Review R3: Port v North Melbourne Review

Remove this Banner Ad

The swans game was definitely scary...BUT.

Between the useless efforts of Hartlett, Redden, and Ryder, and Jarman Impey going down early we can expect to improve a hell of a lot on that performance.

It may have been a thumping, but I reckon if you change those 4 things it would have at worst been a pretty close game.
No the swans were all over us. Look what they did to our star players - for all of the night.

I am amazed at the criticism Angus Monfries is getting. I noticed it last week when he copped some stick after the Sydney game. He had 26 disposals took 10 marks kicked a goal and worked his arse off running up and down the ground presenting a target.

Last night more of the same, sub him, drop him despite him finishing with 17 disposals and kicking 2.3 - which would have been 3 goals if Wingard hadn't handballed straight at his feet from 3m away. His composure and team first attitude was exemplified with his pass to Mitchell with the game on the line in a pressure situation where plenty would have fluffed the kick.

Plays for frees? The guy gets hammered into the ground more than any player in our team, 1. because he always puts his head over the ball and 2. he's an annoying pest. The umpires routinely overlook his treatment so I don't blame him for trying to bring it to their attention. Compared to some of the protected floppers and divers out there who throw their heads back at the merest hint of a breeze whistling past their ears Monfries is a gladiator.

He should be considered one of the first chosen not one of the first dropped.

Absolutely correct.

No the swans were all over us. Look what they did to our star players - for all of the night.

Yes, we were well and truly second rate. This is definitely a side we need an extra 'quality' tall and to get that ball moving with kicks, good direct kicks, and not this handball-run handball-run style when the Swans players are digging it back behind the ball in masses.

I am amazed at the criticism Angus Monfries is getting. I noticed it last week when he copped some stick after the Sydney game. He had 26 disposals took 10 marks kicked a goal and worked his arse off running up and down the ground presenting a target.

Last night more of the same, sub him, drop him despite him finishing with 17 disposals and kicking 2.3 - which would have been 3 goals if Wingard hadn't handballed straight at his feet from 3m away. His composure and team first attitude was exemplified with his pass to Mitchell with the game on the line in a pressure situation where plenty would have fluffed the kick.

Plays for frees? The guy gets hammered into the ground more than any player in our team, 1. because he always puts his head over the ball and 2. he's an annoying pest. The umpires routinely overlook his treatment so I don't blame him for trying to bring it to their attention. Compared to some of the protected floppers and divers out there who throw their heads back at the merest hint of a breeze whistling past their ears Monfries is a gladiator.

I wouldnt want him dropped at all...

But when flops ford he is out of the contest....its his only criticism

He makes things happen in our fwd line....

Ah Chee turned out to be fine, coming on in the last quarter, stepping into the heat of the moment as sub in his first ever game. Some posters thought that was a massive risk, but it worked.

It was a massive risk. He did well with the little opportunity he got. I was ok with his promotion but we'll see him pass through the trials and tribulations when he plays full games.

He helped to almost drag us to a Grand Final after having his 2014 scuppered by soft tissue injuries.

He's just spent the preseason cooling his jets pondering the (unlikely) event of the premature end of his career due to the ASADA business. Thus, with one "match simulation" he came on as sub against Freo to little effect.

He then had 26 disposals, 10 marks and 1 goal against Sydney.

He then had 17 disposals, 2 goals and 1 goal assist against North.

And he'd still be rusty/not at full match fitness.

Some tough markers about.

I love Monfries and wouldn't consider dropping him. He's a top player and in form he makes us much, much more dangerous. I think some people have forgotten how good he was for us in 2013.

I just believe be goes to ground too often after minimal contact looking for a free. Keep your feet Gus. You're too good for the guys that defend you unless you take yourself out of the contest.

Watching the replay Matty White was limping after every contest. Still nearly our best.

What a player.

I love Monfries and wouldn't consider dropping him. He's a top player and in form he makes us much, much more dangerous. I think some people have forgotten how good he was for us in 2013.

I just believe be goes to ground too often after minimal contact looking for a free. Keep your feet Gus. You're too good for the guys that defend you unless you take yourself out of the contest.

A perfect storm of being told by his early coaches at Essendon to literally pull his head in after his kamikaze attack at the football was going to get him killed - and spending a stack of games watching Matthew Lloyd profit handsomely from accentuating minimal contact and staging for frees.

Will find his balance again once he gets his separation back.

What was Westoff thinking with that rugby pass to Boak at the 15min mark of the 4th. How he didn't get pinged for that I am still wondering. Luckily we scored a goal from the play.

Overall I was fairly happy with this game. North came to play, thankfully so did we! We still have a number or key players to get their mojo on yet. Ollie going down is a big loss but it gives Youngy a serious crack at it now. He has the talent, there is no doubting that. Krak if he is allowed will only get better.

Best game this year by a mile for Carlisle, great game from Ryder, I can only salivate at the thought of having Lobbes in tandem with Paddy.

2L -1W could easily have been 1L-2W. If we can get up against the Hawks next week it will be an even more HUGE showdown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the first time this season it felt like we got selection right. No Butcher getting in the way or an underdone Redden reduced to running on the spot before half time. We took the extra midfielder to Etihad and RAN and it worked.

Was great to see Ryder embracing the boys after the win. We finally got to see somewhere close to the best of him for a whole game last night and he dismissed any notion he can't play as the sole ruckman if and when required. Was possibly the difference between a win and a loss tonight and might not be the last time this year.

With the Wines injury Young looks primed set to break out once and for all over the next month or so.

Bring on the Hawks next week. Up the Power!

Gday guys.
well done last night. Even though we lost, it was a fast free flowing exciting game which is always more tolerable to watch.
one thing my dad and I noticed was it seemed like you guys were happy to 'kick for touch' and hit the boundary inside 50. It was almost like you were happy to set up a boundary throw in 30-60m out and try to have a set play then hold onto the ball or try to hit up a difficult pass inside 50. It seemed to work because it took our spare man out of the equation a lot.
Has this been a tactic before? Did we not give north enough credit in pressuring your players making them have to kick it out?
When it was a throw in it seemed the plan was to have gray/boak feed it backwards and have ebert hartlett Broadbent lining up and just flicking it down the line till one of them had a clear pass

Can't believe it has taken people so long to realise Mitchell is AFL quality

tumblr_mvurd13FPb1sjim5po1_400.jpg

"Fixed that for you mate"

His defence, and that of Broady has really improved these past 12 months.

Out of interest though, who was on Thomas last night? I would have picked Jonas for the job, but couldn't see from the TV. Whoever it was lost him around the drop of the ball far too easily.
The highlights package suggests he kicked 2 on Jasper.

Young played injured last year which us why his performance was way down and we protected him a bit as sub.

He's the missing link for our inside midfield cause, apart from all the other good parts of his game, he is prepared to jump on the ball and can then dish it out on hands and knees. Apart from Ollie nobody else does it, too busy trying to keep their feet (Kens mantra) and they prefer to let the opposition win it and lay a tackle.

What I want to know is why the **** didn't he play the first two games?

Gday guys.
well done last night. Even though we lost, it was a fast free flowing exciting game which is always more tolerable to watch.
one thing my dad and I noticed was it seemed like you guys were happy to 'kick for touch' and hit the boundary inside 50. It was almost like you were happy to set up a boundary throw in 30-60m out and try to have a set play then hold onto the ball or try to hit up a difficult pass inside 50. It seemed to work because it took our spare man out of the equation a lot.
Has this been a tactic before? Did we not give north enough credit in pressuring your players making them have to kick it out?
When it was a throw in it seemed the plan was to have gray/boak feed it backwards and have ebert hartlett Broadbent lining up and just flicking it down the line till one of them had a clear pass
Its our substitute tactic for not having a big Gorilla forward and when we clear out forwardline to have 18 play on ball to help out when our mid field is getting beaten. Happened a lot in 2014 and a fair bit in 2013 but not as much as 2014.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back