Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Who will we draft? edition

Pick 11 - Who will it be

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The AIS team was all 17 year olds. No doubt he out played Heeney, Weller and others though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cockatoo is bottom aged as well, but he still has a very mature body compared to the rest. I still prefer Weller and think there would be better options at 11, but it's not a terrible choice. Similar to how Brandt Colledge goes about it?

Cockatoo is bottom aged as well, but he still has a very mature body compared to the rest. I still prefer Weller and think there would be better options at 11, but it's not a terrible choice. Similar to how Brandt Colledge goes about it?
Weller seems the best choice behind Pickett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He also looks lethargic and casual as **** in my opinion. Complete opposite from the way Pickett does when he plays. Cockatoo seriously reminds me of Jarrod Brennan more then anyone else. His lack of intensity is about the only thing i see wrong with picking him up though.

I get strong Des Headland vibes off him

2013 AFL U18 Championships

TODAY AT VICTORIA PARK THE NORTHERN TERRITORY LOST IN A THRILLER AGAINST QUEENSLAND IN WINDY CONDITIONS

Nakia Cockatoo

A great prospect for next year, good size at 184cm. Breaks through stoppages, good tackle (8 today) and pressure around the contest. Good pace and is able to run and carry the ball. Clearly best on ground with 17 disposals, 4 marks, 3 clearances, 4 inside 50’s and 3 rebounds. Was able to hit the scoreboard with 1 goal and 2 behinds.

http://madmondayshow.com/2013/07/04/northern-territory-rd-5-standouts-u18-championships/

- Nakia has already grown 4cm in one year. Only turned 18 a week ago, has plenty of time to grow another few cm.

I get strong Des Headland vibes off him
Then it's just a matter of managing him and ensuring his best isn't too far from his worst.

Headland was a great player when playing well. Considering the make-up of our current best 22, I'd rather a player who might take a long time to become consistent but still has potential to have a big impact in spurts, rather than a player who very consistently has an average impact. We have far too many of the latter and it seems to make us rather predictable to line up against.

Additionally (and note I'd prefer a few others over Cockatoo), I'm not sure how much the 'big body against kids' clause holds up when arguing against Cockatoo.

Sure, if he was a slow inside midfielder or full forward who dominated at U/18 level by busting their way through packs (see Waterman, Darling) then you could suggest their effectiveness would be dampened once everyone was on the same level in terms of bulk.

But in that match he wasn't necessarily using his bulk to win the ball or get clearances, he obviously has a high level of swervability and breakaway speed, which (given his size already) won't necessarily be dampened that much at AFL level.

Sure, he won't be able to fend off senior players with the ease in which he did in this match, but you don't necessarily have to be massive to weave your way between opposition players.

I also like the fact he seems extremely alert when he has the ball and doesn't seem to be one of those run and carry players who looks to blaze away at every opportuinity

Additionally (and note I'd prefer a few others over Cockatoo), I'm not sure how much the 'big body against kids' clause holds up when arguing against Cockatoo.

Sure, if he was a slow inside midfielder or full forward who dominated at U/18 level by busting their way through packs (see Waterman, Darling) then you could suggest their effectiveness would be dampened once everyone was on the same level in terms of bulk.

But in that match he wasn't necessarily using his bulk to win the ball or get clearances, he obviously has a high level of swervability and breakaway speed, which (given his size already) won't necessarily be dampened that much at AFL level.

Sure, he won't be able to fend off senior players with the ease in which he did in this match, but you don't necessarily have to be massive to weave your way between opposition players.

I also like the fact he seems extremely alert when he has the ball and doesn't seem to be one of those run and carry players who looks to blaze away at every opportuinity

Really? He seemed to use his size and strength to break tackles with easy and get out of traffic.

Really? He seemed to use his size and strength to break tackles with easy and get out of traffic.
I saw that as more about his explosive speed and confidence in his ability to not be caught than from sheer size. Obviously him being bigger than the opposition helped but I think his reliance on that is being overstated.

He also looks to have a decent side step that enables him to get out of the pack and get free. A few players with that skill were Ian Stewart, Maurice Rioli, Greg Williams, .... and these were not big guys. Moving sideways or swervability is highly desired yet not that common and it is this attribute that made me look twice. He is not perfect but pick 11 doesn't usually reek perfection with a 17 or 18 year old. Assuming Pickett and Weller gone, Duggan and Cockatoo look to be great choices. Give you different things but reason for optimism and hope.

Oh and Suns going a mid is not a forgone conclusion. If the right tall slips, then they may just take him. Weller went to Qld with his family but his interview talks about wouldn't it be great if he and his brother could both be at the Saints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back