Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This will sound weird but it just continues to boggle my mind and I just can't get my head around this one thing.....how many hundreds of thousands of deliveries have been bowled all over the world in test and first class cricket, even encompassing the pre helmet era, and we have never seen anything like this to the best of my knowledge....how damned unlucky the bloke must of been?

Just feels beyond freakish.

Was there when he was the first Aussie batsmen to make an ODI century on debut in January last year, was a very special moment and will be my number 1 memory of him. At least he died peacefully, pain free and died doing what he loved, which you couldn't say about most people throughout history. Still, way too young and his best was certainly ahead of him.

RIP.

Watched him at the G vs the Vics last year, he made an unreal ton. The potential was endless, on and off the field. Still can't believe it, I presumed he was gonna be back playing cricket in no time. Just a really weird feeling.

Leigh's chat with Jim Maxwell on 7.30 was good too

Yes, that was a nice tribute. Up until tonight I have given the TV a wide berth, couldn't bear to see the distraught players these past few days.

To give credit where it's due SEN's coverage has been good too, from Tuesday right up until the sad news today. They had a lovely interview with Gideon Haigh this afternoon who really put into words how most of us are feeling. In fact that's how I found out, I jumped in the car and turned the radio on and they were halfway through the interview and Gideon was talking generally about Hughes' cricket. I hoped it was just a pre-arranged interview but then something was said and I knew he was gone... can't put into words how sad I felt :(

This will sound weird but it just continues to boggle my mind and I just can't get my head around this one thing.....how many hundreds of thousands of deliveries have been bowled all over the world in test and first class cricket, even encompassing the pre helmet era, and we have never seen anything like this to the best of my knowledge....how damned unlucky the bloke must of been?

Agreed - it feels like it is basically like being struck by lightning twice on the same day.

An absolute tragedy :(

RIP Phillip

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To hear that there have only been 100 recorded deaths by this type of injury and only this one from a cricket ball.... it has to be one in a billion, maybe trillion if you think about how many balls have been bowled since the game "cricket" began.

Masuri has basically come out and said that if Hughes was wearing the latest Masuri helmet design, he may have been protected...

Not too sure I like that...

It wouldn't.

Neither helmet design covers where he got hit

B3cbVwKCcAA7REn.jpg:large

Saw this on twitter

Still can't believe it.

I always thought he'd definitely have the time to come back and make his mark at international level.

The fact that he won't ever have the chance again, **** he'll never play Sheffield Shield again is just so hard to digest
I haven't been hit so hard by a non-family death since Steve Irwin died, and he died doing what he loved too.

None do.

What was that ridiculous helmet Michael Carberry played in last summer?

I would be ditching that in a hurry.
Why? It lessens the impact of when the ball hits the helmet itself. Other than that it's exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back