Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People's lives are ended by dumb luck all over the world every day. The difference here is, because we tend to place our sportspeople on such pedestals, you start to think of them, without even really realising it, as invincible.

And, there's another important difference; cricket is not a violent sport. When a boxer dies, or a bullfighter, or even a skeleton competitor because that's so ridiculously risky, it's far less surprising because the sports by their very nature are dangerous.

I think we take it for granted that yes, cricket can be a risky sport, but not a deadly one. And, on 999999 occasions out of a million, it's not deadly. Challenging, but not deadly.

Something like this happening just shatters that innocence.
i reckon the odds are even greater than that

probably more likely winning lotto than passing away on the cricket field

i reckon the odds are even greater than that

probably more likely winning lotto than passing away on the cricket field
Every single day, a great proportion of the population drive cars. In some cases, incredibly poorly and dangerously.

Driving a car is exponentially more dangerous. The risk of getting into a car crash is probably so much higher statistically than the chance of being killed on a cricket field that it doesn't even need further expansion.

It's just...inexplicable.

RIP

Its inconceiveable that Phil Hughes has died. What an absolute tradegy.

My heart goes out to his family, to his team mates and everyone on the field at the time.
I really hope Abbot is well looked after, how awful to contemplate that you had a hand in someone's death.

A black day for cricket and sport.

People's lives are ended by dumb luck all over the world every day. The difference here is, because we tend to place our sportspeople on such pedestals, you start to think of them, without even really realising it, as invincible.

And, there's another important difference; cricket is not a violent sport. When a boxer dies, or a bullfighter, or even a skeleton competitor because that's so ridiculously risky, it's far less surprising because the sports by their very nature are dangerous.

I think we take it for granted that yes, cricket can be a risky sport, but not a deadly one. And, on 999999 occasions out of a million, it's not deadly. Challenging, but not deadly.

Something like this happening just shatters that innocence.
Pretty some kid at my cousin's school in the 80s died in a freak accident when the bat flew out someone's hands and hit him in the head.. He wasn't even playing I don't think just happened to walking near the nets.

Pretty some kid at my cousin's school in the 80s died in a freak accident when the bat flew out someone's hands and hit him in the head.. He wasn't even playing I don't think just happened to walking near the nets.
John Anderson's sister died when he struck a cricket ball and it hit her in the neck while playing in the family backyard.

People don't realise that it is still a dangerous game, but unlike other sports, it becomes far less dangerous the more professional it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep that in perpetuity I say.
I imagine the first time this summer that a batsman reaches 63 in a Test Match there'll be an applause.

I hope at least.

Wow. I cannot fathom this ever happening on the field.

Even after the incident I remember thinking "He'll be fine, just a nasty blow". Then read about the surgery and was wondering if he would play this Summer, then ever playing again and now he is gone for good all to soon. RIP Phil.

Also Sean Abbott must be distraught right now and hope he continues in his career.

John Anderson's sister died when he struck a cricket ball and it hit her in the neck while playing in the family backyard.

People don't realise that it is still a dangerous game, but unlike other sports, it becomes far less dangerous the more professional it is.

Jesus...

I imagine the first time this summer that a batsman reaches 63 in a Test Match there'll be an applause.

I hope at least.
i'd love to see that

when dale earnhardt died at the daytona 500 in 2001, throughout that nascar season, every lap 3 of every event became a tribute to dale (as he was the #3 car). it's a classy way of remembering IMO

If i recall correctly we lost a grade cricketer who was hit in the chest/heart a few years ago, unfortunate freak accidents in cricket will happen once in a blue moon.

*I've seen someone rushed to hospital after copping a tennis ball in the temple, it can just be where you are hit sometimes no matter the hardness of the projectile

B3fOPYyCAAAynIt.jpg:large

I find it amazing that more Test cricketers didn't die from hit from the days before helmets.

I think there was on bloke in the 90s died after a hit fielding at short leg with no helmet?
Yes, I mentioned him much earlier in the thread.

Raman Lamba- an Indian cricketer who played 30 odd ODIs and one test in the 1980s. He was hit on the head while fielding at short leg in a game in Bangladesh in 1998 and died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back