2015 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Pt. 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bombers brought it on themselves, they have jerked around ASADA & the AFL so much I'm hoping that ASADA throws the book at them.

And I don't believe they will.

Politics, funding and power will impact on them turing a blind eye to a soft penalty.

Look, I hope like heck you are correct and the book gets thrown at them but somehow I doubt it will happen.

Is that for real? I don't follow the rugby at all. Sends a great message to the kids coming through the system.

Yep, for real. I have constantly seen people on this forum claim how well Rugby League handled the drug issues that they had. It was the biggest sweep under the rug caper ever !! I dont follow the rugby either, but living in Qld, it gets a lot of mainstream media coverage.

ASADA can overrule a penalty it deems too lenient by the AFL

A lot of professional athletes in this country want the Don players to suffer for their sins. Rightly so, should I add. The athletes in this country need to be anal retentive about everything that goes into their body, why should the Don players get off.

Not to mention some said no without repercussions.

A lot of professional athletes in this country want the Don players to suffer for their sins. Rightly so, should I add. The athletes in this country need to be anal retentive about everything that goes into their body, why should the Don players get off.

Not to mention some said no without repercussions.

I have harped on about it, but how can Saad from St Kilda get a year for 1 banned ingredient in a protein powder & Essendon can systematically inject their players with who knows what & get a slap on the wrist? It doesn't make sense.

I have harped on about it, but how can Saad from St Kilda get a year for 1 banned ingredient in a protein powder & Essendon can systematically inject their players with who knows what & get a slap on the wrist? It doesn't make sense.

I actually felt sorry for Saad. The penalty given the circumstances I felt was excessive. If I am correct, the protein powder is available at any nutrition store, its not like he needed a prescription to get the banned substance into his system.

With that said, isnt NO-DOZ banned???

I think politics and funding will play a part in them turing a blind eye and just accepting it.
How?

If the Afl snub Asada, they lose way, way, way more funding from the government than what essendon is worth.

Politics & funding will ensure essendon get what they deserve!

I actually felt sorry for Saad. The penalty given the circumstances I felt was excessive. If I am correct, the protein powder is available at any nutrition store, its not like he needed a prescription to get the banned substance into his system.

With that said, isnt NO-DOZ banned???
Yeah I felt sorry for Saad too. I heard a story from a couple of weeks ago they set up some hidden cameras in the St Kilda club doctors rooms to prank him. Saad came in & kept a straight face & said he'd been using steroids that a mate gave him but he'd just been told by 1 of his team mates they were banned. Apparently the doctor went nuts at him & they couldn't let out any of the vision because the doc went so ape s**t at him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you feeling that all we will get for this debacle is a 6-10 week ban?

Kane McGoodwin what is your thoughts of the length? If at all mind you.....
If stated numerous times from the beginning that the players will get 1 year.

The more I read & hear, the more I'm convinced this will occur.

Asada & Wada will want at least 1 year penalties, particularly the way essendon have snubbed their noses at the whole process.

I hope golden boy & associates get completely banished as have had no issue tarnishing the Afl brand. Given what I have heard, his brownlow is more tarnished than Watson's. Bury the prick!

Is Jobe's Brownlow likely to be rescinded because he's a cheat?

Cotchin and Mitchell to Bradbury it in?

It should. I am sure alex_is_on_fire would have strong views on that???

How can Jobe be considered fair if he broke the rules? The Brownlow isnt just the best, its the fairest as well. The AFL wont do this, but athletes caught over the years have had to hand back their medals. Mind you though receiving a Brownlow in retrospect would carry lesser value. But I think the players would want it. At the end of their careers when they are old and retired it will mean a lot.

It's interesting reading some posts in this thread. Are you all actually reading all the posts? I doubt you are since on one page concepts are explained then the next there's a discussion about it again. Very odd reading.

1. Bombers case and Saads case are very different. Saad tested positive, admitted guilt early and didn't have millions of dollars behind him to repeatedly appeal decisions. He got 18 months.

2. Cronulla case is different as well. They pleaded guilty early as well, didn't have the team, coach, players, NRL appealing every decision, and they got 12 months. This was begrudgingly reduced to 6 considering they were "helpful". Players only missed 3 games as publicized.

3. While the tribunal setting the penalties is an "AFL tribunal" the tribunal is made up of non AFL people and is not influenced by the AFL at all. If the AFL tries to interfere with the process it is going against ASADA/WADA and it will lose federal support and funding. They must sit on their hands for this. They are doing what they can to keep the broadcasting rights alive by allowing all these bullshit list concessions (which I am 100% against).

4. Essendon/the players have not been even remotely helpful in assisting ASADA with their investigations. The accusations against them far exceed what Cronulla was accused of (who got 12 months). It is very unlikely the 34 will be given less than 12 months, and even if they are, it's likely WADA will want more than that and will appeal.

Where I sit is that since its a whole team case the likes of which have never been seen before, it's possible the penalty will sit at a year even after appeals and such. While I disagree with essendon having top up players, the AFL has shot itself in the foot by continuing with its uneven fixture, and not having a team to play against would give an unfair advantage to the team's scheduled to play them twice (even with top up players it's an unfair advantage to those teams). I hope the Bombers will be forced to delist all those players who are suspended, but as we know the AFL is a joke and won't make them do it. I also hope the Bombers are stripped of their draft position, having to move to the end of each round. IMO more likely to happen than delisting players.

My whole point here is people need to stop sensationalizing their posts. Get some facts and chill the * out.

It should. I am sure alex_is_on_fire would have strong views on that???

How can Jobe be considered fair if he broke the rules? The Brownlow isnt just the best, its the fairest as well. The AFL wont do this, but athletes caught over the years have had to hand back their medals. Mind you though receiving a Brownlow in retrospect would carry lesser value. But I think the players would want it. At the end of their careers when they are old and retired it will mean a lot.
WADA code pretty strong on any athlete charged handing back their winnings. Interesting to see if AFL do it though.

It's interesting reading some posts in this thread. Are you all actually reading all the posts? I doubt you are since on one page concepts are explained then the next there's a discussion about it again. Very odd reading.

1. Bombers case and Saads case are very different. Saad tested positive, admitted guilt early and didn't have millions of dollars behind him to repeatedly appeal decisions. He got 18 months.

2. Cronulla case is different as well. They pleaded guilty early as well, didn't have the team, coach, players, NRL appealing every decision, and they got 12 months. This was begrudgingly reduced to 6 considering they were "helpful". Players only missed 3 games as publicized.

3. While the tribunal setting the penalties is an "AFL tribunal" the tribunal is made up of non AFL people and is not influenced by the AFL at all. If the AFL tries to interfere with the process it is going against ASADA/WADA and it will lose federal support and funding. They must sit on their hands for this. They are doing what they can to keep the broadcasting rights alive by allowing all these bullshit list concessions (which I am 100% against).

4. Essendon/the players have not been even remotely helpful in assisting ASADA with their investigations. The accusations against them far exceed what Cronulla was accused of (who got 12 months). It is very unlikely the 34 will be given less than 12 months, and even if they are, it's likely WADA will want more than that and will appeal.

Where I sit is that since its a whole team case the likes of which have never been seen before, it's possible the penalty will sit at a year even after appeals and such. While I disagree with essendon having top up players, the AFL has shot itself in the foot by continuing with its uneven fixture, and not having a team to play against would give an unfair advantage to the team's scheduled to play them twice (even with top up players it's an unfair advantage to those teams). I hope the Bombers will be forced to delist all those players who are suspended, but as we know the AFL is a joke and won't make them do it. I also hope the Bombers are stripped of their draft position, having to move to the end of each round. IMO more likely to happen than delisting players.

My whole point here is people need to stop sensationalizing their posts. Get some facts and chill the **** out.
Agree with most of this, will just add a couple of things. Essendon did cooperate early. There were none of the antics that cronulla pulled (ie. Refusing to answer questions thanks to their legal counsel - advising them not to self incriminate - which forced asada to call off interviews for some months). Of course this lack of counsel to essendon players is why we saw the lawsuit to try to get the evidence disallowed because they had incriminated themselves (ie. They told the truth). It was only once they realised that asada wasn't going to play nice, that they started the stalling tactics.

I can't see players getting less than 12 months backdated to date of issuing INs.

I'm doubtful the afl will penalise essendon a second time (they will claim they have already punished them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back