Remove this Banner Ad

grundog49

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I was wondering who will make the the most impact out of all the draftees (including rookie draft) this year? In my opinion Mitch McGovern and Harrison Wigg could debut this season and make an impact.

only Lever might make a impact because we have no real idea how well Hartigan will go taking on the 2nd best opposition Key forward.

only Lever might make a impact because we have no real idea how well Hartigan will go taking on the 2nd best opposition Key forward.

The 3rd tall defender spot is also up for grabs, with Shaw injured yet again and Cheney to possibly play as a medium defender versus a 3rd tall, if not all the time some of the time.

Thus there's a reasonable chance that both Hartigan and Lever could play together.

I don't think Lever will be ready for the 2nd tall defensive role, however I think he could immediately step into a 3rd tall role quite successfully.

Other than that, I would say that McGovern is probably the best chance, especially if Lynch can't get over his injury worries. Although word seemed to be that McGovern had a reasonable amount of work to do regarding his fitness/preperation.

Lever to force his way in second half of season....3rd tall to start off with allowing Talia, Hartigan and him to be in the same team....looks very lean and light in the upper body at this early stage so better as a running hybrid defender to begin with ? McGovern is the smoky to play regular games especially if he can push up to a wing or even half back. Maybe wigg gets 1 or 2 games and Wilson a chance if he comes on fast.

I think Lever to play 2-3 games. And this will only be to give him a taste when there are holes in the Cheney/Hartigan/Talia combo due to tiredness/injury/knocks/rests. Even then we'll drop Jenkins or Lynch back into defence for periods.

No-one else - we have players for all of the other positions. I'm happy to be wrong, but they'd need to absolutely kill it in the SANFL for half a season before getting a look in. Geez, I'd love that, but don't see it happening.

The 3rd tall defender spot is also up for grabs, with Shaw injured yet again and Cheney to possibly play as a medium defender versus a 3rd tall, if not all the time some of the time.

Thus there's a reasonable chance that both Hartigan and Lever could play together.

I don't think Lever will be ready for the 2nd tall defensive role, however I think he could immediately step into a 3rd tall role quite successfully.

Other than that, I would say that McGovern is probably the best chance, especially if Lynch can't get over his injury worries. Although word seemed to be that McGovern had a reasonable amount of work to do regarding his fitness/preperation.
Agree with this. Have mentioned it previously that there is spot available as 3rd tall defender early in the season. Cheney will likely take Smith's role in def, but we will still need to replace Otten. Not sure if and how Hendo and VB may fit into our defensive unit, but there's definitely a spot up for grabs.

Without pumping Lever up too much, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him come in and have a Selwood like impact in his first year - hopefully he gets a premiership in his first year too :)

Would love Keenan Ramsey too get up, has been a battler all his life so no doubt has the work ethic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

im predicting lever to start round 1 and sustain a spot through the season. Walsh has said wig will change our game, and Wilson has been declared the fastest player in the afl by his old coach so it will be interesting to see how he could fit in if he improves his kicking I don't see why we wouldn't select him

Really can't see Lever getting near it in 2015, and I don't understand the expectation.

He's coming off an ACL with 1 year of an U/18 fitness base. Really?

Possibly MCGovern as he at least was playing senior footy last year. That's about it.

2015 is the time for Lyons, Grigg, M Crouch, Atkins, Siggins. It's their time.

Really can't see Lever getting near it in 2015, and I don't understand the expectation.

He's coming off an ACL with 1 year of an U/18 fitness base. Really?

Possibly MCGovern as he at least was playing senior footy last year. That's about it.

2015 is the time for Lyons, Grigg, M Crouch, Atkins, Siggins. It's their time.

Even Knight as well could end up making his debut but yep, definitely this year is time those guys stepped up and became mainstays in the side.

The answer is clearly either McGovern or nobody.

Lever might get a game in Round 19ish if we're out of the finals race or hit by injuries. 2015 should be all about strength, training, conditioning and bulking up for him. Unleash him in rd 1 2016 I say.

Wigg won't get near it.

Dear: no.

I guess Wilson or O'Brien would be a stupid chance of being upgraded and having some sort of impact if multiple injuries strike simultaneously (2 of Jacobs, Jenkins, Lowden or both of Betts and Cameron). Seems unlikely.

McGovern really only has Lynch, Podsiadly and maybe Henderson blocking him from debuting. 2 of those guys are made of glass and the other is a pensioner.

He's coming off an ACL with 1 year of an U/18 fitness base. Really
I think Lever is a real chance of playing round 1. Otten's injured, shaw's injured, and Siggins hasn't shown anything. North plays 3 talls, assuming Cheney takes Ziebell/resting mid, Lever likely plays out of necessity.

Bullshit, he'll prosper with clear direction as to what he has to do.
No matter how much one on one tuition a three year old receives form Einstein, they aren't going to invent faster-than-light travel by the time they hit puberty. He's as stupid a player as I've ever seen. Walsh will probably be forced to spend his first three years at the club teaching him the primary colours and how not to tackle anyone wearing them.

Very good points.

Lever shouldn't be expected to take the second forward. Imagine him lining up on Tippett, Hale, Petrie/Waite, Westhoff/Ryder. let's be honest he'd be monstered.

I have no expectations on him other than after 5 years I will be happy we picked him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back