The 2015 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

you gotta hand it to the Essendon supporters who turn up week in week out for the last decade & put up with watching a basket case team yet year in year out Essendon are in the top two to three in the crowd averages playing most of their games out of etihad where teams struggle to draw crowds:cool:

The Dons support is remarkably resilient. Huge fanbase with a large 25,000 absolute mimimum core which turns out come hell or high water game after game however woeful they are.

However even that loyal core will surely be challenged by the disgraceful effort the team made. Truly disgraceful. Backing up a poor run with that hopeless spineless showing insulting their fans. The current Essendon team, management and club do not deserve support and if I were a Bomber I would be torn.....I want to support the club but the whole institutional club is a horrible shambles. I would attend no more games this year.

Remarkable they got nearly 40,000 as it is.

Otherwise a good round overall.

Plenty of those games have been Hawthorn Melbourne member replacement games, which gives an additional boost to crowds as both sets of members get to treat it like a 'home' game.

For Collingwood home games sure but not for Hawthorn home games:

Hawthorn home games (76,218, 78,202, 71,533, 70,516) (74,117 average)
Collingwood home games (67,668, 83,741, 83,714, 72,258, 48,940, 75,880) (72,048 average)

That said the 2010 and 2012 matches were not replacement games (in each of these seasons we played more than 11 games at the MCG) so the average draw for replacement games is 70,214

Clubs punt on the replacement games not providing a significant boost to attendances - as the club has to pay Collingwood a fee for the number of members that swipe their card and attend the replacement games

Aside from 2011 - when the public reserve unexpectantly sold out and people were turned back I don't think the replacement games have had much of an effect...otherwise Collingwood home games would have drawn significantly larger crowds than Hawthorn home games - ditto Carlton and Essendon games against Hawthorn at the MCG.

For Collingwood home games sure but not for Hawthorn home games:

Hawthorn home games (76,218, 78,202, 71,533, 70,516) (74,117 average)
Collingwood home games (67,668, 83,741, 83,714, 72,258, 48,940, 75,880) (72,048 average)

That said the 2010 and 2012 matches were not replacement games (in each of these seasons we played more than 11 games at the MCG) so the average draw for replacement games is 70,214

Clubs punt on the replacement games not providing a significant boost to attendances - as the club has to pay Collingwood a fee for the number of members that swipe their card and attend the replacement games

Aside from 2011 - when the public reserve unexpectantly sold out and people were turned back I don't think the replacement games have had much of an effect...otherwise Collingwood home games would have drawn significantly larger crowds than Hawthorn home games - ditto Carlton and Essendon games against Hawthorn at the MCG.

I think the issueof who is playing at home has almost no impact on how many turn up at Vic VS Vic games or if there is an impact it is minimal.

EG. Since 1997 Both Hawthorn and Richmond have higher home averages than away averages against Collingwood whereas both clubs have higher away than home averages against St. Kilda !!!! Now ask any fan and he would tell you the direct opposite.

Go figure as the yanks would say. Essentially all Melbourne clubs ground share two grounds near the city centre and if a fan wants to go the issue of who is at home is almost irrelevant.

Should be a bumper crowd of 14,000 in tassie this Sunday providing such great atmosphere. NOT. I'd actually look forward to watching it if it was at the G in front of 40,000 but will probably pump some weights instead

Surely it should go close to selling out?

Launceston is good for one big crowd a season and it's either this game or the Lions in round 22
In the past it seems Tasmanians have seemed to loathe 'being forced to watch Fremantle'. Will it be different now that they're top of the ladder?

In the past it seems Tasmanians have seemed to loathe 'being forced to watch Fremantle'. Will it be different now that they're top of the ladder?

The Launceston games have a rusted on 10k to 12k locals that turn up to all fixtures. The remainder is reliant on mainlanders travelling for the fixture

The concern in the past is that (understandably) Fremantle fans don't travel to Launceston in big numbers and the Victorian based Hawthorn supporters have been indifferent to the fixture (these are the fans that usually stand under the temp grandstands / in the standing room in the pocket)

That said this time around it is far and away the most attractive Launceston fixture for the season (compared to the Dogs, Suns and Lions) so hopefully it has a strong turnout...

Last year the GF replay drew 44,000 in Melbourne (and given it's 1st v 4th) the fixture should have interest for Hawthorn fans to travel across for the weekend

Plenty of those games have been Hawthorn Melbourne member replacement games, which gives an additional boost to crowds as both sets of members get to treat it like a 'home' game.
Well, kinda sorta.
GA long sold out Hawks have to pay to reserve a seat so not really like a home game.
The fact that we have been so dominant v Pies for 30 years helps form a Hawk POV.

Well, kinda sorta.
GA long sold out Hawks have to pay to reserve a seat so not really like a home game.
The fact that we have been so dominant v Pies for 30 years helps form a Hawk POV.

As above.

Haw V Coll home games have outdrawn equivalent Coll V Haw home games...which given that 4/6 Coll V Haw home games have been replacement games for Hawthorn members suggests that the replacement game boost is negligible at best

2015AFLcrowdsR14.png
The season average would be up 150 + more if the Adelaide game had gone ahead which you would have expected 45 - 50,000 to attend.

The Launceston games have a rusted on 10k to 12k locals that turn up to all fixtures. The remainder is reliant on mainlanders travelling for the fixture

The concern in the past is that (understandably) Fremantle fans don't travel to Launceston in big numbers and the Victorian based Hawthorn supporters have been indifferent to the fixture (these are the fans that usually stand under the temp grandstands / in the standing room in the pocket)

That said this time around it is far and away the most attractive Launceston fixture for the season (compared to the Dogs, Suns and Lions) so hopefully it has a strong turnout...

Last year the GF replay drew 44,000 in Melbourne (and given it's 1st v 4th) the fixture should have interest for Hawthorn fans to travel across for the weekend
I was intending to go until I have just seen the game is at 3:20. I can't believe it. It'll be dark and 8 degrees at 1/2 time. That's unbelievably stupid. Just why? I'm not sure now.

This is really frustrating. Why would you schedule a game half-way to Antarctica at 3:20pm in the middle of winter? I've been to plenty of 1:10pm games before in the heights of winter which work well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would Carlton fans go?

meaningless game for them with a likely defeat to an ancient rival. Given the poor weather forecast it'll be no more than 55,000.

Same reason why Essendon fans went to our game against them a fortnight ago?

Carlton has been drawing very reasonable crowds in recent weeks...

27,000 against Port Adelaide, 30,000 against Gold Coast and 32,000 against the W Bulldogs.

Anywhere from 50,000 to mid 60,000's wouldn't surprise...

You would imagine that it would pull a similar number to the Hawks v Dons game a few weeks ago

Early 60,000's could be the go

No chance. Dons were not completely cooked a few weeks back. Carlton have been roasted and served. Season well and truly over and done with. As so often in recent years I'm afraid the fixture is one again relying on a big turnout from the Yellow and Black Army.

Will be interesting to see how many pies fans in the crowd tonight. The tigerair flight ths afternoon looked like a Collingwood chartered flight and plenty of them around Adelaide in the afternoon.
Good effort for a Thursday! (In b4 standard Collingwood jokes - Pies fans don't have jobs and spending all their centrelink money on flights etc lol)

We'l it will be a weekend of bad crowds in Melb it would seem. Rain and hail Sat / Sun. Hardy souls at the MCG with a largely closed car park and the Bombers signalling a youth policy and looking to the future. Year officially over.

30,000 is realistic if the weather turns out as predicted.

Elsewhere, I think 55,000 is about expected for the Tigers V Blues.

What a shame Hawks V Dockers in Tas. Talk about buzz kill!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back