MRP / Trib. Moore on report - intentional umpire contact

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how the Williams incident is relevant given it was 20 years ago in a different league.

And there are very few other instances where a player has deliberately pushed an umpire. I was putting it in perspective, as you would assume Moore would have got more than 3 games if he did it in the AFL.

3 matches. **** off $ANFL
Steve Blocker Roach playing for Balmain against Manly in 1990 disputed a touch ref's decision and main ref Eddie Ward called him in to explain the penalty, sent Blocker to the sin bin for 10 minutes, Blocker disputed the decision mouthed off and then patted the ref on the head like you would a small boy. There was no malice or roughness to what he did just sarcasm. Blocker got 4 games for a harmless act so I was expecting this sort of penalty. Umpires/refs seem to lack common sense so you would expect the authorities "protecting them" would also lack common sense.

Moore wouldn't be on sheep stations.

Maximum SANFL fine plus club enforced fine (donated to grass roots/junior umpiring) plus a one week suspension - missing the ANZAC Day game he almost certainly would've been picked for - plus public apology would've sufficed.

3 weeks is neither here nor there.
The guilty plea is as good as an apology I think and the umpire involved did go into bat for him. Was always going to be 2 but I'm pretty sure over the past year there have been a couple of instances were umpires have been physically abused in amateur competition, could be they want a headline that sends a message you don't go near an umpire at all under any circumstances.

How about the fact that the umpire bumped into Moore twice before he even raised his arm?

I get that umpires are not to be touched but the umpire in this instance was obviously comfortable enough to get close enough to Moore to bump into him, even leaning in to speak to him.

This seems so ridiculous to me but not at all surprising.

Fines would be meaningless in this instance. You can't really make up different rules for people, but say a 20k fine would be a huge penalty for a non-afl player, but a SANFL std fine (say 1-5k) would completely trivialise the offence for someone on an AFL Wage. Was always getting weeks, just a question of how many. 3 is probably somewhere in the middle. Not a disaster(considering Greg Williams 9 week suspension for a similar level of push), and just enough for us to call the SANFL a bunch if flogs :p

But you can! AFL listed players can easily be fined more. The competition has two tiers of players so a two tiered fine system is appropriate.

The SANFL would do very well to adopt a tribunal system similar to the 2015 spec AFL

I was at the game and my mates and I were watching the incident unfold..When Moorey touched the umpire we both said WHOA at the same time..not surprised 3 weeks He just has to train hard and get straight back in..

What I get from this and the Yaren suspensions is this.
If your getting frustrated from what an opposition player does.:mad:
Don't try and explain the situation to the umpire in case you touch him.:cry:
Your better off just belting the player in the head.:drunk:
You'll get the same punishment but you'll feel a whole lot better afterwards. ;)

Seriously what he did wasn't smart but it wasn't worth 3 games.

3 weeks is rough but you have to come down pretty hard on anyone who does this sort of thing.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree that touching an umpire warrants 3 weeks. The Phil Carman/Carberry headbutt thing is obviously out and even an aggresive push could be worth something but Moore touched the umpire once to demonstrate the push and was walking away from him. A silly thing to do given umpires and the SANFL/AFL are all so precious but not worth giving him games. In the scale of the entire game, was it really such a dastardly thing to do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching it back again, umpire looks to brush Moore twice amidst the conversation and Moore puts up a hand with the lightest of 'back up' taps/pushes.

Shouldn't have done it, but we also shouldn't confuse his demonstrative conversation with the contact he makes, which doesn't seem malicious or aggressive at all. If Moore really wished to "push" a guy that size with intent the ump would be halfway to the Oort Cloud as we speak.

Were you talking to me?

No, my Cloud is also named Oort.

When that actually happens, then you can say that. Until then we've got a player who can't control his temper and has cost us at an important time of the season.
You're making it sound like he often loses his temper and gets suspended. It was nothing more than a heat of the moment situation and an uncharacteristic mistake from Moore. It was so minor that the actual umpire came to Moore's defence and said that he had no idea of it at the time, hence why he didn't react or report Moore on the spot. As most people have already said, a 1 week suspension and a fine would have been adequate. 3 weeks is just absurd. Common sense once again doesn't prevail.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree that touching an umpire warrants 3 weeks. The Phil Carman/Carberry headbutt thing is obviously out and even an aggresive push could be worth something but Moore touched the umpire once to demonstrate the push and was walking away from him. A silly thing to do given umpires and the SANFL/AFL are all so precious but not worth giving him games. In the scale of the entire game, was it really such a dastardly thing to do?

I know what you are saying and that was clearly Moorey intention...So the tattooed thug from Pooraka pushes an umpire to demonstrate what his opponent did to him..The precedent cannot be allowed as a defence under any circumstances

Watching it back again, umpire looks to brush Moore twice amidst the conversation and Moore puts up a hand with the lightest of 'back up' taps/pushes.

Shouldn't have done it, but we also shouldn't confuse his demonstrative conversation with the contact he makes, which doesn't seem malicious or aggressive at all. If Moore really wished to "push" a guy that size with intent the ump would be halfway to the Oort Cloud as we speak.

Were you referring to me?

No, my Cloud is also named Oort.

Port argued the contact was less severe than that made with an umpire by current Greater Western Sydney player Heath Shaw, when he was at Collingwood in 2009.

Shaw only missed one match for the incident.

Fleer came to Moore’s defence at the hearing, saying the contact was “something totally minor” and he had not been aware of it at the time.

“I didn’t have any idea of it until someone actually mentioned it to me after the game,’’ Fleer said.

But SANFL tribunal chairman Ian White rejected Moore’s testimony that he had been re-enacting his altercation with Caldwell, ruling that he had consciously pushed the umpire with minimal force.

“Other umpires could easily have been intimidated,’’ White said.
So basically, the SANFL didn't give a s**t about what Fleer said, and instead ran with "other umpires could have been intimidated".

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/an...-malice-involved/story-fndv8s6g-1227313475590

It was pretty stupid what Moore did and I'm not surprised he got 3 weeks, touching an umpire is an absolute no and every player knows that even at junior level. People comparing the Yaren case to this is like comparing apples with rocks. comparing an incident involving 2 players to an incident with a player and an umpire is always going weighted differently. Moore has no one but himself to blame he knew he was over stepping the mark the second he touched the umpire, if he had an issue with the umps decision tell him not demonstrate to him what happened by reenacting what happened by bumping the umpire. It doesn't matter how soft he bumped the ump he was always going to get weeks for it.

You simply can't grade contact with an umpire. There is no grading it is simple, it is drummed into you from the under 9s, you don't need to think about it. There's no "Can I give them a little push that wouldn't be too bad?". Ask any football player in any code how much physical contact can I have with an umpire when remonstrating a decision. It was dumb and Andrew Moore left himself open to a ridiculous penalty.

See, piss off.

If you're gonna deem him guilty of baseline umpire contact, do that.

Don't dismiss the testimony of the fieldy and assume others "would have been intimidated". That's just bullshit.
Sound legal logic that.. Assume :rolleyes:

See, piss off.

If you're gonna deem him guilty of baseline umpire contact, do that.

Don't dismiss the testimony of the fieldy and assume others "could have been intimidated". That's just bullshit.
Bingo. Why does the AFL even recognise this incompetent organisation's tribunal system? Why is an AFL footballer missing AFL games for something that happened in a pissant feeder league?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back