Discussion on Pick #14 - Jake Lever

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not?

190 cm midfielders are becoming the norm these days. 182 cm midfielders and below have become lost to the system, unless they are brilliant.
He's the best KPD in this draft. Why don't we draft a 190cm mid then?

Absolutely, and I believe Hartigan is well worth nurturing. He is beastly strong, quick (contrary to rubbish put forward on this board) and can kick long and accurately (again contrary to how some judge him). His decision-making was mostly good apart from some glaring howlers, but hey, the guy's played 10 games.
Agree.

I don't want Lever worrying too much about the tall forwards - Talia and Hartigan can do that.

I'd like Lever to feel comfortable on leaving his man to intercept, provide help to a 1-1 and, most importantly, to create from defence

I reckon the Crows nailed it with this pick. The only reason he slid to 14 was because of his knee injury and although I understand that having such an injury at such a young age will mean there is a question mark about his ability to remain healthy, if he does remain healthy and reaches his potential, the Crows may have a better key defender than Talia on their hands.

Well said. We've landed a beauty in this lad. 200 game player IMO and clearly the best key defender available.

As for the knee reconstruction at age 17, it's worth remembering that Ben Rutten had a knee reconstruction at age 17 and went on to be an outstanding defender for us for a decade and over 200 games.

IMO a case of history repeating. Well done to Ogilvie and his team. :thumbsu:

All of these athletic KPPs who are touted as potentially being tall midfielders when they're drafted... Have any of them actually become midfielders?

No. Most you can say is that the very best of them can and have pinch hit as required, notably Pavlich, Brown and Franklin.

So you realise your joke was both unfunny AND factually incorrect?

You obviously didn't get the joke or subliminal pop-culture references if you are responding. You are too old, you have lost touch with the youth. #sackDredd

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it was not sure why people still having a go at him?
on lever seems genuinely happy like talia and danger were when we picked them up.
We're accumulating GOOD talent ......the pieces for a flag tilt are not missing much

Really excited about the list management:
Lowden >>> Graham
Lever >>>>> L.Thomson
Cheney <<<< B.Rutten
Dear ===== McKernan (ATS)
Wigg <<<<<< Porplyzia
McGovern >>> L.Johnston
C.Cameron >>> J.Petrenko

Lets hope for a good Rookie draft

Could not be happier with Lever .......will be as good a player as Talia / Crouch

We're accumulating GOOD talent ......the pieces for a flag tilt are not missing much

Lowden >>> Graham
Lever >>>>> L.Thomson
Cheney <<<< B.Rutten
Wigg <<<<<< Porplyzia
McGovern >>> L.Johnston
C.Cameron >>> J.Petrenko

Could not be happier with Lever .......will be as good a player as Talia / Crouch
Good post... Though it's more
Cheney > l Thompson
lever < rutten (for now)

Wigg as useful as porps last year as he was shot.

I vaguely remember Vlad sfellowing to himself over the mike after Rendell snorted that draft pick out

Yeah, it was classic :D The Gold Coast recruiter had about ten picks to that point, and meticulously called out, "player number X... X... X... X... X... X... Full name... From current club...... and junior club..."

And then Rendell blurts it out in one mouthful without a break before Andy D even finishes speaking :D

I think it should be a good internal competition. Hartigan's mature aged, strong bodied, has a ton of experience at state level as well as some in the AFL. He probably can become a decent AFL player and realistically he's the only viable second KPD option we have in 2015.

It's all on Lever to displace him. His potential looks insane. You couldn't watch his highlights without becoming really excited. But he'll need time to come back from his injury and get to the fitness, bulk and form standard required for AFL.

Actually watching Lever's mobility it really isn't inconceivable that all three could play in defense. Hartigan is a beast but his decision making /disposal lets him down where as Lever does look like Bock.
If Jake is eased into defense this year and is not used immediately on the key forwards he really could become an attacking weapon out of defense. He has it all, size, pace and lovely disposal playing Hartigan as well frees up Jake as the rebounding defender. Also allows B Smith to be tried further up the ground if he plays well.

This is potentially a great pick and gives our back line flexibility and multiple looks...ease him in but give this kid games by seasons end.

Lowden >>> Graham
Lever >>>>> L.Thomson
Cheney <<<< B.Rutten
Wigg <<<<<< Porplyzia
McGovern >>> L.Johnston
C.Cameron >>> J.Petrenko

Should be

Dear > McKernan purely due to Dear hasn't been called dopey by a commentator :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back