Problem. No club greats in current team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
If you look at our best 22 right now. I think an obvious problem kinda sticks out.

Our best 22 is obviously subjective but for arguments sake, here is a rough guide.

B - Bennell Easy Butler
HB - Waters Brown Hurn
C - Rosa Priddis Masten
HF - McGovern Kennedy Shuey
FF - LeCras Darling Cripps
R - Naitanui Gaff Selwood

INT - Lycett Ellis Wellingham Schofield

That is a rough guess right off the top of my head. You can make arguments for who should play where and if playing like Hutchings, Yeo, Sheppard, Sinclair, Hill, Sheed etc should be in the team.

But you look at those guys and making a case for any of them to break into this team by the end of their careers is pretty slim.

B - Wirrpanda Glass McIntosh
HB - McKenna Jakovich Worsfold
C - Matera Kemp Kerr
HF - Lewis White Heady
FF - Ph.Matera Sumich Evans
R - Cox Judd Cousins

INT - Gardiner Embley Banfield Mainwaring

The above would be my take as our all time team. Now you look at the first team and can you see any of them by the end of their careers making into the above all time team. I just cant see it.

Small cases could be made for Naitanui getting the back up ruckmen spot from Gardiner. Only three other players IMO have cases. LeCras could bump Evans for that second forward pocket spot. He's actually a solid chance. Kennedy could move into our CHF spot but that is more to do with how CHF has been a black hole at WC for it's entire existence rather Kennedy being that awesome. Then maybe Jacky boy could squeeze Brett Heady out for a forward flank spot.

Naitanui, LeCras, Kennedy and Darling. Im pushing it with those 4 too, none are absolute locks.

I remember back in mid 00's and you could see blokes like Cousins, Kerr, Judd, Cox, Wirrpanda, Embley, Banfield, Glass running around and you thought to yourself, these blokes are some of the best to have ever played for the club. Now... well nothing.

I agree, we need a couple of guys to become superstars pretty quick. Naita and Shuey pls.

I think you're underselling Yeo. He's one of the first picked in my best 22. #notvanilla

Good post.

This is the problem with our team. We only have 3 or 4 marquee players and it not enough to challenge.

If you look at our best 22 right now. I think an obvious problem kinda sticks out.

Our best 22 is obviously subjective but for arguments sake, here is a rough guide.

B - Bennell Easy Butler
HB - Waters Brown Hurn
C - Rosa Priddis Masten

That is a rough guess right off the top of my head. You can make arguments for who should play where and if playing like Hutchings, Yeo, Sheppard, Sinclair, Hill, Sheed etc should be in the team.

But you look at those guys and making a case for any of them to break into this team by the end of their careers is pretty slim.

C - Matera Kemp Kerr
HF - Lewis White Heady
R - Cox Judd Cousins

The above would be my take as our all time team. Now you look at the first team and can you see any of them by the end of their careers making into the above all time team. I just cant see it.

Small cases could be made for Naitanui getting the back up ruckmen spot from Gardiner. Only three other players IMO have cases. LeCras could bump Evans for that second forward pocket spot. He's actually a solid chance. Kennedy could move into our CHF spot but that is more to do with how CHF has been a black hole at WC for it's entire existence rather Kennedy being that awesome. Then maybe Jacky boy could squeeze Brett Heady out for a forward flank spot.

Naitanui, LeCras, Kennedy and Darling. Im pushing it with those 4 too, none are absolute locks.

I remember back in mid 00's and you could see blokes like Cousins, Kerr, Judd, Cox, Wirrpanda, Embley, Banfield, Glass running around and you thought to yourself, these blokes are some of the best to have ever played for the club. Now... well nothing.

Gardiner only played 129 games for WCE. NicNat should surpass that this year. He'll easily overtake Gardiner by the end of his career IMO. Evans was a big time performer but in terms of career output LeCras overtook him a long time ago. Josh Kennedy should also arguably be in before Mitchell White at CHF. Darling a chance for the bench.

Gardiner only played 129 games for WCE. NicNat should surpass that this year. He'll easily overtake Gardiner by the end of his career IMO. Evans was a big time performer but in terms of career output LeCras overtook him a long time ago. Josh Kennedy should also arguably be in before Mitchell White at CHF. Darling a chance for the bench.
Yeah and that's why I singled out those four. But they are the only guys with even half a shot at making it. That's the problem. Plus those four guys are making it into spots that arent hugely contested.

The back up ruck spot is there for the taking. If he was challenging Cox for first ruck I would sit up and take notice but he isnt. CHF has been a black hole for us so Kennedy is skating in. He isnt displacing say a Pavlich or Reiwoldt if say one of those guys had played for us. He is displacing Mitchell White.

The other two in Darling and LeCras are replacing the other two weaker players in our best all time 22 in Heady and Evans.

So the four blokes with considerations are just skating into the last 4 weak spots in the team.

We dont have guys making you question whether you drop Kerr or Kemp from your all time midfield. We dont have guys making you think, should we drop McKenna or Woosha off that half back flank etc etc...

We dont have any real top line players. Which is why I know a lot of people are excited for 2015 but we are a way off. We might squeeze into 6th-8th but we will be just making up the numbers.

Until we have 6-8 guys making us really question removing some top quality footballers from our all time best 22 then we wont get close to a premiership.

Kennedy and LeCras would be certainties, you underrate them massively.

Problem is we are comparing players who had average to good careers but performed in big time games (Heady, Evans etc) with players who had better careers but no big time performances. I think you could make an argument either way.

Great post, here's my take on it. I think a few players are being undersold, Nic Nat, EMac, Lecca & Kennedy could all lay claims to a spot in the best 22, Shuey, Darling & Yeo imo have the potential to become elite players next year, they are still really young! Andre have only just lost Cox and Glass so from 2014s team we had 2 ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great post, here's my take on it. I think a few players are being undersold, Nic Nat, EMac, Lecca & Kennedy could all lay claims to a spot in the best 22, Shuey, Darling & Yeo imo have the potential to become elite players next year, they are still really young! Andre have only just lost Cox and Glass so from 2014s team we had 2 ;)
I love Easy but who in that backline is he replacing. He is a KKP so is either replacing Glass, Jakovich or McIntosh. Yeah I dont like his chances either.

Shuey?? Who in midfield is he replacing.

These guys arent good enough. We have no absolute top line players.

Evans - Lecras
Gardiner - Naitanui
Banfield - Hurn - I love Banfield but Hurn is better than him in every way.
White - Kennedy
Emac will eventually be in that team - probably on the bench - hard to get into that starting back 6.

Over time I expect - Shuey Darling Yeo and especially McGovern to put their names forward for contention.

That being said we need more absolute top line mids - mids who will force some of the greats to the bench. What a day that will be when we finally have one or two of those.

Until then, our Elite talls will guide us towards a premiership.

Yep. Pretty much a lock for our forward half.

Evans was pretty much my favorite player from the 90's era but LeCras has him beat. Kennedy has White covered easily.

Naitanui should out do Gardiner easily in time, should injuries permit. Lycett a chance also on his attributes.

The next big weak link in our all time best side is Embley.

Defense is staked for talent but Mckenzie and Hurn are both champions. You could make case for Hurn in for Worsfold but Nostalgia prevents it.

B - Bennell Easy Butler
HB - Waters Brown Hurn
C - Rosa Priddis Masten

C - Matera Kemp Kerr
HF - Lewis White Heady
R - Cox Judd Cousins

You realise we were negative 4 in clearances without Teo but +14 with Yeo. i stopped reading when I saw you didn't have him in your team

In saying that, I get the jist of your post but it's pretty horrible

Wire panda hardky played until he was 20/21. People were calling for Glass to be delisted up until he was about 24. Cox couldn't couldn't make the team when he was Lycetts age.

We have a young team, give them a chance. Shuey, Naitanui, Yeo, Lycett, Lecras, Kennedy, McKenzie, Darling among others all have time on their side

I love Easy but who in that backline is he replacing. He is a KKP so is either replacing Glass, Jakovich or McIntosh. Yeah I dont like his chances either.

Shuey?? Who in midfield is he replacing.

These guys arent good enough. We have no absolute top line players.
I said Shuey has the potential, not that he should be in. It's easy looking back on Glass, Jako, and McIntoshs careers and say that they are greats, at the end of EMacs career he could replace Glass! Obviously it's not the case now but my point was that your looking at our team now and they are all still young, and there is a lot of potential in our team.

"Swift, who played 34 games for the Eagles over four seasons, has just completed his bachelor of commerce at the University of Western Australia."

Um, what? I thought he was going to study medicine?
maybe it was all too hard for him. a bit like playing AFL.

Good post OP.

I think what your analysis emphasised to me is that before we can consider challenging for a premiership, a handful of players in the team need to elevate their game to elite status. Discussions about who will or will not be in the best 22 of all time, is not the point. Rather, which players have the capacity to be elite. I think most posters are on money - Lecras, Kennedy, Darling, Shuey, Gaff, Yeo, Hurn, Mackenzie, McGovern, Naitanui. Arguably, some of those players are already elite?

When's the last time Kennedy has had a massive game and pulled us over the line against decent opposition? He makes his name kicking bags against crap teams, I'm afraid to say

I can think of two straight forward set shots for LeCras which would have put us in front in dying stages of matches against good teams and he fluffed them both.

And WTF happened to Darling? Kicked a bag and really stood up in the Semi against Carlton couple of years ago, now he's taken several steps back. What is happening to this team?

When's the last time Kennedy has had a massive game and pulled us over the line against decent opposition? He makes his name kicking bags against crap teams, I'm afraid to say
As much as this has been bandied about in the past couple of years, and whilst it might have some truth to it, you also have to realise that his output will be pretty strongly determined by how well the midfield is performing. He dominates against the crap teams, not necessarily because they have weaker KPDs, but because the midfield serves it up to him on a golden platter time and time again.

Let's not forget that a Naitanui-driven WC midfield against weaker opposition can pump the footy inside 50 super quickly. It's just that with the added pressure of the better sides, our mids just bomb it in high and long, which leaves Kennedy to contest pack marks against multiple opposition defenders. He's not a pack marker (which is why McGovern and Kennedy complement each other well). I've got no doubt that Kennedy in a side with a super efficient midfield would win a Coleman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back