MRP / Trib. Moore on report - intentional umpire contact

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly, we play in their competition.

They make their money from our competition so they can make decisions about our players in their competition.
Sure, but if he is to be suspended from afl duties for 3 weeks then an afl representative needs to be present to determine whether he should be. Maybe the AFL would say that it's worth one week of afl, but if you amateurs think it's 3 then he can't play in your pissant comp for that long

I'm not sure what people were expecting for a player deliberately making contact with an umpire. It's not an anti-port conspiracy

I think many were expecting common sense. A harmless touch is a harmless touch no matter who has been touched. A harmless touch in comparison to all the other discrepancies that occur in the SANFL that I have seen over the years.

Sure, but if he is to be suspended from afl duties for 3 weeks then an afl representative needs to be present to determine whether he should be. Maybe the AFL would say that it's worth one week of afl, but if you amateurs think it's 3 then he can't play in your pissant comp for that long

Push an umpire in the AFL and see how long you're on the sidelines for...

I'm not sure what people were expecting for a player deliberately making contact with an umpire. It's not an anti-port conspiracy

I was expecting a tipped bucket a la Diesel or a common sense approach in the manner of a week off, a fine and having Andrew Moore front a presser expressing his apologies and reiterating that touching an official under any circumstance, at any level, is forbidden.

3 weeks is such a typical bollocks decision.

It's either a hanging offence, or it's setting an example. This is neither.

I know it was in a different age but Greg Williams got 9 weeks for accidentally running into one of them.

I know it was in a different age but Greg Williams got 9 weeks for accidentally running into one of them.

Nah, he shoved one away while trying to mouth off at Sean Denham.

Hmmm. If 'Big Texan' softly pushed an umpire in one of his SANFL matches last year right before his AFL return, how many games do you think he would have gotten? 3 games is an outrageous decision no matter what side of the fence you sit on. The SANFL's ingrained hatred of everything Port Adelaide lives on.

I think it's a heavy handed and disproportionate penalty for what Moore did. It really just highlights how antiquated the SANFL tribunal is. A chunky fine +/- 1 week would have been sufficient.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shouldn't have done it. We know that we're not going to get any leniency from an SANFL tribunal.

Hmmm. If 'Big Texan' softly pushed an umpire in one of his SANFL matches last year right before his AFL return, how many games do you think he would have gotten?

When that actually happens, then you can say that. Until then we've got a player who can't control his temper and has cost us at an important time of the season.

I think it's a heavy handed and disproportionate penalty for what Moore did. It really just highlights how antiquated the SANFL tribunal is. A chunky fine +/- 1 week would have been sufficient.

Fines would be meaningless in this instance. You can't really make up different rules for people, but say a 20k fine would be a huge penalty for a non-afl player, but a SANFL std fine (say 1-5k) would completely trivialise the offence for someone on an AFL Wage. Was always getting weeks, just a question of how many. 3 is probably somewhere in the middle. Not a disaster(considering Greg Williams 9 week suspension for a similar level of push), and just enough for us to call the SANFL a bunch if flogs :p

Another way over the top decision. Then after he'd done it they began suspending players for trying to get to a ball or ruck contests but incidentally making contact with umpires that in some cases were positioned incorrectly. It took several years for the AFL to wake up and realise the umps were not being deliberately targeted.

The Williams one should not be a precedent.

Fines would be meaningless in this instance. You can't really make up different rules for people, but say a 20k fine would be a huge penalty for a non-afl player, but a SANFL std fine (say 1-5k) would completely trivialise the offence for someone on an AFL Wage. Was always getting weeks, just a question of how many. 3 is probably somewhere in the middle. Not a disaster(considering Greg Williams 9 week suspension for a similar level of push), and just enough for us to call the SANFL a bunch if flogs :p

Not sure how the Williams incident is relevant given it was 20 years ago in a different league.

Moore wouldn't be on sheep stations.

Maximum SANFL fine plus club enforced fine (donated to grass roots/junior umpiring) plus a one week suspension - missing the ANZAC Day game he almost certainly would've been picked for - plus public apology would've sufficed.

3 weeks is neither here nor there.

3 weeks is rough but you have to come down pretty hard on anyone who does this sort of thing.

Silly from Moore, just as a place in the AFL side opened up for him.

How many times has he been done now? He missed matches last year for a overly enthusiastic tackle. Has he been reported before that?

Essentially got weeks for tackling a jockey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back