Delisted Hugh Goddard

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching a bit of Goddard, he's capable of some absolute shanks, particularly on the short kicks.

Seems almost laconic in his kicking style, but maybe it's a case of not kicking through the pill.

As for Daniher, no dramas, it's not that I think he's no good - far from it - but I think a lot of people are going off half-cocked about the kid; let's see a little development first.

I'm basing my opinion of Daniher on what I've seen of him so far at his age and projecting his developing from that. I just see more to his game than Boyd, for example, who is a lot more robotic in his movement and more suited to a forward/ruck role like Brad Ottens. Again, nothing wrong with that.

Paddy gets the Roughead comparison a bit, but I actually see a bit of Roughead in Hugh. I hear from the Hawthorn board that Roughead is now a decent bit taller than the 193cm he is listed at (I doubt he'd be as good in the ruck as he is if he's still just 193cm), so he is probably closer to Hugh's height than Paddy's and like Hugh, Rough can swing down back, or forward, and due to having a good leap, can play in the ruck, which I would think Hugh could do if absolutely necessary, with his pretty good leap.

I must admit I would have been far more excited about getting him than McKenzie but that's essentially based off the hype surrounding him. His highlights package is also nice, as is McKenzies. But Laverde (as does McKenzie) fits into that category of low-production mids/flankers that seem to dominate the top end of this years draft. De Goey, Ahern, Weller, Pickett, Garlett, Laverde and McKenzie just haven't shown a propensity to consistently get 20+ touches a game. Another reason to grab a couple of quality KPP's in this draft.
Agree, getting Goddard to go with McCartin is huge.

No knock on McKenzie, as I hadn't seen anything of him whatsoever prior to the draft, unless he played in the other Vic Metro champs game that was televised earlier in the year (which I watched a while back, but then deleted- if he played that day I don't remember him), but I had seen Laverde play in two of those games and really really liked what I saw of him. To me he looks the "prototypical modern AFL footballer", being 190cm-ish, strong, fast, good overhead, attacking and so-on, so I really have been scratching my head a bit as to how he slid so far. In those games he was just getting the ball all over the ground and doing real damage with those disposals. He probably won't need to get a lot of it to really hurt a team.

I wouldn't have thought there was much at all between him and say De Goey, who went at 5 and on just those two games and seeing their playing styles and so-on I would have taken him ahead of Ahern, Duggan (who is very skinny), Langford (ditto), Marchbank (in between size), Ellis and probably Garlett, not to mention Durdin (although I loved the look of him forward in one of those games, when he was taking Roo-esk marks). Apparently Dodoro has said since the draft that they rated Laverde at 8 on their board and Langford at 12 (they obviously knew that Carlton were more keen on Boekhorst than Laverde if that is correct, as they took Langford ahead of Laverde).

Well I tend to have opinions on certain players that I have seem over and over for school and tac, I don't think you go to tac which is fine (and I think u had lamb going to us in your mock) but if you do you get to see the players a lot more and see how they play. I for one normally make my opinion up quick and won't change it so meh, we also btw had Capiron train with us who didn't even get picked up even though he was a top 30 prospect by km at the time. Also I think the club doesn't not give a sh// about who his grandfather was, if it was his dad and he played 100 games that may be different

I don't go to that many TAC cup matches, went to like half a dozen this year or something, whenever I got the chance. Yeah I had us taking Lamb in the mock, I didn't have Goddard available though, I'd take him ahead of Lamb every day of the week. The club seemed to like him is what I'm saying (we might not have, just an observation, could've been false interest to try and entice Carlton and the Dons to punt on him earlier to get us a slider), for multiple reasons that I mentioned, just that the family history being there is a bonus, that's all I meant by that haha.

On Capiron, Knightmare doesn't even him top 60 in his rankings (I have him at 49 btw), unless you're referring to his early year rankings, which I struggle to see the relvance of us not taking him NOW, rankings will have changed within the club. Still think we're a fair dinkum chance of taking Capiron in the rookie draft, I wouldn't have taken him ahead of any of the 4 guys we drafted either in the ND.

Paddy gets the Roughead comparison a bit, but I actually see a bit of Roughead in Hugh. I hear from the Hawthorn board that Roughead is now a decent bit taller than the 193cm he is listed at (I doubt he'd be as good in the ruck as he is if he's still just 193cm), so he is probably closer to Hugh's height than Paddy's and like Hugh, Rough can swing down back, or forward, and due to having a good leap, can play in the ruck, which I would think Hugh could do if absolutely necessary, with his pretty good leap.

Agree, getting Goddard to go with McCartin is huge.

No knock on McKenzie, as I hadn't seen anything of him whatsoever prior to the draft, unless he played in the other Vic Metro champs game that was televised earlier in the year (which I watched a while back, but then deleted- if he played that day I don't remember him), but I had seen Laverde play in two of those games and really really liked what I saw of him. To me he looks the "prototypical modern AFL footballer", being 190cm-ish, strong, fast, good overhead, attacking and so-on, so I really have been scratching my head a bit as to how he slid so far. In those games he was just getting the ball all over the ground and doing real damage with those disposals. He probably won't need to get a lot of it to really hurt a team.

I wouldn't have thought there was much at all between him and say De Goey, who went at 5 and on just those two games and seeing their playing styles and so-on I would have taken him ahead of Ahern, Duggan (who is very skinny), Langford (ditto), Marchbank (in between size), Ellis and probably Garlett, not to mention Durdin (although I loved the look of him forward in one of those games, when he was taking Roo-esk marks). Apparently Dodoro has said since the draft that they rated Laverde at 8 on their board and Langford at 12 (they obviously knew that Carlton were more keen on Boekhorst than Laverde if that is correct, as they took Langford ahead of Laverde).

Yep, I never agreed with the Roughead comparison for McCartin, more Taylor Walker/Jonathon Brown for me.

# 13- Hugh Goddard
Club: Geelong Falcons
Position: Key Fwd / Defender
Bio: Hard to know where Hugh will slot in. His best is incredible and when in defence at times can literally be an impenetrable wall. At other times you wonder whether he is even out there and unfortunately that was his champs and has therefore got many thinking exactly where is his right spot. I would take him pretty high and back myself to get the best out of him consistently because his best is just very very good. Plenty of examples of bigger kids being up and down at his age so am not reading to much into it. Very agile and athletic in fact he moves like a big cat out there at times and he can play fwd or back. If he plays forward he will burn a few tall defenders in the latter stages of a game.

Just watched his highlights package for the first time (saw some of champs games last year and this year previously) and something that stood out to me is how for so many of those marks he leaps up vertically as high as he can as the ball gets to him and then he also looks to take the ball at the highest point.

Given that he is as tall as he is and has a good standing vertical leap, doing both of those things is likely to make it very difficult to outmark or spoil him.

Last edited:
aussierulesrules

How lucky were you blokes here. He was off to GWS at pick 6 as I understood it. Couldnt believe you got him. You blokes are Bandits!

Loved it mate, you should have heard me when I heard Carlton call out Boekhorst's name, when both Laverde and Goddard were still on the board and there was only one more pick before our next one! I was pumped (hadn't heard the late mail that he could go at 19, so it came as a huge shock). It was like last year when Geelong called out Lang (who I'd never heard of and figured we wouldn't have wanted) and then Freo called out Apeness, leaving us Dunstan and Acres. Oh the joy!

It's a good area that late teens/early 20's area, where you guys of course got Grundy and Kennedy the year before. Slidersville!

Hugh can really play I reckon and I think he'll iron out the inconsistencies pretty quickly at AFL level and be ready to play relatively soon (all things being equal). Probably be hard to maintain the rage for year after year at U18's level when you pretty much know you're going to play AFL footy from a long way out, like he did. Sounded in his post-draft interview that he was well and truly over all the waiting and very ready to get stuck in and it's awesome that he's with his mates in Paddy and Lonie.

You guys have a lot to look forward to as well with De Goey and Moore in particular. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see who gets the most opportunities in their first yr.
Paddy is obviously rated higher but there is a bit more development into becoming an AFL full fwd.
Goddard if played back gets the luxury of just following his man to get into the play and learn his craft. He's also tall enough to drop back and fill holes taking defensive marks in the same way McEvoy did for us.
Wouldnt surprise me to see Him make more of an impression in his first yr than Paddy.
Mind you if Paddy comes out and kicks 3 or 4 goals in one of his early games i'll probably pee my pants in excitement :p

Will be interesting to see who gets the most opportunities in their first yr.
Paddy is obviously rated higher but there is a bit more development into becoming an AFL full fwd.
Goddard if played back gets the luxury of just following his man to get into the play and learn his craft. He's also tall enough to drop back and fill holes taking defensive marks in the same way McEvoy did for us.
Wouldnt surprise me to see Him make more of an impression in his first yr than Paddy.
Mind you if Paddy comes out and kicks 3 or 4 goals in one of his early games i'll probably pee my pants in excitement :p

Of the 4 recruits I actually expect Lonie to probably get the most senior games next year. He has less competition for spots. McKenzie is going to find it hard to crack a gig as we have a lot of blokes that can play that HBF/wing role.

I agree with you regarding Goddard, I reckon he will play more than McCartin year 1, particularly if we intend on giving Bruce a crack forward. Will be a steep learning curve for him as there will be a lot of inside 50's for him to contend with.

So if I had to guess who plays the most I would go:
1. Lonie;
2. Goddard;
3. McCartin
4. McKenzie

Does Goddard have a relationship to the club? I checked out the introducing Goddard video (http://www.saints.com.au/video/2014-11-29/introducing-hugh-goddard) and he seemed pretty warm with Bains and Trout (1:25 in)

Would have met him beforehand through interviews + house visits. I vaguely recall an article where a high-profile draftee (or was it his parents?) complimented Elshaug for his comments and support even though he didn't end up getting drafted by the saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't rule out McCartin, I reckon he will play a fair bit of games. Look how hard he is working, that article just made me love Paddy even more. Hard work gets you to places.

Chrid Judd was made captain of West Coast and Gary Ablett Jnr was Geelong royalty. Tom Boyd left GWS after one year, of course he could leave.
Good point.
After i heard this
gal_stupid_clinton_bill.jpg

I dont believe anything , anybody says anymore.
Wines is a dead cert now:p

Goddard the swingman: http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-12-08/goddard-the-swingman

LIKE most tall players with sticky hands, Hugh Goddard began his junior football career as a forward.

He booted goals, took grabs, and enjoyed being the primary focal presence in the majority of the underage teams he played for in Geelong.

But given his athleticism, work rate, and an innate desire to compete, it’s no surprise that the left footer was trialled in defence last season.

Don't ask me why but since the draft I have taken a keen interest in your club. Love what your club is putting together with all the youngsters, the additions of McCartin and Goddard have set you up for a really good crack in 4-5 years. Think Dunstan is a gem and will be captain one day and love the energy that Templeton brings to the side. Quick question, where do you see Goddard playing? I are him as a CHB who can swing forward like Harry Taylor, but interested to hear what you guys think.

Don't ask me why but since the draft I have taken a keen interest in your club. Love what your club is putting together with all the youngsters, the additions of McCartin and Goddard have set you up for a really good crack in 4-5 years. Think Dunstan is a gem and will be captain one day and love the energy that Templeton brings to the side. Quick question, where do you see Goddard playing? I are him as a CHB who can swing forward like Harry Taylor, but interested to hear what you guys think.
Thanks mate. :)

Yep, we're seeing him as a bit of a Harry Taylor type.

Say, it says that you're Stephen Hill's "buddy" this year. Is that the same as the "Advocate" thing we're starting this year (see thread on the Saints board)? Is that what you guys call that program? We're trying to work out the best name for it.

We all love where the club is going as well. Richo bloods young kids (unlike Lyon ;)). I see him being a bit of a swingman as well. Playing defence most of the time but if we need something different to get us over the line, can go up forward and kick a few goals

I can't remember if I've said this before or not but I hope Goddard never has to swing forward because that means one of our forwards is no good. Reid swung forward because Lynch was a spud, Hunter went forward because....well Lynch was a spud. Carlisle swung forward because Hurley is better as a back men, Taylor plays there because apart from Hawkins they have nothing else. It's not ideal for our back men to swing forward and TBH I don't understand the love for those types.

Thanks mate. :)

Yep, we're seeing him as a bit of a Harry Taylor type.

Say, it says that you're Stephen Hill's "buddy" this year. Is that the same as the "Advocate" thing we're starting this year (see thread on the Saints board)? Is that what you guys call that program? We're trying to work out the best name for it.
Yeah mate, basically go onto our board and have a look at the buddy draft, just gotta defend your player basically haha all a bit of harmless fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back