2015 Non-Crows AFL Discussion - Pt. 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow - no one gets hurt from partaking in illicit drugs. Well that's interesting to know

I think he was more saying that the vast majority don't get hurt, not that no one does.

If it's not performance enhancing and they keep it hidden I don't care. Having kids looking up to you as a role model means you have certain responsibilities (edit: as someone above said)

Goes for alcohol and behaviour in general just as much as drugs. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's cool to get blind every weekend.

It's naive to think that drug use is not a regular occurrence throughout the AFL . Some clubs are better at sweeping stuff under the carpet/injunctions. Some of the stories that have been floating around are truly eye opening.

I think he was more saying that the vast majority don't get hurt, not that no one does.

If it's not performance enhancing and they keep it hidden I don't care. Having kids looking up to you as a role model means you have certain responsibilities (edit: as someone above said)

Goes for alcohol and behaviour in general just as much as drugs. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's cool to get blind every weekend.

If we leave all of the health/mental health/relationship problems to one side, the main point for me as a father to impressionable aged kids is its illegal. You can't go to the local Dan Murphys or drive through at the local pub and buy cocaine. These players are young and like to party, I get that, but with the lifestyle they enjoy, the huge money, adulation from fans, they are in a prestigious position. I don't think they can have it both ways, they need to make sacrifices.

He's a moron for taking them to begin with and drugs will ruin his life if he doesn't get off them, just as they will for the hundreds of thousands of other morons that use them in their free time. I hope he's harshly penalised.

you need a valium to calm down? its ok the government says that one is a 'good' drug.

Ive never been one to partake in drugs other than panadol, I even refused morphine after brain surgery (Yeah I'm tough haha) due to the fact I'm easily hooked on things. I don't judge people for doing it, but seriously how ****ing dumb are these blokes ??

A week out from your first game and you're taking pictures. They should get a ban for extreme idiocy alone

you need a valium to calm down? its ok the government says that one is a 'good' drug.

Yeah, that pesky gubberment, hey!

If you can't see the difference between a benzo which (hopefully) is only prescribed in minimal dosages to patients who actually need it due to mental health issues, and the "recreational" use of hard drugs, I'm not sure what to tell you.

This is snorting cocaine which when hooked often leads to other hard drugs such as the cheaper ice when the coke is made too expensive by the pusher for the junkie to buy.

Very strange & weird comments made on here by some of our posters.

Here is a common misconception perpetrated by the uninitiated. Hundreds of thousands of people partake in drugs
Every weekend recreationally wihout becoming "hooked" or "junkies" or have it ruin their lives. Similar figures to alcohol use vs chronic alcoholism or Pokies use vs chronic gambling.
There will always exist a percentage who have an addictive disposition and these are the people the end up statistics, regardless of what substance we talk about. A percentage of the drug/alcohol using population reallly hate their lives to begin with and to them, drugs/alcohol addiction comes when they use the drugs to counter their self misery. This will always be the case. We need drug addicts and we need miserable people ,for without them, we have no base level from which we can gauge how happy and wonderful our own lives are.

Yeah, that pesky gubberment, hey!

If you can't see the difference between a benzo which (hopefully) is only prescribed in minimal dosages to patients who actually need it due to mental health issues, and the "recreational" use of hard drugs, I'm not sure what to tell you.

You would be staggered if you looked deeply into the stats regarding addiction and death caused by legal Pharma company pushed compounds vs illicit narcotics.

Like more people died from Paracetamol (acetaminophen) overdose in this country than "Ice" overdose last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They played an all star game in Vegas In 2007 and there were hundreds of extra arrests and extra shootings that weekend, NBA said never again.

No surprise, as some people just can't handle Vegas.

Been there numerous times and have had great time each time - too much booze on occasions and friends have told me the time they had to pull me out of the Bellagio bushes (which I had fallen into) - wasn't one of my finest moments.

Here is a common misconception perpetrated by the uninitiated. Hundreds of thousands of people partake in drugs
Every weekend recreationally wihout becoming "hooked" or "junkies" or have it ruin their lives. Similar figures to alcohol use vs chronic alcoholism or Pokies use vs chronic gambling.
There will always exist a percentage who have an addictive disposition and these are the people the end up statistics, regardless of what substance we talk about. A percentage of the drug/alcohol using population reallly hate their lives to begin with and to them, drugs/alcohol addiction comes when they use the drugs to counter their self misery. This will always be the case. We need drug addicts and we need miserable people ,for without them, we have no base level from which we can gauge how happy and wonderful our own lives are.
I know plenty of friends that preferred drink and have some mates who got into drugs in their 20s. Two of the drug guys are dead. Those that preferred alcohol are not. The consequences of drug addiction can be far more dramatic and sudden. Chris Mainwaring Isa recent example. These guys need to be supported but it should be seen as a serious issue.

At the end of the day, these drugs are illegal. If you end are taking it every weekend, you are hooked.

I'll probably get shouted down by the 40 year old virgin types on here, but if Bennell gets sacked we should move heaven and earth to get him here. Why??? I hear you ask. Well, if you consider that we've lost a heap of draft picks over the last few years, any talented players we can bring into the club on the cheap helps offset the loss of draft picks and we should be exploiting the situation to get a really talented player for nix.

Bennell is obviously a loose cannon and has issues with discipline. If the things reported in the media and on bigfooty are true then he is an angry young man who really needs to be placed in a club that has a strong leadership group and strong culture. Our club could provide that. The Gold Coast is a party town and it encourages players to 'play up' whereas Adelaide is much more subdued and is a football mad state. Put a loose cannon in a different environment that focuses on football and put him in with other focused and disciplined indigenous men and it'd be worth the risk of seeing if, in a different environment, Bennell can 'clean up' his act. Phil would also be an excellent father figure/mentor for Bennell.

Ultimately if Bennell was sacked and he ended up here and he played up again we could cut him and get rid of him quickly. A disgraced player can be picked up on the cheap so is worth the gamble. We need to be aggressive to make up for our draft sanctions and its low risk high reward gambles like this that can get us back in the game.

I'll probably get shouted down by the 40 year old virgin types on here, but if Bennell gets sacked we should move heaven and earth to get him here. Why??? I hear you ask. Well, if you consider that we've lost a heap of draft picks over the last few years, any talented players we can bring into the club on the cheap helps offset the loss of draft picks and we should be exploiting the situation to get a really talented player for nix.

Bennell is obviously a loose cannon and has issues with discipline. If the things reported in the media and on bigfooty are true then he is an angry young man who really needs to be placed in a club that has a strong leadership group and strong culture. Our club could provide that. The Gold Coast is a party town and it encourages players to 'play up' whereas Adelaide is much more subdued and is a football mad state. Put a loose cannon in a different environment that focuses on football and put him in with other focused and disciplined indigenous men and it'd be worth the risk of seeing if, in a different environment, Bennell can 'clean up' his act. Phil would also be an excellent father figure/mentor for Bennell.

Ultimately if Bennell was sacked and he ended up here and he played up again we could cut him and get rid of him quickly. A disgraced player can be picked up on the cheap so is worth the gamble. We need to be aggressive to make up for our draft sanctions and its low risk high reward gambles like this that can get us back in the game.

We (and by 'we' I mean 'many, including myself') had similar sentiments towards Dayle Garlett.

Last edited:
No surprise, as some people just can't handle Vegas.

Been there numerous times and have had great time each time - too much booze on occasions and friends have told me the time they had to pull me out of the Bellagio bushes (which I had fallen into) - wasn't one of my finest moments.

A certain Port player was clearly under the influence of substances and in his impaired state jumped to his death. I've done pretty much every drug there is and I'll be doing everything I can to make sure
My daughter never goes near them. I was never addicted to anything but that doesn't mean they don't have a detrimental affect in other ways. Drugs are a huge scourge on our society.

Wow - no one gets hurt from partaking in illicit drugs. Well that's interesting to know
It's the discounting of negative outcomes such as "it's not that bad" and "I did it and everything turned out fine" and "it's normal to do" and "it doesn't affect anyone else" that I don't like.

Negative outcomes do happen, often. I also don't like the attitude "it's ok if they do drugs as long as we win games".

I'm sure the club spending $10m on player wages do not want players doing drugs. Neither should fans who spend their hard earned.

We (and be 'we' I mean 'many, including myself') had similar sentiments towards Dayle Garlett.

It's low risk stuff. Screws up even once and he's gone. I was in favour of getting Mitch Robinson from Carlton in the offseason and he's doing pretty well up in Brisbane. Played alright against us last weekend too. He would've been very handy for us especially with our injuries this year. Again, low risk high reward which is exactly what we need considering our draft penalties.

You would be staggered if you looked deeply into the stats regarding addiction and death caused by legal Pharma company pushed compounds vs illicit narcotics.

Like more people died from Paracetamol (acetaminophen) overdose in this country than "Ice" overdose last year.
I think you forgot to write Big Pharma somewhere in this post.

Of course more people die from drugs you can buy at the supermarket than from illegal and expensive hard drugs. Have you got any data on number of deaths as a rate of usage?

I have more than enough experience, with first and second hand, with prescribed medication to know that you simply cannot take it long term without repercussions. You only do it if it's necessary to maintain a reasonable quality of life. Snorting hard drugs doesn't fall into this category, and there are only two kinds of users, those who quit early with only minimal health consequences, and idiots who keep using them regularly and * themselves up.

There is no such thing as healthy regular usage of hard drugs.

If we leave all of the health/mental health/relationship problems to one side, the main point for me as a father to impressionable aged kids is its illegal. You can't go to the local Dan Murphys or drive through at the local pub and buy cocaine.

I think that's good enough and nice and simple for younger kids. Wasn't trying to compare responsible alcohol use with cocaine use. Two different kettle of fish obviously.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back