Next flag - Carlton, Essendon or Richmond?

Who will win their next flag first?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Fletcher, just barely. If we were out of finals contention, I'd like to think we'd be copping the mistakes a younger player would make.
At the moment he is clearly in the best 18-22 range. The repacement names mentioned so far have failed to make an impact when the oportunity has presented. That said, this has to be his final year.

Yet he played 19 games last year, 18 of which were with Newman in the same team...

Who you think offers more is irrelevant as Hardwick picks the team and every week he picks Newman.
That doesn't make Newy best 22, that means the coach relies on his experience at time the fact that he had too play two or three in the reserves shows he is not automatically best 22, we lost a couple of youngsters to injury or I doubt he would be back in the seniors yet.

Yet he played 19 games last year, 18 of which were with Newman in the same team...

Who you think offers more is irrelevant as Hardwick picks the team and every week he picks Newman.
Newman won't win a flag with us, fairly simple

suspect richmond are as good as they are going to get with this list ... bottom half of the 8 and @ best 2nd week of the finals

essendon are a mess ... full of veterans from other clubs with no prospect of winning a premiership .. back to drawing board

carlton are full of young talent on the improve , finals 2016 , premiership window starting in 2017

Anyway:

its fun to bag efc for having a rubbish list

but richmond still got Chaplin, Newman, Grigg, Houli, Hunt getting games every week

not sure if you can win a flag with that weakest 20%, all seem to be Damien Hardwick best mates too

Newman is on the outer, which leaves four. In the 2014 grand final, players like Lloyd, Suckling, Spangher, Rampe, Cunningham and Bird played. So the top two teams had about two or three average players. The difference then is not replacing all those guys, but throwing in another one or two, it's difficult, but not impossible.

carlton are full of young talent on the improve , finals 2016 , premiership window starting in 2017

Lol surely you are joking. To be a premiership window in 2017 you would allready have to have pretty much your whole premiership team on your current list. Feel free to list your starting 22 that you think could win a flag in 2 years. 2021 or so would be earliest premiership window if you get everything 100% right over the next few years.

suspect richmond are as good as they are going to get with this list ... bottom half of the 8 and @ best 2nd week of the finals

essendon are a mess ... full of veterans from other clubs with no prospect of winning a premiership .. back to drawing board

lol.

Thank god then we have a thing called a draft yeah, helps grow our list. Also awesome news, jack has signed till 2019! Hows Hendo contract talks going mate ? Hope he signs to grow with your chock full of talented list lol

Lol surely you are joking. To be a premiership window in 2017 you would allready have to have pretty much your whole premiership team on your current list. Feel free to list your starting 22 that you think could win a flag in 2 years.

Kreuzer , bell , murphy , cripps , gibbs , graham , holman , yarran , buckley , tuohy , docherty , casboult , henderson , wood , menzel , armfield , curnow , everitt , white , rowe , silvagni + hoping simpson can stay on to enjoy the good years

lol.

Thank god then we have a thing called a draft yeah, helps grow our list. Also awesome news, jack has signed till 2019! Hows Hendo contract talks going mate ? Hope he signs to grow with your chock full of talented list lol

hope he stays suspect he will now that MM has been moved on

but if he doesn't so be it , receive the cats no.1 draft pick

As of now...

Richmond will be in the finals for many years, but I somehow think that they are going to blow their chances like St. Kilda did. I don't think they will be the next to win a premiership out of the three, but they have the right to be named the most likely to. To be honest, I have no idea who will win first.

Essendon are the the team that has the most problems to fix at the moment. Not just because of the drug scandal but Hird and the other coaches are making poor choices and a shoving to many young players aside by persisting with players in their 30's which have past their use-by date.

Carlton ain't going to get anywhere quickly, but with Buckley, Graham, Cripps, Bell, Docherty and Menzel cementing their spots in the team, the future of the club is not as bad as everyone thinks it is. Plus, Barker is giving the kids more of a go and the age of the list is slowly decreasing.

As of now...

Richmond will be in the finals for many years, but I somehow think that they are going to blow their chances like St. Kilda did. I don't think they will be the next to win a premiership out of the three, but they have the right to be named the most likely to. To be honest, I have no idea who will win first.

Essendon are the the team that has the most problems to fix at the moment. Not just because of the drug scandal but Hird and the other coaches are making poor choices and a shoving to many young players aside by persisting with players in their 30's which have past their use-by date.

Carlton ain't going to get anywhere quickly, but with Buckley, Graham, Cripps, Bell, Docherty and Menzel cementing their spots in the team, the future of the club is not as bad as everyone thinks it is. Plus, Barker is giving the kids more of a go and the age of the list is slowly decreasing.
We are a hunted team so it definately will not be easy.
Media will try anything to put us mentally off our game also.

When Richmond consistently make top 4 it will be us against the world lol.

As of now...

Carlton are in far more trouble list wise than Essendon. Besides Cripps there is an alarming lack of young talent. The only other players of note that are 23 or younger would be Docherty and Menzel. If you wanted to reach you could add a couple to that list such as Graham. But every other team in the comp has a significantly better list of youth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton are in far more trouble list wise than Essendon. Besides Cripps there is an alarming lack of young talent. The only other players of note that are 23 or younger would be Docherty and Menzel. If you wanted to reach you could add a couple to that list such as Graham. But every other team in the comp has a significantly better list of youth.

You are way off the mark. Essendon are 10 times worse in terms of young talent. It is usually the teams with the oldest lists as they believe experience gets them over the line. Hird is constantly bringing in young players, making the the substitue and dropping them after one or two weeks. After the match against the Hawks, most of their young and/or inexperienced players were awfully bad, apart from McKernan.

The Carlton list doesn't look good but isn't that bad as everybody believes it to be, it was the drafting and recruiting that was the problem.
In terms of game experience, Carlton does probably have the least number of games in the younger group, but they are only just beginning.

Those already in our team in Buckley, Graham, Cripps, Bell, Docherty and Menzel.
Now Barker is giving games to Holman and eventually Boekhorst, Byrne, Whiley, etc.

Cripps isn't the only bright light. You are severely underestimating what some of the others are capable of bringing to the team.

You are way off the mark. Essendon are 10 times worse in terms of young talent. It is usually the teams with the oldest lists as they believe experience gets them over the line. Hird is constantly bringing y=in young players, making the the substitue and dropping them after one or two weeks.

The list doesn't look good but isn't that bad as everybody believes it to be, it was the drafting and recruiting that was the problem.
In terms of game experience, Carlton does probably have the least number of games in the younger group, but they are only just beginning.

Those already in our team in Buckley, Graham, Cripps, Bell, Docherty and Menzel.
Now Barker is giving games to Holman and eventually Boekhorst, Byrne, Whiley, etc.

Cripps isn't the only bright light. You are severely underestimating what some of the others are capable of bringing to the team.

good points ;

you forgot to mention the bumbling bombers unable to make hard calls on veterans , old man fletcher is 5 years past his used by date

also people forget how young kreuzer is still for a ruckman , 10 good years in front of him (injury free)

Lol, you seriously have no idea, mate.

good points ;

you forgot to mention the bumbling bombers unable to make hard calls on veterans , old man fletcher is 5 years past his used by date

also people forget how young kreuzer is still for a ruckman , 10 good years in front of him (injury free)

That I am concerned about. All our ruckmen are over 25. The club still needs to find younger one for the future, because Warnock will be gone by the end of the season and I don't think Kreuzer and Wood are going to last that long. Great to see you are still optimistic with that.

Even Matt Korchek isn't going to be the answer to our problems. We have to dig really deep and hope that someone with a few more years to grow will pop up for us.

Barker has certainly got the delusion levels at fever pitch amongst the bretheren on BF.

If I were you, I'd be more worried about Hird and where the bombers are at.

People laugh at Carlton's recruiting, but at least they get some things right.

If you honestly think that Cooney, Goddard, Gwilt, Giles and Chapman are going to take you to the next flag, than these so-called 'delusion levels' would be much higher at Essendon than anywhere else.

If you honestly think that Cooney, Goddard, Gwilt, Giles and Chapman is going to take you to the next flag, than the delusion levels would be much higher at Essendon than anywhere else.

I think most Essendon fans realise this we are not that naive out of the older blokes I would keep Goddard,Watson and Stanton for experience.

Last edited:

This exact line was trotted out a month ago. Nice to see that big wins over Freo and Sydney on their home decks has done nothing to change that.

Jack Riewoldt just extended his contract to the end of 2019 too. This list isn't going anywhere any time soon.

I think most Essendon fans realise this we are not that naive. IMO the only two I'll keep around will be Goddard and Watson for experience.

It's good to keep some experience. Those are exactly the two I would keep. But to have a aged side that is not as talented as Hawthorn's is a waste of time.

A team with Fletcher, Dempsey, Baguley, Winderlich, Stanton, Cooney, Goddard, Gwilt, Giles, Watson, Hocking and Chapman is quite concerning.

Only need three or four of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back