Unofficial Preview Round 1, Pies V Lions, Sat evening @6:20pm Qld / 7:20pm Vic (Thread closed, see Game Day thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
[mod edit]

Collingwood

B:
Alan Toovey, Nathan Brown, Ben Sinclair
HB: Marley Williams, Jack Frost, Adam Oxley
C: Travis Varcoe, Jack Crisp, Steele Sidebottom
HF: Dane Swan, Jesse White, Tyson Goldsack
F: Jamie Elliott, Travis Cloke, Alex Fasolo
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Scott Pendlebury
Int: Jackson Ramsay, Jarryd Blair, Tom Langdon, Jordan De Goey
Emg: Ben Kennedy, Patrick Karnezis, Corey Gault

[/mod edit]

Surprised a thread on this topic hasn't started up before now, so here goes (will close this thread down when mattys123 posts the game day thread).

Footy's back! We've had the intra-club, practice games, NAB Cup games. We have a relatively healthy list (at least in comparison to recent years). We've had a good look at our new kids and recruits from other clubs. We've had relatively few off-field distractions. We are also looking at you White, and PK, and BenKen, and Fas, and JT, and The Seed, to do what Maxy asked and *** standup! Some are looking at Bucks too.

The media aren't paying us much attention, which is not a bad thing, and most have us finishing middling to low on the ladder: 9, 10, 11, 12 or thereabouts.

But I'm still excited! Who will be selected this week? Who will stand Dayne Beams? After the game will we mods be busy deleting trolling posts from gloating Lions fans, or will they slink away after their crushing defeat?

Love being in Melbourne at this time of year. (Is there a cricket match on somewhere?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likely Inclusions from last time they met (Brisbane): DBeams, Robinson, Christensen, Leunberger, Rich, Redden

Likely inclusions from last time they met (Collingwood): Pendlebury, Elliott, Cloke, Langdon, Adams, Varcoe, Crisp, Brown, White. Possibly Reid

Likely Inclusions from last time they met (Brisbane): DBeams, Robinson, Christensen, Leunberger, Rich, Redden

Likely inclusions from last time they met (Collingwood): Pendlebury, Elliott, Cloke, Langdon, Adams, Varcoe, Crisp, Brown, White. Possibly Reid
*and Abbott :)

They both played last time the two teams met. Also Reid won't play and damn those Brisbane ins look good! Bar Robinson all 5 would just about be in our top 10 players :(

All I have to say at this early stage is thank christ the footy is finally back and we have something substantial to discuss instead of the constant naval gazing and existential angst that has been permeating the board over the last 3 weeks.

Looking forward to seeing the team back to almost full strength, with some interesting selection dilemmas however it's a shame about Greenwood's injury - was hoping to see what he will bring to the midfield from round 1 but we will just have to wait on that one unfortunately. Also, is Witts ready/likely for a round 1 callup and do we have enough to counter the so-called "best midfield in the competition"?

It can't possibly go worse then the last time we played them;

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2014/21/coll-v-bl

Pendles and Elliott pulled out pre game, then all hell broke loose as Beams, Cloke and Reid suffered season ending injuries.

It was the night from hell.

As for this game, I won't be happy with a loss but I won't be shattered if we put up a really goof fight and go down by a small margin. This isn't an easy game for us, the Lions play a brand that is hard for us to contain, they rely on pace and we have next to no pace.

To win this game we will have to win the hard ball and be accurate in front of goal, if we aren't efficient going forward both in terms of maximising forward 50 entries and accuracy at goal, we will lose.

That's what worries me, our forward line is still utterly dependant on Cloke and Elliott.

And what's more, Elliott will most likely play a fair few midfield minutes which leaves just Cloke.

We really need Fasolo to pull his finger out and of course White (sigh). I'd actually prefer Gault to play instead of White but I don't think that will happen.

I'd like Witts in too. I think we need 2 rucks against the Lions and I do think that Witts can pose them problems up forward.

The world is also resting on Adams shoulders with Greenwood out. I'd like to see Crisp play with his big body and I think he deserves his debut with us.

Having said all that, my gut tells me a loss is coming but we will perform much better than our last NAB game.

I think it's fair to say we will.probably lose the midfield battle. But IF Reid gets up we should really null all their key forwards they have serious problems up there especially without freeman. If Sinclair or Williams can shut down Greene I feel.goals will.be an issue for them.

I'd be playing cloke, white, gault (depending on witts fitness will decide which of witts and Grundy I play) and Karnezis even though I havnt been a fan of him with those 4 we can really stretch the defense. If we played fasolo and Elliot whichever one rich picks up (since he's been down back so far) he has to be accountable and drag him.to the square. That should get that end of the ground firmly in our favour.

I still don't think martin is any good and leuy just coming back, as long as witts or Grundy can stop them giving clean taps this game is easily winnable. If we let them do what minson did in our last NAB game we'll.be in for a long night.

The loss of Tony Armstrong will hurt.

Their ins are balanced a little by Hanley and Patful being outs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane will pump us. Their midfeild is quality and they will win it just about everytime. Beams will have 30 and kick 3. Brisbane by 50 points.
That sounds more like your hope than your prediction

I reckon Brisbane will be around us on the ladder, so with the game at the Gabba, it's advantage to them.
I don't expect us to win, and will only be disapointed if its a big loss.

All I want is that Beam's doesn't have a good game.

I want Beams to have a game like Daisy's first game against us.
The problem with that is I reckon Daisy still cares for Collingwood, still had feelings for the club, while Beams obviously doesn't after the way he left.

I think he may be nervous early but he will play well against us, because he's also in his prime, unlike Thomas who was on the decline after he left us.

It's a predictable prediction. Don't read anything in to it. Flow on from 2014 and NAB. But your head might be in the sand you think 2015 is a new year.
It's fairly straightforward read. You said nothing at all positive about Collingwood and praised the lions and Beams strongly. If occasionally you had some good news to put about our club it would give your dire predictions about Collingwood some balance and at least a belief that you are hoping for something positive to happen at Collingwood. At the current time it reads to me like you are more likely hoping Collingwood is put to the sword so you can claim to be right.

We will park our bus on the gabba. The boys will hop off, demoralize the Bears and hop back on. Whilst doing a great big burn out our bus driver, Bucks, will shoot a little wry smile at one of our former players who decided to get off the bus several months ago.

Who will win?

The pies will.

How much will we win by?

6 goals.

Why will we win?

We have a habit of beating teams that contain defectors in them... See carlscum as evidence mm and his flower boy have not beaten us since they crossed from Elysium into hades.

We also have much better then many seem to be able to see at them minute. Guys like pendles, swan, brown, cloke, Elliot, Steele, witts, fas etc are too much for briabanes much vaunted midfield.

Who will star?

Peddles, Swan, Adams, cloke, Elliot and broom head who'll demoralize the Bears. Young crisp and PK will show Brisbane that the should have never allowed these boys to leave.

Can't wait to smack the Bears back into insolvency. Hate this team. Brisbane bogan Bears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back