Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does he get booed more by Hawthorn and West Coast fans ?

Are people suggesting those two sides have more racist supporters than other teams ?

Adam has been target by racist supporters because he has been outspoken on indigenous issues. That's why people are booing. They cannot handle an Indigenous man who is not afraid to speak up.

There are players accused of rape, and others with assault convictions that get a better reception than Adam. Why aren't they getting boo-ed?

You said that Indiginous people shouldn't have to watch their people get boo'ed everytime they go near the ball. Apart from Goodes, they don't. Your post was giving the impression that all indiginous players get boo'ed which isn't true.

I can't tell you why people don't boo those players like they boo Goodes because I don't know their reasonings which is actually quite funny when considering people are happy to tell me I'm a racist because I dislike Goodes.

The whole boo in defiance thing. It's something I don't understand. It's like saying I put all my beliefs and feelings into a boo and if someone says I can't do it it's like my whole reason for living has been restricted. Footy is not that important.

Haven't you ever done something purely because some twat said you couldn't? That booing is a pretty silly thing to do is even more reason to do it if some self righteous git says not to.

WTF? You nimrod, I don't boo Goodes, never have, probably never will, although now I am sorely tempted to. It is squealing biatches like you that inflame the whole racist thing, firstly by accusing all those of booing as being racist and now by accusing people of booing Goodes when they haven't.

Firstly I'm offended by being labelled a redneck, secondly by being called a sook by a whiney sqealer who doesn't even bother looking for context when quoting.
Yeah fair cop. I've seen many people use the Gibson incident as justification for booing Goodes so I just used your post as a launching pad. I probably should have taken the context into account.

Didn't mean "you" specifically. Was meant to be a more general comment but I worded it poorly.

Of course. Williams was not just a bloody good player, he was a prick.

But there isn't a clear defining line as to whether you're allowed to be booed. Goodes has decided to enter the political arena, which surely he would know is going to piss some people off (particulary given he's made statements that are at least controversial). Are people allowed to disagree with him? Are people allowed to say 'screw you Gillon, you're not going to tell me I can't boo a particular player' and boo him then? How much staging does he need to do before it's OK to boo him? How many tribunal appearances?

If you're going to say stop booing, then you can't single Goodes out. If you do then it's only going to encourage people to boo him.
Yep but so what if he has entered the 'political arena'? If a 12 year old girl is calling an indigenous Australian an ape, then perhaps we have issues that need addressing?

It has racist undertones ...are the people racist .....no ...maybe the odd few after beers which can disinhibit people

But you'll will just generalise and put everyone in the same basket because of some of the boo'ers have racial undertones? You hypocrite.

Last edited:
Why does he get booed more by Hawthorn and West Coast fans ?

Are people suggesting those two sides have more racist supporters than other teams ?
Well yes they are. Because "Hawthorn's supporter base has many fans from the upper middle classes, good boys and girls from private schools and with good bank accounts. Sometimes, with class goes conservatism".

Yep but so what if he has entered the 'political arena'? If a 12 year old girl is calling an indigenous Australian an ape, then perhaps we have issues that need addressing?

I wasn't referring to that incident.

In any case, it's not up to you to tell people whether they have to agree or disagree with any particular political statement. The Prime Minister has been roundly booed at most public appearances ever since I can remember. Australians, for some reason, don't particularly like politics and politicians.

Boo him in the knowledge that you are creating a division between indigenous and non-indigenous Australians....inclusive of your own clubs indigenous players.

It's fine to say I'm doing it because he's a knob, however you know it is now being interpreted as having other intent.

So you go ahead and preserve your right to boo him, but you can not pretend there is no racial undertone now .... mean it or not that's the interpretation that is being attached by nearly every Aboriginal and a very large numbers of other Aussies.

Or alternatively you could just cut that weak s**t out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes because I talked to them ...I work with them also ....

I'm a drug and alcohol counsellor and I see racism all day ....I've even been abused for helping them when I sit in parks helping kids addicted to sniffing fuel.

So maybe just get out of your little white picket fence house and have a look ...

I have studied in the area also. I have 15 years experience working with aboriginal people from homeless shelters to drug and alcohol counselling. I coached an aboriginal basketball team and work closely with Clontarf in wa to help support young aboriginal males

I go on camps with David wirrpanda foundation youth and help counsel them

.....do I need to go ?

I have pretty sound knowledge of their culture and the effect it would be having on him.

You have no idea what it's like to be abused because if the colour of your skin and deep that cuts someone and you probably will never know.

I understand that but I still believe the majority where not booing Goodes due to racism.

Just because Goodes runs into to quite a few racist dickheads, and there are plenty about a few booers where definitely racist no doubt , I suspect the majority are not booing Goodes on racist grounds.

The fact Goodes does not play for a team run by the people highlights the fact he is probably not as connected with the average masses as most should be and grounded with the average joe supporter.

I must admit if I was to do with the Swans I would struggle to reconcile that world with main street

I,won't .....I make up for all racists

Don't you think that as a non indigenous person that it is a bit disrespectful you using the aboriginal flag as your avatar?

Edit: Hardhat11 changed his avatar from just the A&TSI flag to both Aussie flags after this post. I say good on him.

Oh and by the way, the reason I don't like Goodes is because of his agenda with constitutional change. I believe what he wants is the most divisive racist thing that cold ever happen to our constitution and totally contrary to what he said in his AOTY acceptance speech..... And to just renter page, I don't boo him, I don't boo at all, I just don't like him just like I recon you don't like Tony Abbott. Is that Ok with you?

Last edited:
This thread makes my brain hurt.

Goodes wasn't booed on a mass scale after he did something dirty or got suspended. Goodes wasn't booed after a run of dubious free kicks. Goodes wasn't booed after his brownlow win. Can we dispense with the ducking and weaving and at least agree that there are a few clear incidents that kicked the whole thing off?

Goodes was booed after being racially abused by a young girl, and subsequently, after years of work with the indigenous communities around Australia, winning the Australian of the Year award and opening up some very serious, yet uncomfortable conversations about race.

People have this moronic idea that racism is about wearing the Australian flag as a cape and screaming "**** the abos!" It's a lot more subtle than that, it's systemic, it's ingrained in our culture. No one, including Goodes, is saying that any individual or collective needs to feel 'guilt' or 'shame' for past atrocities perpetuated against aboriginal Australians. What Goodes and others are doing is trying to get people to recognise that most people living in this country indirectly benefit from the theft, rape and massacre of an entire group of people. This has lasting impacts and the wounds are still fresh. Aboriginals still weren't counted as people in the census less than 50 years ago. I still find it hard to wrap my head around that. Indigenous heads were sent back on ships to England. Tasmanian aboriginal people were wiped off the face of the planet.

None of this implies any sort of culpability for any one white Australian, including myself. It's not my fault that I benefit from the past slaughtering of indigenous people and I'm not going to apologise to anyone for it. But I DO. And that's the important thing. That's the conversation Goodes was trying to have. Realising that maybe young Travis being in jail or having too much drink isn't just a result of loose morals or poor character, but at least partly because of systemic injustices past and present that put him in a position that you couldn't possibly pretend to fully empathise with.

Unfortunately a large proportion of the Australian population wasn't mature or intelligent enough to have this conversation. They heard terms like 'genocide', 'theft', 'invasion' and 'race problems' and quickly jumped on the defensive. They couldn't spurt out 'but I don't hate aboriginals' quick enough. And unfortunately, this is how real racism is perpetuated. Not because your old fashioned uncle (believe me, I have several) openly said 'you can't trust them' but through the failure of everyday Australians to recognise and own the role they inadvertently play in systemic injustice. So then Goodes is a 'flog', a 'grandstander', 'divisive' and other such nonsense.

This is the reason Goodes was initially booed. Maybe a tiny percentage of Hawthorn supporters (and now seemingly every other club's supporters) that booed him are openly distrusting and resentful towards aboriginal Australians. But mainly because they couldn't handle or understand a conversation that while uncomfortable for them, is a tragic and real necessity for someone like Goodes. Then tribalism kicked in people started booing him because everyone else was and retrospectively performed mental gymnastics to come up with reasons why they did join in.

Like other people have said, the booing stemmed from racial elements, still has a dark racial undertone and is deeply upsetting for the indigenous AFL community as well as Goodes and his family. Initially I'm willing to give many a free pass for getting caught up in the tribalism. That's a lot of what footy is about. But at this point, if you join in, you're overtly racist, subtly racist, or just not very bright. The latter contingent probably constitutes the majority, but why would you even want to be associated with it at this point?
you've got it a bit twisted there. i'm perfectly comfortable with a mature conversation about the systemic issues impacting indigenous australia and agree that it's a conversation that needs to be had.

however kick starting that conversation by way of sacrificing a 13 year old girl on the altar of social media condemnation and having her frog-marched out the MCG is the act of a flog - pure and simple - no 'mental gymnastics' required. that he (a man twenty years her senior fwiw) admitted no error on his part and instead somehow rode it into AOTY, just rubs me the wrong way. if that's what it takes to 'open up' that conversation, idk maybe i'm just not enough of a 'ends justify the means' kinda guy?

above said, the booing is obviously multi-faceted but universally pretty dumb at this point. he obviously does a shittonne of great, positive work in the community which should count for something? right?

60920560.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back