Draftees Impact in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's just going to be the sub, I'd rather he spent the first half of the season in the SANFL.
He hasn't played any competitive footy in about a year, his first game shouldn't be a 15 minute run around at the end of an AFL game, it should be a full game at the lower level. And he should force his way into the AFL team with good form when he's ready.

are the risks of getting hurt any less in the magoos?
i think he'll go close and likely be the subbed player if all is well.
Not the injury risk that concerns me, more so the lack of fitness, match fitness, confidence in the knee as he didn't play any football in 2014, I can't see any way how he could be a lock for round 1.

If he's just going to be the sub, I'd rather he spent the first half of the season in the SANFL.
He hasn't played any competitive footy in about a year, his first game shouldn't be a 15 minute run around at the end of an AFL game, it should be a full game at the lower level. And he should force his way into the AFL team with good form when he's ready.

i meant the subbed out player around 3 qtr time if all is well

Not the injury risk that concerns me, more so the lack of fitness, match fitness, confidence in the knee as he didn't play any football in 2014, I can't see any way how he could be a lock for round 1.

he's been compared (potential for impact) to hodge and selwood so i think there is a chance...
not a lock by any stretch in my book... but wishful thinking...
moreover i hope he is as good as they come.

Lever is the standout draftee... And will play 15 games plus if injury free....
He plays in a position that is our Achilles heel. He is a competitive beast who has elite foot skills.. Will be in our best 18 by round 5...

Lever won't play round 1. Hasn't played a game in 12 months. Also doubtful to play as sub...not versatile type. Might get a game later in year depending on his form and if Cheney and Harts are doing the job. Ramsey in same boat

Lever is the standout draftee... And will play 15 games plus if injury free....
He plays in a position that is our Achilles heel. He is a competitive beast who has elite foot skills.. Will be in our best 18 by round 5...

People have to realise it just doesn't work like this for key defenders. Lever will play somewhere between 0 and 5 games, it's as simple as that (my guess is 3). We'll roll with Hartigan, Talia, Cheney back there as the regulars, and against taller sides you'll probably see Shaw or Siggins make an appearance, with the possibility of Tom Lynch moving to defence if those guys aren't up to it. The more I think about it, the more I think Lynch to defence makes a lot of sense this year. Walshy won't want a bar of this Henderson in one-on-one contests garbage, and Lynch has solid VFL and SANFL experience playing down back.

Also, when was the last time an 18 year old draftee in any position played 15 games plus for us in his first year at the club? I'm thinking It would be early 90s - Ben Hart. It just doesn't happen unless you're an expansion club or you're bottoming out. We're neither.

I think we're all in unison with our love for Jake Lever, but 2015 is not his year. He hasn't played any footy for over 12 months and the kid needs a lot of months of training, running, bulking up and SANFL before AFL is even on the cards.

In 2016, he'll go very close to winning the rising star, injuries permitting. Let's keep it in perspective and realise that even if Lever was to sit out most of 2015 and then win the rising star the following year, he'd be tracking a full 12 months ahead of Talia, who won the award in his 3rd year at the club. Key position players take a bit of time, even when they only have Hartigan and Shaw blocking their path to the big time. The kid would get snapped in half in Round 1 2015. Patience.

People have to realise it just doesn't work like this for key defenders. Lever will play somewhere between 0 and 5 games, it's as simple as that (my guess is 3). We'll roll with Hartigan, Talia, Cheney back there as the regulars, and against taller sides you'll probably see Shaw or Siggins make an appearance, with the possibility of Tom Lynch moving to defence if those guys aren't up to it. The more I think about it, the more I think Lynch to defence makes a lot of sense this year. Walshy won't want a bar of this Henderson in one-on-one contests garbage, and Lynch has solid VFL and SANFL experience playing down back.

Also, when was the last time an 18 year old draftee in any position played 15 games plus for us in his first year at the club? I'm thinking It would be early 90s - Ben Hart. It just doesn't happen unless you're an expansion club or you're bottoming out. We're neither.

I think we're all in unison with our love for Jake Lever, but 2015 is not his year. He hasn't played any footy for over 12 months and the kid needs a lot of months of training, running, bulking up and SANFL before AFL is even on the cards.

In 2016, he'll go very close to winning the rising star, injuries permitting. Let's keep it in perspective and realise that even if Lever was to sit out most of 2015 and then win the rising star the following year, he'd be tracking a full 12 months ahead of Talia, who won the award in his 3rd year at the club. Key position players take a bit of time, even when they only have Hartigan and Shaw blocking their path to the big time. The kid would get snapped in half in Round 1 2015. Patience.
Maybe. I just don't have the words. I think this is a good job

You speak a lot of sense but I still stand by my beliefs that he will be in our best 22 by years end..
Hartigan and Cheney are not going to be good enough to keep him out.. Time will tell

If he avoids injury, there's no reason why Lever can't play at least half a dozen games in 2015. McGovern also a chance if Lynch goes down again.

The thing with key defenders is that they are often ready for AFL sooner than key forwards, probably because they only need to be able to neutralize the contest rather than win it outright. Talia and Davis both came in to the side during their second year on the list (after being injured all year in their first year on the list) and didn't look out of place.

If he avoids injury, there's no reason why Lever can't play at least half a dozen games in 2015. McGovern also a chance if Lynch goes down again.

The thing with key defenders is that they are often ready for AFL sooner than key forwards, probably because they only need to be able to neutralize the contest rather than win it outright. Talia and Davis both came in to the side during their second year on the list (after being injured all year in their first year on the list) and didn't look out of place.
Do you recall some of DT's early contests on Cloke?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair we had a very strong back line when Davis and Talia first joined.. Now we have arguably the worst back line depth in the competition ..for that reason alone Levers talent and elite ball use will see him claim a spot before the end of the year

i wouldn't be surprised to see Lever get a few shadow jobs as well... like follow Hodge around and take notes.

How can people honestly say Lever for round 1? You know, ACL and all...

are the risks of getting hurt any less in the magoos?
i think he'll go close and likely be the subbed player if all is well.

Even Walker, who is one of the better players in the game and now our captain, played his first couple of games back from a knee reco in the SANFL. I can't imagine an 18yo draftee bettering that. Add that to the fact that most key position players do not debut until their second or third seasons and I find it hard to see him playing at all this year let alone round 1.

hmm, fast track lever or play hartigan. I know what I'd be doing.....

...throw your kid in the deep end of the pool to drown or give then swimming lessons. I know what I would be doing.

I agree with the OP that McGovern and Wigg are most likely to play. I think McGovern would be the most likely to have any real impact this season though. I can see a forward line with Walker, Jenkins, Lynch and McGovern (provided all are playing well enough). I wasn't a fan of the 4 tall forward line we had last year but McGovern sounds more versatile than Podsiadly, who is a typical full forward/centre half forward type. McGovern could potentially even rotate with Lynch as that marking high half forward, allowing lynch to play closer to goal at times.

...throw your kid in the deep end of the pool to drown or give then swimming lessons. I know what I would be doing.

Bad analogy. How is playing him in the AFL with clear direction and Dan Talia to mentor him akin to 'throwing him in the deep end'? Not saying he should play every game in 2015, I'm just saying I'd rather play a promising youngster with a future over someone with no AFL future besides fringe player like Hartigan. Wait until he plays this year, and you'll agree with me.

. Also doubtful to play as sub...not versatile type.

Sorry, what?

You speak a lot of sense but I still stand by my beliefs that he will be in our best 22 by years end..
Hartigan and Cheney are not going to be good enough to keep him out.. Time will tell

Imo he shouldnt be the one forcing them out, he should be playing alongside them. Lever should be the one keeping players like Luke Thompson/Hendoerson and Cheney from keeping players like Reilly from our backline.

It should also be noted that key position players take time to come on compared to midfielders. It may take a couple of preseasons to see the benefits of recruiting Lever.
I agree, but can see Lever playing some games later in the year as the 3rd tall.

I can't see him doing a Benny Hart & playing from round 1, but reckon he will be the type to be in the side sooner than normal - but I doubt his body is AFL ready for a KPP.

I agree, but can see Lever playing some games later in the year as the 3rd tall.

I can't see him doing a Benny Hart & playing from round 1, but reckon he will be the type to be in the side sooner than normal - but I doubt his body is AFL ready for a KPP.

True, I do think and hope he gets his shot and maybe if there is a a "softish" game for him to play that he is selected. Mind you I also hope and think it will be done on merit as well.

Physically his body will not be at an AFL standard for at least 2-3 years especially given he plays as KPD he will be bashed about, even by a 3rd tall forward.

Even Walker, who is one of the better players in the game and now our captain, played his first couple of games back from a knee reco in the SANFL. I can't imagine an 18yo draftee bettering that. Add that to the fact that most key position players do not debut until their second or third seasons and I find it hard to see him playing at all this year let alone round 1.

Slight difference with Tex and Levers return is that Tex came back midseason, a Lever will have close to a full preseason behind him, plus 3 trial games + intraclubs to show his wares. By the time round 1 comes around, Lever will be close to 18 months post injury.

I'm not saying he'll necessarily play round one, but he'll have a far better lead in than Tex did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back