Do you worry about the concessions GWS and GC have received?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've thought this for a while, but I really fear for the equity of this competition with the ridiculous concessions both of these sides have been given by fat Andy. GC will be a force once the injuries subside.

Our loss to GWS yesterday was not surprising at all, in fact, I'm surprised it took so long for it to happen. From my count, they had well over 12 first round picks out there yesterday (I think it might be 15 exactly), and that's with a few on the sidelines and a few traded for established senior players.

I just find it hard to accept the media gushing over GWS this year, like they have gone from a bunch of spuds to superstars overnight.

There is no other side in the comp (besides GC) that could lose guys like Bruce, Boyd, Hombsch etc and not even bat an eyelid.

I agree.

Frankly, I think people are being really naive.

THIS is the biggest problem facing the competition today. The AFL has created a Frankenstein'a monster, by gifting the biggest concessions in the history of world sport to one team.

GWS don't need to do too much right to be one of the greatest teams of the modern era. All other teams are dealing with equalization and they are getting the most extraordinary unearned advantages ever seen.

And they have 8000 people attending their games. That might double or even triple once they're dominating - but how many will supporters will the rest of the competition lose?

No. It won't last forever. It's a small period of time compared to the history and future of the game. If these clubs had been at the bottom of the ladder for an extended period they would've failed and everyone would've lost.

Besides, early draft picks are far from a guarantee of success. Yes they've had more than most, but they've also had no established culture for the players to walk into. They've had to develop an entire club as well as an entire list of players. Clubs like Melbourne and Carlton have had plenty of early picks along all the benefits that come from being big established Melbourne clubs. GWS and GC have none of it. For me saying "they have concessions so this success is meaningless" is just lazy criticism.

No because they won't be able to keep all of them when they hit Free Agency.

In six years time?

And they'll get first round compo to replace them?

Plus everything they receive every time a player chooses to leave now - you still have to trade for them.

It will take a generation for the rest of the comp to claw back the advantages that have been offered GWS.

No. It won't last forever. It's a small period of time compared to the history and future of the game. If these clubs had been at the bottom of the ladder for an extended period they would've failed and everyone would've lost.

Besides, early draft picks are far from a guarantee of success. Yes they've had more than most, but they've also had no established culture for the players to walk into. They've had to develop an entire club as well as an entire list of players. Clubs like Melbourne and Carlton have had plenty of early picks along all the benefits that come from being big established Melbourne clubs. GWS and GC have none of it. For me saying "they have concessions so this success is meaningless" is just lazy criticism.

Keep in mind - Carlton are discussing trading two or three of their best players to try and get some picks in the first 30.

GWS have FIVE picks from the first 25 from LAST YEAR who have yet to even PLAY this year.

Let's remember this conversation in three year's time.

In six years time?

And they'll get first round compo to replace them?

Plus everything they receive every time a player chooses to leave now - you still have to trade for them.

It will take a generation for the rest of the comp to claw back the advantages that have been offered GWS.
Eh possibly but they could end up with a truck load of F/S in 20 years if it ain't scrapped.

Keep in mind - Carlton are discussing trading two or three of their best players to try and get some picks in the first 30.

GWS have FIVE picks from the first 25 from LAST YEAR who have yet to even PLAY this year.

Let's remember this conversation in three year's time.
What concessions did they get last year exactly?

What concessions did they get last year exactly?
None, but why did they need any when they could simply trade out one of their many first round picks for an established player? Surely you didn't miss that?

Would your club ever have the luxury of trading out the number one pick from the year prior?

None, but why did they need any when they could simply trade out one of their many first round picks for an established player? Surely you didn't miss that?

Would your club ever have the luxury of trading out the number one pick from the year prior?
Because no club has ever traded the number one pick of the player chosen with it...

It's working out in Western Sydney, but Gold Coast are struggling with an extra year in the system and similar concessions. Isn't this an illustration of the luck involved?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's working out in Western Sydney, but Gold Coast are struggling with an extra year in the system and similar concessions. Isn't this an illustration of the luck involved?

Exactly, AFL had to give GWS the same leg up they gave the Suns. The Giants have developed their picks and capitalised - Suns have plenty of injuries but the key one being G. Ablett who wont carry them to a flag alone

GC must have the worst injury list in the comp though, and didn't get the mini draft concession: those were huge.

I don't worry over it, but I feel for clubs like St Kilda, Melbourne and the Bulldogs who are ramping up for another crack at what would be a first premiership in 50 years and then they cop GWS (maybe not so much Melbourne). It's tough!

What I'm mulling over is how they keep losing payers and getting amazing returns for them. They have the likes of Kelly, Plowman, Patton, Pickett, Ahern and Steele not currently entrenched in their best 22 and if they still aren't getting regular game time in 2 years they'll trade them out at a high price and reload again at the top end.

Let's say they lose Shiel at years end they'll get a top 5-10 pick and then some in return they're likely to finish top 6 this year and could quite conceivably have two picks in the top 15. They then replace Shiel internally with Steele and waltz on their merry way.

Of course this thread only starts when the OP's team gets flogged.

24 points isn't really a flogging. I didn't even feel bad about it. I tipped GWS because I thought their midfield would be too quick for us and they we're. Also the Crows injury list at the moment is probably the worst I've ever seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back