Unofficial Preview Changes/prematch discussion versus Geelong (OUT: JMac/Luke IN: BJ/Frog)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder whether comparisons to Swallow might be apt. A bit slow, not a penetrating kick but good in-and-under, good tackler, good at getting where the ball is at contests.

Might show a bit more goal sense and versatility forward of centre than Spitta, while a bit less pure grunt?
I think Spitter is a bit quicker tbh, and a bit more agile around the packs. That is a great strength of his, that first step and change of direction allows him to get free enough to hand off more often than not. Also, Dumont is a bigger unit. Just a massive trunk on him so once he is up to the required standard he should be very strong.

I'd make Wells come back through the Reserves.

JZ nearly dies for the club weekly and Wells won't play if there is a hint of him straining a muscle.

You can't miss 2 weeks without having anything wrong with you, it's taking the piss out of the rest of the team.
WTF does this even mean?

I'd make Wells come back through the Reserves.

JZ nearly dies for the club weekly and Wells won't play if there is a hint of him straining a muscle.

You can't miss 2 weeks without having anything wrong with you, it's taking the piss out of the rest of the team.
You're comparing two totally different players with a 6 year age difference. They're being cautious with Wells because, at his age, if the achilles goes you'd have to think that would almost be the end of him. It's not a matter of being weak and taking the piss, it's a matter of the club trying to maintain and preserve his career.

Apples and oranges.

I fear he'll be the victim of inflated expectations.

IMO he showed enough in the NAB that he'll fit in ok but take a few games to adjust to the tempo. He'll reward patience if he gets enough of a shot.
Yep, that's what I'm expecting too. Sub maybe?

While we lost last week I actually think we've turned the corner. The effort and commitment was there but we ran into a pretty good team who were bashed up in the media and by the coach.

Same effort this week and we will by 5 goals plus.

Bookmark it.

While we lost last week I actually think we've turned the corner. The effort and commitment was there but we ran into a pretty good team who were bashed up in the media and by the coach.

Bookmark it.
Terrible call bigeasy. We are the most unpredictable side in the comp

The weather forecast this week is shite so I can't see us risking Wells' dodgy achilles nor JZ in a game that will be very heavy on contested footy.

I'd normally be an advocate of three talls up forward but the Cats have a selection big men who are all quite mobile so I think that we gain more from having height in defense this week. Rather than leaving Thompson to be exploited in a wrestle with Hawkins or Walker I reckon that Tippett is better suited to that purely negating role allowing Thompson, Tarrant and Firrito to work further up the ground. Dumont is surely a certainty this week given that he's one of our inside mids more accustomed to Nth Ballarat than Etihad. Basti to start as sub.

Ins: Dumont, Tippett
Outs: Ziebell (inj) Waite ("rested")

Bookmark it.

I hope you are right.

If we can bring that intensity every week we will be in every game we play. All of them no matter opponent or venue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bookmark it.
I generally agree with this view, except there is one issue that is bugging me. This was a very similar loss to the ones we suffered plenty of circa 2012-2013, when we finally learned how to compete against good sides, but were often a little bit short of the mark. At the time we put it down on lack of maturity, expecting that our time was a year or two away. Now with our list being that much older, and having appeared in the Prelim, we are rightfully expecting to take the next step, and that means beating teams like Port at home, especially, given we've done it last year. Yes, there were injuries this time round, however, we can't allow ANY excuses and MUST beat Geelong this week, or it will be a year of near misses again. It's very easy to go from 1:2 to 1:5 and the season is gone in a blink of an eye. Hope the players take a stand, and get the season back on track.

It's very easy to go from 1:2 to 1:5 and the season is gone in a blink of an eye. Hope the players take a stand, and get the season back on track.
Any chance Port were thinking this way before the game?

"It's very easy to go from 0:3 to 0:5 (Hawks and Crows to come for them) and the season is gone in the blink of an eye."

Any chance Port were thinking this way before the game?

"It's very easy to go from 0:3 to 0:5 (Hawks and Crows to come for them) and the season is gone in the blink of an eye."
Of course they were. But it didn't mean we should have lost just because they were so desperate. Geelong won't give us anything, unless we go over there and take it ourselves.

Quietly confident on this one. Lonergen looks like an out. Petrie, Waite and Brown should do some damage.

I think Spitter is a bit quicker tbh, and a bit more agile around the packs. That is a great strength of his, that first step and change of direction allows him to get free enough to hand off more often than not. Also, Dumont is a bigger unit. Just a massive trunk on him so once he is up to the required standard he should be very strong.
Probably right. Yeah, for a "slow" player Spitta is great at hitting clearances at speed. I said last year that the player Dumont most reminded me of in build and the way he moves was Larkin. Would be nice if he turned out half as good.

Probably right. Yeah, for a "slow" player Spitta is great at hitting clearances at speed. I said last year that the player Dumont most reminded me of in build and the way he moves was Larkin. Would be nice if he turned out half as good.
Good comparison. Probably not as evasive as Matty was but he looks like a similar build.

The weather forecast this week is shite so I can't see us risking Wells' dodgy achilles nor JZ in a game that will be very heavy on contested footy.

I'd normally be an advocate of three talls up forward but the Cats have a selection big men who are all quite mobile so I think that we gain more from having height in defense this week. Rather than leaving Thompson to be exploited in a wrestle with Hawkins or Walker I reckon that Tippett is better suited to that purely negating role allowing Thompson, Tarrant and Firrito to work further up the ground. Dumont is surely a certainty this week given that he's one of our inside mids more accustomed to Nth Ballarat than Etihad. Basti to start as sub.

Ins: Dumont, Tippett
Outs: Ziebell (inj) Waite ("rested")

Unless Tippett played on John Coleman in the twos and kept him to one goal.......I can't see him coming back unless there's an injured tall down back out. Besides your other player could swing down back (Waite) and Black could come back in (as suggested by Brad Scott) that he is still in the plans throughout the season.

Unless Tippett played on John Coleman in the twos and kept him to one goal.......I can't see him coming back unless there's an injured tall down back out. Besides your other player could swing down back (Waite) and Black could come back in (as suggested by Brad Scott) that he is still in the plans throughout the season.

I see where you're coming from but I don't reckon that Waite is the answer down back on the monster forwards. I would have thought that Tarrant could play that role (and he still could) but it risks robbing the run that he showed on Saturday. I advocate Tippett purely on match ups on what promises to be a wet day.

I also query whether we intend to play Waite in 22 games this year. A wet afternoon in Geelong with a 6-day break to the Hawks could be a chance to rest him up while being a bit more mobile up forward??

I also query whether we intend to play Waite in 22 games this year. A wet afternoon in Geelong with a 6-day break to the Hawks could be a chance to rest him up while being a bit more mobile up forward??
That's a very good point. The club has said they never expected Waite to play every game this year, so I could understand if they brought Black in for him this week (we all remember how well he played in the wet vs Sydney last year).

So many differing options and decisions to make, I don't know how they do it!

Geelong have released a statement of condolence announcing officially that Tom Hawkins' mum has indeed passed away. Terribly sad news for Tom and his family and, in light of that, I'd expect him to be unlikely to play.

VALE Mrs Hawkins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back