A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

If the majority of her votes for the senate came from above the line, how come she seems to be able to keep her seat in the senate if she leaves the party? I thought that seat was for a PUP senator, rather than Jackie Lambie specifically...

No seat once filled (be it House or Senate) ever officially belongs to a party. The parties rank their candidates in order on their group, but once the votes are counted the seat belongs to the individual.

And really, when you think about it, that has to be how it works. Especially with Egomaniacs like Palmer heading their own parties. Being able to chop and change their senators at his whim would be seriously undemocratic.

No seat once filled (be it House or Senate) ever officially belongs to a party. The parties rank their candidates in order on their group, but once the votes are counted the seat belongs to the individual.

And really, when you think about it, that has to be how it works. Especially with Egomaniacs like Palmer heading their own parties. Being able to chop and change their senators at his whim would be seriously undemocratic.

At the same time, there aren't senate by-elections I thought. If there is a casual vacancy doesn't the party elect to fill it... ie. Bob Carr?

Lol. Qld LNP has backflipped on Flegg's expulsion. Gee, I wonder why.
After the voters rejected their alternative, the LNP have decided he isn't so bad after all. What a gutless, unethical bunch of crooks.

Our state election is next week, but we are going to do an early vote tomorrow. We are in what should be a very safe Lib seat.

Have always known you could do a postal vote, in fact have done so.....but I didn't know you could just rock up in the two weeks beforehand to do an early vote. So much better imo.

edit: :D awesome, when did I become a Brownlow Medallist??? ..... and Skoob is a Normy! well done skooby doo!:thumbsu::)

Last edited:

How long until Christine simply has to step aside?

Ludlam is clearly the voice (and great white hope) of the Green movement regardless of what the organisational chart says.

If he wasn't attached to the Greens he'd get a lot more respect.

How long until Christine simply has to step aside?

Ludlam is clearly the voice (and great white hope) of the Green movement regardless of what the organisational chart says.

He's a rare specimen. A genuine type and a fair thinker. Sadly rare indeed.
With more credible types of his ilk, the Greens can better fill the void left by the Democrats in "keeping the bastards honest".

So much truth in a children's show.

Speaking broadly, it just reminds me how irritating it is when people automatically equate the laws of the day with morality.

In fact, one of my biggest philosophical bugbears is with folks who say "why can't people just obey the laws of the land" as though that is in itself the perfect prescription for a moral and ethical life.

Mr PUP himself is down here claiming himself to be a Victorian:eek:.......AND he has been offered No 1 ticket holder for the Bulldogs by Jeff Kennett on behalf of the Pres of the Bulldogs, given a hat and jumper no less!........all because he was born in Footscray.

He's good for a laugh, but please!.....

I'll drive him to the airport myself and see him safely seated on the plane headed for Qld!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cigarette industry and big pharma supported IPA is having a huge say in the killing off of the ABC via its infiltration of the Liberal party and this stance is also pushed via the Murdoch Press who have only their self interest at heart. Murdoch, a major backer of the IPA, is not an Australian citizen and should not have a say on anything concerning the ABC. This vicious attack on the ABC is not a good outcome for anyone and only those who are suffering extreme confirmation bias could consider the political coverage by the ABC as unfair towards any particular side of the political spectrum. Many surveys have found that the ABC is astonishingly fair to all political parties. For those that do not know who the IPA is, for all the criticism that it has thrown at the ABC by it via the Murdoch press, the ABC is in fact one of the few in the media to give the IPA extensive air time on free view TV.

The IPA are like any other radical organisation IMO and are no different than Communist style parties in their extremist stance to change the great lifestyle that we have as a nation. It is vital that the propaganda and lies that the ABC is somehow some kind of Green agenda organisation be disputed and I implore all Liberal supporters to contact the party to complain. This is all about the Murdoch media and its inability to deal with digital content and iVeiw being free to the taxpayer and complete and utter proof of this is the recommendation by the Lewis Report that iVeiw be pay per veiw by the public and that there should also be "a ministerial statement of expectations" concerning the ABC. This "a ministerial statement of expectations" MUST be considered an absolute worry in concerns to the integrity of the ABC as an independent voice for all via its already strong charter. The implementation of "a ministerial statement of expectations" makes it just another mouthpiece for governments of any persuasion that are in power at the time to turn it into a latter day Pravda.

I knew this government would be a failure, but I don't think anyone could've predicted it all falling apart so soon. The infighting has started, everyone's had enough of Peta Credlin, Tony's already at the "mistakes were made, I can change!" stage and Joe has been sidelined.
I guess that's to be expected when you have the Howard B team running the country.
Absolutely glorious.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2014/s4140850.htm

Leigh Sales 26.7.163

def

Insipid Poodle 3.9.27
I'm disappointed that Texts from Christopher isn't a thing yet.

I knew this government would be a failure, but I don't think anyone could've predicted it all falling apart so soon. The infighting has started, everyone's had enough of Peta Credlin, Tony's already at the "mistakes were made, I can change!" stage and Joe has been sidelined.
I guess that's to be expected when you have the Howard B team running the country.

I'm disappointed that Texts from Christopher isn't a thing yet.

I can't appear to post the picture itself, but here's the link https://t.co/7TszMzKITL

CNN host suggested that our gun control laws may have contributed to the Sydney siege. Some Americans seriously have warped minds on guns. We haven't had one mass shooting since the 1996 gun laws came in and yet they've averaged one mass shooting a week for the past 2 years... it's such a thick headed and bizarre thing to suggest more guns in the community is exactly what is required to combat gun violence. What an embarrassingly idiotic thing to suggest by that host.

CNN host suggested that our gun control laws may have contributed to the Sydney siege. Some Americans seriously have warped minds on guns. We haven't had one mass shooting since the 1996 gun laws came in and yet they've averaged one mass shooting a week for the past 2 years... it's such a thick headed and bizarre thing to suggest more guns in the community is exactly what is required to combat gun violence. What an embarrassingly idiotic thing to suggest by that host.

Yeah we should probably make it easier for these psychos to obtain guns. :rolleyes:

CNN jumped the shark a long time ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back