News Tony Armstrong delisted (well sort of...he will be rookied)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, we don't want people who can kick the ball on our senior list.

Hmmmmm.... just change tangents then...

I wasn't a fan of recruiting Armstrong and I thought both Ramsay and Yagmoor were better at VFL level in the half dozen or so games I saw in 2014, may just have been the games I saw, more regular VFL watchers may have different opinions. So I was surprised by Armstrong's efforts at senior level. Equally, Ramsay was solid at senior level when he got his opportunity.

However if you're comparing a kid who'll turn 20 in a couple of weeks with a guy who is 25 and the reason you see that the 25 year old is more deserving of a senior place is the fact he had more senior games or you think his disposal is marginally better then you're going the long bow.

According to all the feedback from the supporters forum, Hine et al made it abundantly clear that players like Young, Lynch and Armstrong were recruited to allow the kids time to develop without the pressure of playing senior footy. Ramsay's retention on the senior list at the cost of Armstrong fits perfectly with that.

No they wanted to keep him but couldn't afford him. And when it is Buddy vs Armstrong its Buddy.

I think the hate for Armstrong, just like the love from some, is way over the top. However to say it was Armstrong or Buddy is not quite true.

The Swans could have delisted anyone else off the list but chose Armstrong. The Pies could have delisted anyone else off the list but chose Armstrong.

I am glad he is to be a rookie. I think his efforts and the fact he seems to be a nice bloke should be rewarded to some extent. As someone else said with our two knee injuries being a rookie is almost like being on the list this coming year.

Would be disappointing for Armstrong but he is still contracted and can be an automatic upgrade for Shazza whlst on the LTI. He can then be promoted full time to the list after round 11 if his form warrants it. Initially thought they would keep Frost on the rookie list for this same reason but it looks like the club is going to reward Frost (probably rightly so) with a main list spot (prob pick 85) instead. Will also give us 3 live picks (5,30,48) which is exciting.

Armstrong was probably chosen as the sacrificial lamb as other clubs would be likely to try and poach a Ramsay/Gault or Marsh if we attempted to do this with them. The club obviously think that with Armstrong already at his 3rd club that a 4th suitor is unlikely. If they did then good luck to them and Tony.

I think the hate for Armstrong, just like the love from some, is way over the top. However to say it was Armstrong or Buddy is not quite true.

The Swans could have delisted anyone else off the list but chose Armstrong. The Pies could have delisted anyone else off the list but chose Armstrong.

I am glad he is to be a rookie. I think his efforts and the fact he seems to be a nice bloke should be rewarded to some extent. As someone else said with our two knee injuries being a rookie is almost like being on the list this coming year.

No, we decided to chase Armstrong

Would be disappointing for Armstrong but he is still contracted and can be an automatic upgrade for Shazza whlst on the LTI. He can then be promoted full time to the list after round 11 if his form warrants it. Initially thought they would keep Frost on the rookie list for this same reason but it looks like the club is going to reward Frost (probably rightly so) with a main list spot (prob pick 85) instead. Will also give us 3 live picks (5,30,48) which is exciting.

Armstrong was probably chosen as the sacrificial lamb as other clubs would be likely to try and poach a Ramsay/Gault or Marsh if we attempted to do this with them. The club obviously think that with Armstrong already at his 3rd club that a 4th suitor is unlikely. If they did then good luck to them and Tony.

Gault already a rookie isn't he?

Yep no such thing as loyalty either way in today's footy, she's a cutthroat business from beginning to end.

Armstrong wasn't the only one who wanted to leave. Have a look at Mumford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't something similar happen last year?

We promised to draft or redraft someone but when Langdon and Marsh were still there late we used the picks on them instead?

Considering we rated Langdon the 18th best player in last years draft and got him at pick 65, i'd be nervous if i were Armstrong, loved his efforts this year but if Hine spots Langdon mark II late, it's a no brainer.

He's still on the list, just moved laterally, like a 20 metre kick that retains possession but doesn't achieve much.

Still better than a 50 metre kick that goes to the opposition and they kick a goal

We promised to draft or redraft someone but when Langdon and Marsh were still there late we used the picks on them instead?

Considering we rated Langdon the 18th best player in last years draft and got him at pick 65, i'd be nervous if i were Armstrong, loved his efforts this year but if Hine spots Langdon mark II late, it's a no brainer.

We we re drafted Gault last year, are you talking about the NSW scholarships?

The knock on effect was that we had to delist Gault & then rookie him, which in turn pushed Jake Kelly out of our rookie draft strategy.

Armstrong and Ramsey are both rubbish and both should have been sacked.

If we sacked them no one would pick them up. So what if Armstrong is a good kick there are heaps of players in the lower leagues that can probably kick the footy better than some AFL players but there is more to being an AFL player than just having a good kick.

Armstrong is a soft as butter in contested situations and he is very skinny. There is a reason why he has been sacked by two AFL clubs and didn't get a game in a struggling side until round 18 or 19. The games he got were due to injuries or he wouldn't have got a single game all year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back