he's not an A grade mid or backman, just B grade and whilst he has forged a good career, B grade and coming back from an Achilles injury could be the end of him. If we drafted someone like him, i wouldn't complain but pick 14 has players with the promise of more than what VB has achieved in his career.

Van Berlo has had a decently good career, i do like how his 2013 highlight reel really sums him up as a player... especially around the 0.50 mark.

Now there is nothing wrong with VB, but he's not an A grade mid or backman, just B grade and whilst he has forged a good career, B grade and coming back from an Achilles injury could be the end of him. If we drafted someone like him, i wouldn't complain but pick 14 has players with the promise of more than what VB has achieved in his career.

OMG that kick from Smith at 1:15.

I don't think that's the case. I feel that the club wanted to increase their second pick and didn't mind loosing 4 spot on our first considering the even field. I would still expect us to take the best available defender or outside mid at that pick.
I think it is the case. Both Walsh and Noble said they have a player targeted that they are confident will be available regardless of if they had 10 or 14.

I think it is the case. Both Walsh and Noble said they have a player targeted that they are confident will be available regardless of if they had 10 or 14.

Ok I didn't realize that. It will be interesting to see who we select. Hope it's a Dangerfield or Talia like decision.

Oh please! From that list, the only one that might cop a tag from time to time is Stephen Hill and maybe, maybe Jetta when he is in red hot form. They rest are role players who provide run and carry for thier team. Mackay stacks up favouraboy against those guys. Sure he disappoints at times but he is no where near as bad as people on this board make him out to be.
Did you read my next post on the ones I said would draw a tag/attention?

Seriously, when was the last time Mackay had anyone play a run with role with him? The good ones get that quite a bit, or at least time from time/when they're firing up in a game. He's not preforming to the level we need from an outside player imo.

You look at our draft history from 2000-2004 and you get a feel for why players like Reilly got to 200 games and van Berlo got to 150. Not much competition. Bradbury city..

Pick - Player - Games

7 - Laurence Angwin - 0
38 - Michael Handby - 0
48 - Matthew Smith - 0

12 - Brent Reilly - 203
44 - Ben Finnin - 0
59 - Jacob Schuback - 7

32 - Luke Jericho - 33
56 - Robert Shirley - 128
68 - James Begley - 25

14 - Fergus Watts - 5
31 - Joshua Krueger - 0
58 - Ben Hudson - 55

8 - John Meesen - 2
24 - Nathan van Berlo - 182
28 - Chad Gibson - 0

That 5 year draft drought is also why we have been dead set s**t the last 5 years with one outlying season. A dearth of quality in the crucial 25-30 age bracket. At least we traded Thommo in but our drafting was diabolical.

Its a miracle and a testament to our recruiting and development since then that we haven't hit absolute bottom and our youngsters have been able to carry us to mid table.

If you're still in doubt, ask yourself what we would get for vB in a trade and then tell me you'd be happy with swapping pick 14 for that.

Can't see us picking Maynard in the first round either. Here are his highlights:

You look at our draft history from 2000-2004 and you get a feel for why players like Reilly got to 200 games and van Berlo got to 150. Not much competition. Bradbury city..

Pick - Player - Games

7 - Laurence Angwin - 0
38 - Michael Handby - 0
48 - Matthew Smith - 0

12 - Brent Reilly - 203
44 - Ben Finnin - 0
59 - Jacob Schuback - 7

32 - Luke Jericho - 33
56 - Robert Shirley - 128
68 - James Begley - 25

14 - Fergus Watts - 5
31 - Joshua Krueger - 0
58 - Ben Hudson - 55

8 - John Meesen - 2
24 - Nathan van Berlo - 182
28 - Chad Gibson - 0

That 5 year draft drought is also why we have been dead set s**t the last 5 years with one outlying season. A dearth of quality in the crucial 25-30 age bracket. At least we traded Thommo in but our drafting was diabolical.

Its a miracle and a testament to our recruiting and development since then that we haven't hit absolute bottom and our youngsters have been able to carry us to mid table.

If you're still in doubt, ask yourself what we would get for vB in a trade and then tell me you'd be happy with swapping pick 14 for that.
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back