2015 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Pt. 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with most of this, will just add a couple of things. Essendon did cooperate early. There were none of the antics that cronulla pulled (ie. Refusing to answer questions thanks to their legal counsel - advising them not to self incriminate - which forced asada to call off interviews for some months). Of course this lack of counsel to essendon players is why we saw the lawsuit to try to get the evidence disallowed because they had incriminated themselves (ie. They told the truth). It was only once they realised that asada wasn't going to play nice, that they started the stalling tactics.

I can't see players getting less than 12 months backdated to date of issuing INs.

I'm doubtful the afl will penalise essendon a second time (they will claim they have already punished them).
If the bombers finish last, how can getting the first pick be justified by the afl?

The club has already, as a whole, been punished.

Not sure how the AFL could take that away from them.
They've been punished for their lack of governance, as the AFL has been oh so eager to remind us of. They haven't been punished for their drug taking. That's what I'd want it put on. If enough clubs complain they'd not want to ignore too hard. What if collingwood finishes second last? Imagine how vocal Eddie would be so they get dibs on first pick.

So you are punished for cheating and as a reward for coming last, we'll chuck in the top pick too. o_O

They will have earned the pick though. They weren't banned from the draft.
You can't punish them twice. They are every chance at the #1 I'd think

Not sure I'd be too bothered about either.

How many of us would tank a whole season just to get that pick? Not many i reckon

How many of us would tank a whole season just to get that pick? Not many i reckon

Especially since they have finished inside the 8 over the past two years and were on the up.

They've been punished for their lack of governance, as the AFL has been oh so eager to remind us of. They haven't been punished for their drug taking. That's what I'd want it put on. If enough clubs complain they'd not want to ignore too hard. What if collingwood finishes second last? Imagine how vocal Eddie would be so they get dibs on first pick.

If they get done for drugs, it will be the asada sanctions that will count

I don't like the idea that the #1 pick is "earned". It's a compensation for teams that are struggling on the field.

If a team finishes bottom because most of their players have been suspended, then I think that's completely different.

They do have a top 8 squad at least. They don't deserve the opportunity to improve that squad through the draft as a result of these penalties.

Jack Darling from West Coast reported to be going in for surgery on his foot. Could be season ending (best case is week 4 return).

Massive blow for the Eagles. Now potentially lost two of their 5 best players from last years B&F missing for the whole year. Combine that with Beau Waters retirement this preseason and no Dean Cox - they are in a world of trouble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Darling from West Coast reported to be going in for surgery on his foot. Could be season ending (best case is week 4 return).

Massive blow for the Eagles. Now potentially lost two of their 5 best players from last years B&F missing for the whole year. Combine that with Beau Waters retirement this preseason and no Dean Cox - they are in a world of trouble.
Terrible luck for some players this season.

If you were doing a ladder predictor now you'd almost be saying who can't make the 8 as opposed to who can

And Darren Glass

Terrible luck for some players this season.

If you were doing a ladder predictor now you'd almost be saying who can't make the 8 as opposed to who can

Absolutely. They were every chance of making the finals in 2015 - but now I give them no hope. I have Melb, Saints, Bulldogs, GWS and now West Coast at almost no chance of finals football. Next group of Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood are 1 key injury away and fighting an uphill battle.

Absolutely. They were every chance of making the finals in 2015 - but now I give them no hope. I have Melb, Saints, Bulldogs, GWS and now West Coast at almost no chance of finals football. Next group of Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood are 1 key injury away and fighting an uphill battle.
Carlton and Collingwood are no chance already IMO. Brisbane is still a smoky, very much depends on how their glut of new guys fits in. They also still lack quality talls forward and back. Having 3 quality rucks fit and their huge midfield may carry them quite far.

They won't have EARNED the pick at all. They are s**t because they lost half their squad due to doping. You can't then say, oh well you can now have the top draft pick because you came stone motherless last. When they get all their players back then they are stronger AND have the best draft pick. Yeah, nah. I agree with Danoz. Don't take their draft pick away, just remove it to the bottom of each round. That way they still get someone, just not the best someone.

And Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and West Coast have all tanked to get the top pick.

Carlton and Collingwood are no chance already IMO. Brisbane is still a smoky, very much depends on how their glut of new guys fits in. They also still lack quality talls forward and back. Having 3 quality rucks fit and their huge midfield may carry them quite far.

I just don't know about Brisbane. They literally do not have any options up forward that are over 190cm. Just don't know how they will kick enough goals. Think their midfield will become very very good, but need some KPP before they win enough games to contest for a finals appearance.

And all i hear over here is how good the Eagles are... sucks they have good players injured..but gee whiz they are a hard supporter base to deal with. Especially in 05 and 06 over here :(

Who will kick Carlton's goals? Can't see them making the 8

And all i hear over here is how good the Eagles are... sucks they have good players injured..but gee whiz they are a hard supporter base to deal with. Especially in 05 and 06 over here :(

EVERY supporter base is hard to deal with!

I just don't know about Brisbane. They literally do not have any options up forward that are over 190cm. Just don't know how they will kick enough goals. Think their midfield will become very very good, but need some KPP before they win enough games to contest for a finals appearance.
Agree - helps us with Aish IMO. They will be desperate to land a KPF and may look to off load in a surplus area to shore up the currency they will need.

I think it will be a big year for Lachie Henderson. He has shown glimpses but is at least a KPF that can take a mark and kick a goal. His game against North Melbourne last year was fantastic - 17 disposals, 7 marks and 9 scoring shots (kicked 6.3). Was a dominating performance. Over the past 2 years he has been flirting with becoming a really good forward kicking 28 and 29 goals - I think 2015 is the year he becomes it and will kick between 40 and 50 goals.

Combine him with Levi Casboult who is a great contested mark. At 24 and 200cm, 103kg he is a very strong target inside 50. Definite issues with his kicking for goal, but at least provides a target.

They have a very good medium forward in Troy Menzel (as Pods and Sando found out last year - WTF).

It isn't a great forward line, but it shits all over Brisbanes non existant forwardline. I also think they have enough talent on that list - Judd, Murphy, Dale THomas, Gibbs, Walker that if it all goes right they can challenge for 8th spot.

Agree - helps us with Aish IMO. They will be desperate to land a KPF and may look to off load in a surplus area to shore up the currency they will need.

Hadn't thought that far ahead, but couldn't agree more with this. I think Brisbane has the worst forward line by a mile - it is something they will need to address urgently in the 2015 offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back