Toast Pick #19: Welcome to Carlton Blaine Boekhorst

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he is a fine pick up for you guys, time will tell if it was to early or not. Ready made player in that 21-24 age bracket which you guys so desperately lack.

In regards to us picking Langford over Leverde. Langford was highly rated by Carlton more so then Leverde, so if we picked up Leverde at 17 there was a very strong chance you guys would've gone Langford at 19 over Boekhorst. So we swapped it around, got Langford, you guys picked Boekhorst (as you rated him higher then Leverde) and we very happily picked up Leverde at 20. In regards to why he slipped? Who knows? Might be the handy work of Dorodo though. Leverde was a Essendon Grammar boy, lives 5 minutes from the club, whole family grew up barracking for Essendon. Conveniently got a ''corked thigh'' that was bad enough to put him out of the testing ;)

Really, Essendon would cheat?

I think he is a fine pick up for you guys, time will tell if it was to early or not. Ready made player in that 21-24 age bracket which you guys so desperately lack.

In regards to us picking Langford over Leverde. Langford was highly rated by Carlton more so then Leverde, so if we picked up Leverde at 17 there was a very strong chance you guys would've gone Langford at 19 over Boekhorst. So we swapped it around, got Langford, you guys picked Boekhorst (as you rated him higher then Leverde) and we very happily picked up Leverde at 20. In regards to why he slipped? Who knows? Might be the handy work of Dorodo though. Leverde was a Essendon Grammar boy, lives 5 minutes from the club, whole family grew up barracking for Essendon. Conveniently got a ''corked thigh'' that was bad enough to put him out of the testing ;)
Do you really know that Langford was rated higher than Boekie? Because I have word that Carlton had committed to Blaine well before the draft.

A trip to Ciccones will sort him out. Also love Rainbow's prior haircut - shorter version of Gibbsy's. Bring out the hairband.

Just looking at Boekhorst's stats he is reported as 184 cm and 69 kg. Little Jeffy Garlett was 180 cm and 70 kg when he made his debut and he looked like he would be snapped in half.

Anyone expecting BB to make an immediate impact in the side may be in for a rude awakening .........

Despite people saying Carltons website has him at 75kg...

Just looking at him he is definitely bigger than Garlett, noticeably taller and more muscle imo. No chance he is the same weight as Garlett when he first came.

The bold is completely false. And I know that to be 100%.

3. The senior coach should have NO say at all in first and second round picks. Not even down to requesting a midfielder or KPP.

So you dont think its important that we draft players according to game plan? What does 'best available' mean? Who says what attributes add up to someone being best?

You sure are a peautensil.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would actually hazard a guess and say that Essendon rated Boekie higher than Leverde as well which is why they took Langford at 17 and left Leverde hanging at pick 19 with the intention of taking Boekie at 20.

If it was a case of attempted slight of hand to try and force us to give up a player we rated highly so that they could snaffle him, they failed miserably.

I was going to say this but Dodoro said they actually rated Laverde higher than Langford so that scenario would have seen them miss Laverde altogether. Usually you do what he said they did because you think Carlton rank Langford ahead of Boekhorst but Boekhorst ahead of Laverde and you want both Langford and Laverde. I just don't know that Langford was ever in the frame for us.

blainetweet.jpg

POTY

BEEG iGNITER

Didn't say anything like that of course, but assuming the best case scenario, as we all do at draft time, he may play 40+ games less than an equally rated youngster. He may also step in from round one next year (as Rogers has flagged...pressure much?) and give us a scintillating 200 games and a flag or two in which case we probably won't sweat the potential games missed.

Generally a bit defensive on here post draft. There is room for discussion and it's natural to question the drafting when the name called out is a bit of a surprise...the club is yet to earn the blind faith of supporters when it comes to draft day. Perhaps its the Matheson influence but we have a tendency to gamble on draft day. Yarran wasn't a safe pick, Rowe wasn't a safe pick, less said about 2010 the better, Bootsma was a ******* strange pick, Temay appears to have been picked more on athletic profile, Menzel had very clear question marks and even Cripps will be breaking the mould to be a truly effective 194cm mid. We appear to play with a larger margin for error than many clubs and bank on upside. Not necessarily a bad thing...Richmond mostly take a conservative route and now have a list stacked with vanilla mids.
All Draft picks are speculations ...end of debate

Might be the handy work of Dorodo though. Leverde was a Essendon Grammar boy, lives 5 minutes from the club, whole family grew up barracking for Essendon. Conveniently got a ''corked thigh'' that was bad enough to put him out of the testing ;)
It wouldn't surprise me from a club like Essendon who have taken cheating to a new level ...whatever it takes.

I was going to say this but Dodoro said they actually rated Laverde higher than Langford so that scenario would have seen them miss Laverde altogether. Usually you do what he said they did because you think Carlton rank Langford ahead of Boekhorst but Boekhorst ahead of Laverde and you want both Langford and Laverde. I just don't know that Langford was ever in the frame for us.
Talking to his grandfather, Blaine and the family were informed well before the draft that we would be taking him if he got to our first pick... sounds like Langford was never really in the slot for us and we didnt rate Laverde (however the **** you spell it).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back