Draftees Impact in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Slight difference with Tex and Levers return is that Tex came back midseason, a Lever will have close to a full preseason behind him, plus 3 trial games + intraclubs to show his wares. By the time round 1 comes around, Lever will be close to 18 months post injury.

I'm not saying he'll necessarily play round one, but he'll have a far better lead in than Tex did.

But Tex had several preseasons already in him plus at the time had an AFL body, the kid will take time to develop one. It usually takes anywhere from 2-4 years.

Walsh on Lever:

He's coming off an ACL but we hope that he can fill in a key position down back this year. That might take a little bit of time before he settles into that, but he's one player we are hoping that in time he'll be a long term player for the Adelaide Crows.

Walsh on Lever: He's coming off an ACL but we hope that he can fill in a key position down back this year. That might take a little bit of time before he settles into that, but he's one player we are hoping that in time he'll be a long term player for the Adelaide Crows.

I noticed that too - he was clearly talking about something we have not seen at AFC for a while - he is going to play a young guy in a spot ... in the 1sts ... so he can gain some confidence that he is up to the challenge and grow into that position.

Mind Blown.

PS - other draftees from the last two years must be jumping out of their skins, knowing that if they have a crack this bloke will give them a shot.

You speak a lot of sense but I still stand by my beliefs that he will be in our best 22 by years end..
Hartigan and Cheney are not going to be good enough to keep him out.. Time will tell

Why can't they both play as well?

Whether it's 2015 or 2016 I see our preferred back 7-8 being:
- Talia, Hartigan, Lever as 3 talls
- Brown primary small defender
- Cheney & VB med sized defenders
- Jaensch/Hendo attacking def

To illustrate further let's compare them to our much love neighbours.
Carlisle - Talia
Trengove - Hartigan
Hombsch - Lever
Jonas - Cheney
Impey - Brown
Pittard - Jaensch/Hendo
Broadbent/O'Shea - VB/Hendo

Last edited:
Why can't they both play as well?

Whether it's 2015 or 2016 I see our preferred back 7-8 being:
- Talia, Hartigan, Lever as 3 talls
- Brown primary small defender
- Cheney & VB med sized defenders
- Jaensch/Hendo attacking def

To illustrate further let's compare them to our much love neighbours.
Carlisle - Talia
Trengove - Hartigan
Hombsch - Lever
Jonas - Cheney
Impey - Brown
Pittard - Jaensch/Hendo
Broadbent/O'Shea - VB/Hendo
Possible depending on the opposition.

But Tex had several preseasons already in him plus at the time had an AFL body, the kid will take time to develop one. It usually takes anywhere from 2-4 years.

Yes and I never disputed that. My argument relates to their return from a knee injury and the fact that the timing of their injuries changes their return. Had Walker done his knee in the off season like Lever, I doubt he would have played in the SANFL, coming back mid season is always tougher than getting the benefit of a full, or close to it, preseason.

For Lever, it will close to 18 months post injury by the time round 1 arrives, in fact he almost played last year in the TAC. He will also have the benefit of multiple intraclubs plus 3-4 preseason games to build form and prove his worth, Walker was not afforded this and hence had to do it in the sanfl.

Where his development is at in general is quite different, some kids can step up without an AFL ready body. Lever may not be ready, however the timing of his injury gives him every opportunity of proving himself prior to round 1 selection.

Possible depending on the opposition.
Definitely can fit them in if they are ready....can't beat natural defenders and it allows hendo further up the ground on wing or as the loose which he plays v.well. I hope lever is in but second half of season and we need Hartigan to play on resting ruckman / 2nd talls otherwise teams can expose us with tall forwards eg north with Petrie, Waite and ben brown

Bad analogy. How is playing him in the AFL with clear direction and Dan Talia to mentor him akin to 'throwing him in the deep end'? Not saying he should play every game in 2015, I'm just saying I'd rather play a promising youngster with a future over someone with no AFL future besides fringe player like Hartigan. Wait until he plays this year, and you'll agree with me.
Playing guys who are not yet up to AFL standard and having them get beaten every week can not be good for that players development. You only have to look at Melbournes midfield for proof of that. If he is ready and good enough, then certainly play him! My issue is I doubt he is good enough yet to not be beaten every week at AFL level. Hopefully he proves me wrong and can hold down a spot in our best 22 this year but I am not going to be disappointed if he can't.

Slight difference with Tex and Levers return is that Tex came back midseason, a Lever will have close to a full preseason behind him, plus 3 trial games + intraclubs to show his wares. By the time round 1 comes around, Lever will be close to 18 months post injury.

I'm not saying he'll necessarily play round one, but he'll have a far better lead in than Tex did.
I think that Lever was ready to play in the TAC cup final last year but decided against it just to be safe. My point isn't that his knee wont be ready but that it takes a very good player to walk straight into a side after not playing football for a year and as much as I wish he was, I don't think Lever is a 'very good' AFL player at this stage. I agree with you that coming straight into the side for round 1 is more achievable than a mid-season return. Having said that I doubt Lever is going to play round 1.

I noticed that too - he was clearly talking about something we have not seen at AFC for a while - he is going to play a young guy in a spot ... in the 1sts ... so he can gain some confidence that he is up to the challenge and grow into that position.

Mind Blown.

PS - other draftees from the last two years must be jumping out of their skins, knowing that if they have a crack this bloke will give them a shot.
That's not really what he said at all...

I want to see Kelly get a run this year maybe a possible dangerfield replacement? Think kelly will be a gun that smashes his opponent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to see Kelly get a run this year maybe a possible dangerfield replacement? Think kelly will be a gun that smashes his opponent

A bit optimistic.

It's hard to see Kelly as anything other than a medium defender admittedly but inside mid could work.

plenty of inside mids ahead of Kelly. As for danger replacement, there isn't one. Bull on the inside, greyhound on the outside.

plenty of inside mids ahead of Kelly. As for danger replacement, there isn't one. Bull on the inside, greyhound on the outside.
Matt Crouch/Jarryd Lyons on the inside & Smithers on the outside.

Would like to see us have a higher outside/inside ratio when using Danger this year... where he can settle before disposing of the ball. Use him in bursts in the middle, particularly when we need to arrest back control of the game. Hopefully means he will receive less knocks to the body & be more effective/damaging.

Kelly will be concentrating on becoming a defender 1st...

Between 6-10 games for them all put together in my opinion.

However all 4 plus Ramsay and Wilson are the Rookie list have the potential to be 50+ game players. Hopefully a lot more.
Lever - Elite awrenesss, mark and disposer of the footy.
Wigg - Elite Kick and game awareness
McGovern - Great kick and athleticism
Dear - Great aggression and contested player
Wilson - Elite speed and goal awareness
Ramsay - Great reader of play and disposal.

Are we already trying to convince ourselves that Dangerfield isn't that good or something?

Are we already trying to convince ourselves that Dangerfield isn't that good or something?

Danger and Tippett have a lot of similarities.
Lots of things to like and really get excited about. An awful lot of areas to improve on (to an impartial viewer) before he's in the upper echelon of players though.
Added to that, have a real smug bastard quality too them as well.

Danger and Tippett have a lot of similarities.
Lots of things to like and really get excited about. An awful lot of areas to improve on (to an impartial viewer) before he's in the upper echelon of players though.
Added to that, have a real smug bastard quality too them as well.
Danger has shown he is 1 of the elite players of the competition - right up there in the brownlow.

Tippett has shown he is good but not elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back