Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other main thing is the aggressive running war dance to the crowd by Goodes and Jetta.

I would not underplay this catalyst!

Could you blame him after he's made some of the most reasonable, measured comments about race and still is painted as the biggest villain in the AFL? I mean we've just had a couple of pages of people having absolutely zero idea what he actually said after Indigenous Round 2014 or his AOTY speech, and instead relied purely on selective hearsay to call him a whinger/flog/sook. Could you blame him?

"It was divisive" they say! But he's made some of the least divisive comments possible and people still had their heads in the sand.

Sorry I don't get your point.

But to say that Goodes is responsible for the latest media frenzy is totally wrong & to say that he has brought the game into disrepute is laughable ( which is what I was commenting on).

What is laughable is boo-ing being labelled racist

Yes he is responsible because he is a sook

I boo Selwood big time, I don't boo Goodes at all. I actually have respect for Selwood, I actually have no respect for Goodes. I am just a human with feelings and rights and as an Australian from a mixed background I love nothing more than being Australian because it gives me this right to feel and say what I want (as long as it is not racist, sexist or anti religious).

Yeah fair enough. Yet, you have absolutely no respect for him in regards to what he does outside of football?

Classy, getting stuck into the mother of the child on a public forum

But cry like a little bitch when someone dares to Boo Goodes at a game of footy.

lol yeah I'm really doing that

Boo him all you like, racist or not, be blatantly racist and don't boo Adam Goodes, whatever man

Yes, there is no racist element to the boo-ing. How much do the other indigenous get boo'd? Do they carry on like this fake Australian of the Year?
How many other indigenous players are as vocal and as big an activist for human rights issues as he is?
That's right - none.
Most of them are seen and not heard - as they have learned to do from a young age - lest they face persecution.

How many other indigenous players are as vocal and as big an activist for human rights issues as he is?
That's right - none.
Most of them are seen and not heard - as they have learned to do from a young age - lest they face persecution.

That is even more laughable than people thinking boo-ing has anything to do with racism.

I'm sorry, are you saying it's his fault that people wilfully cherry pick his statements to deliberately claim he said precisely the opposite of what he actually said? A la how Andrew Bolt put it today - Goodes is different and not just because he then made things worse by waving an imaginary spear at white spectators or peddling a vicious version of our history as Australian of the Year

Where the holy hell does Bolt get that from? It is a complete fiction. And why does this thread contain poster after poster endlessly repeating the same lies? Do they just buy whatever they are told without ever bothering to check the source information?

And this is Goodes' fault??? Methinks he could have used the most obsequious, conciliatory and kow towing language possible and still there would be arsewipes with an agenda like Bolt picking and choosing his words to make out he said something completely different.
What is really scary is that there are people out there who actually read, digest, believe and - worst of all - form their opinions based on what someone like Andrew Bolt writes.

The bolded is just a lie on his part. And we have people here repeatedly referring to the AOTY speech by Goodes as some sort of negative against him. What a coincidence.

I think the primary reason that Adam Goodes gets booed so much is that he stands up for what he believes in, and challenges the beliefs of the majority. Throughout history these types of people have always been disliked by the ignorant masses.

You're pretty on point for an idiot.

There is so much of this going on, why are they wilfully ignoring it is the interesting question.

"Belief disconfirmation paradigm

Dissonance is felt when people are confronted with information that is inconsistent with their beliefs. If the dissonance is not reduced by changing one's belief, the dissonance can result in restoring consonance through misperception, rejection or refutation of the information, seeking support from others who share the beliefs, and attempting to persuade others."
This Board is a classic example of belief disconfirmation reinforcement.

This thread is now a kind of zero-sum game and to comment in good faith is a bit like dangling a rope down into a vipers' nest - sooner or later one will slither up the rope and bite you on the wrist.

But with that risk in mind, my comment is that had the war dance /mock spear throwing schtick, which is a factor in this whole thing, been performed in the NFL then both Goodes and Jetta would have been sanctioned by the NFL. No question. And had the AFL done likewise it arguably would have acted as a circuit breaker, and the news cycle would likely have died. Notwithstanding the 13 year-old girl prior incident.

The debate has now become highjacked by the race issue and is highly polarized, as evident by Joe Public's comments here and elsewhere in the electronic media. Unfortunately this clouds the discussion. It it should not be a zero-sum game (but activists on both sides like a black and white scenario as it is too hard to deal with nuances).

It is possible to be sympathetic to the plight of the indigenous folk whilst at the same time concerned about the right to discuss double standards and the right to boo at sporting events. But these concerns are now being labelled as racist and swept under the PC carpet in an attempt to close out the discussion. This is not surprisingly resented by a significant number of folk, as evident by the many on-line comments by Joe Public right across the Oz electronic media, including Big Footy.

It may be that with the benefit of hindsight all relevant parties might have done things a bit differently, and it would be a shame if these events influenced a premature retirement of Goodes - but anyone familiar with crowd psychology would not be surprised if the fans boo'd even harder from now on. And if so, and if I were a betting man, then I would place a dollar on the those offended seeking to introduce some kind of legislation to cure this ill. A lawyer's paradise.

One thing for sure is that the AFL hierarchy has got a tiger by the tail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Warne is on board!

Eddie McGuire
Miranda Devine
Barry Hall
Alan Jones
Rita Panahi
Andrew Bolt
Shane Warne

Couldn't have planned it any better.

Slowly the ones who think for themselves will come out, We'll just be left with the sheep that follow what the AFL and the Media are pedaling

Yes, there is no racist element to the boo-ing. How much do the other indigenous get boo'd? Do they carry on like this fake Australian of the Year?

Maybe because they're quiet about Australia's shitty history? Maybe many Australians don't like to hear things they don't want to hear.

I love this thread. Grown men quivering like children.

Geese and ganders ...

It was a negative reaction to a negative action

Goodes will have the last laugh ....retire citing mental anguish , sue everyone's arse off, blame racism for ending his career and join the Greens or look for a captains pick bang into the Senate .....

I have already said that I will happily meet with him face to face eye to eye and tell him (and the concerned media who can film said meeting) and explain to him why I and many others boo him (purely his actions on football field).

No, you wouldn't.

Or grown men having a cry over a boo?

This old chestnut , hey. I guess not everyone is as manly as you. Im willing to bet however that if anyone turned up at your workplace and booed you every move and constantly yelled abuse that you would want to smash them. I'm tipping your a real chest thumper.

Now I. Waiting for the predictable , well I don't get paid 500k a year to play the game I love response.

This old chestnut , hey. I guess not everyone is as manly as you. Im willing to bet however that if anyone turned up at your workplace and booed you every move and constantly yelled abuse that you would want to smash them. I'm tipping your a real chest thumper.

Now I. Waiting for the predictable , well I don't get paid 500k a year to play the game I love response.

Again, what about every other player indigenous and non indigenous that has been boo'd, you ever see them carry on like this?

Slowly the ones who think for themselves will come out, We'll just be left with the sheep that follow what the AFL and the Media are pedaling

Ironic you saying anyone who finds the booing distasteful is a "sheep" while defending the complete herd mentality that leads to the booing. And seriously, look at that list of people: Bolt, Jones, Warne, Akermanis, Devine... if I were on the same side of an argument as them I'd near neck myself.

It's OK to agree with them they're right.

Don't worry there is still COLA, Eddie and shitty umpiring to nail them on.

I'll treat your comment with the distain it deserves:cool:

Don't worry, Eddie and the AFL have fixed the COLA side of things (and the academies, which you forgot to mention), you won't have to worry about complaining about them anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back