Talk of cancelling the First Test

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't think it was necessary to cancel the Shield games myself, though I'm quite comfortable with the decision to do so.

I certainly don't think the Test should be cancelled. How far do you go with this? The Second Test? The Series? The World Cup? Every cricket game between now and Hughes' recovery?

The longer you leave it to get back to normal, the harder it becomes.

I didn't think it was necessary to cancel the Shield games myself, though I'm quite comfortable with the decision to do so.

I certainly don't think the Test should be cancelled. How far do you go with this? The Second Test? The Series? The World Cup? Every cricket game between now and Hughes' recovery?

The longer you leave it to get back to normal, the harder it becomes.

Agreed, if 1-2 players can't play for mental reasons then fair enough, but cancelling an international match is just silly

If it's played in the right spirit and dedicated to Hughes it could actually be really beneficial to his team-mates mental recovery

I'm not sure how cancelling every cricket game in the country really helps anything

I would lean towards playing the match and giving all players the option of whether they wish to play or not. Some might just not feel up for it, playing might well be the furthest thing from their minds. Other might feel that playing the game and 'doing it for Hughesy' is the best thing. I can totally respect either position.

I know it's only a game of cricket but life goes on, and as has been said if one match is cancelled where does it end from there ?
If players want to sit it out and reflect on the meaning of life - all power to them. This might be a forced decision IF there is a worst case scenario and players want to pay respects at the time.

FWIW I do think that cancelling the shield games for this week was the right call.

Would be a massive over reaction to cancel the test but I could understand some close friends of Hughes might not be up for it and have to be replaced.

A test with a depleted Australian team would still be better than no test at all.

If India were to defeat a depleted Australian team and go 1-0 ahead, this would potentially set up a great challenge for Australia to win the series and avoid becoming the first Aussie side to lose a home series to India.

These guys are going to have to get out there eventually, to be honest I see why some guys wouldn't be up for it. But as others said if say David Warner hits a hundred, it will be one of the great Australian sporting moments of recent times IMO.

Maybe the test could be dedicated to some charity which deals with rehab for acquired brain injury or something? Players donate a percentage of their match fee, and people collect at the game, in a similar way to the "pink test" we have for breast cancer each year?

Even if (as we all hope) Phil Hughes recovers completely, it could be used in a positive fashion to raise awareness and funds for the cause, which affects hundreds of Australian families each year.

Edit: His passing was announced as I posted.

Maybe the test could be dedicated to some charity which deals with rehab for acquired brain injury or something? Players donate a percentage of their match fee, and people collect at the game, in a similar way to the "pink test" we have for breast cancer each year?

Even if (as we all hope) Phil Hughes recovers completely, it could be used in a positive fashion to raise awareness and funds for the cause, which affects hundreds of Australian families each year.
He has passed away :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see how India do handle it if we try to cancel it, given the recent West Indies debacle.

Will be interesting to see how India do handle it if we try to cancel it, given the recent West Indies debacle.
If India can't understand why the first test gets canceled, then everyone should boycott Indian cricket.

I don't think they will but would be very OK with them doing so

If it goes ahead all the Australian players should wear shirts with Phil's Test number and initials on them. We wouldn't be able to see them unless the camera had a close-up on it but it would be a nice touch and a bit like Jackie Robinson Day in baseball. Maybe David Warner could out to bat with one of Phil's blades - at least for a few overs.

If it goes ahead all the Australian players should wear shirts with Phil's Test number and initials on them. We wouldn't be able to see them unless the camera had a close-up on it but it would be a nice touch and a bit like Jackie Robinson Day in baseball. Maybe David Warner could out to bat with one of Phil's blades - at least for a few overs.

This is a lovely tribute but I can just see Warner taking guard in tears and being hit by the first ball that comes his way which is the last thing anyone wants.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back