Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've lost me, it was directed at them. Unless you don't understand the difference between
untoward and toward. One is about direction.

He expected the Carlton supporters, to go, thanks for that Adam, impressive now back on with the game. Go Blues!

It was a boomerang, fk me educate yourself about the topic.

I'm going to feel dirty driving my forester home tonight....

No.
It was directed to them yet it was not meant to antagonise, and he expected Carlton supporters to appreciate it ?
It was a boomerang now ?
If it was such a non pre-meditated plan and not meant to offend , why wasn't it a celebration directed at his own supporters?

I am frankly astounded you are old enough to drive your forester home.

No it doesn't make you a racist.

But it makes you an idiot for going to a concert where you know that is going to happen. Don't like Bono's activism, don't go to their concerts.

Actually it was a long time ago and I had no idea at the time it would happen and i was pi**ed off when it did, I wouldn't ever go to another one for that reason, not because I don't care about global issues, I just didn't like the time and place, same as I don't want to see activism on the footy field.

Churn out all the theories you want, I'm still not a racist for booing.

Ignoring the other anecdotal crap (I'm sure, and I bet I'm guessing correctly here, you are someone who knows next to nothing about Indigenous culture, and knows few Indigenous people. Im not surprised you have rare experiences of racism towards Indigenous people... Who would have thought it?!)...

You arent going to respond to me with an argument? Can't explain why? You are pathetic. It isn't a theory. It is a straightforward argument, and one you will need to reply to if you are to justify your position (FWIW I think that you are a racist if you boo one more time). Let me restate:

You should concern yourself with the motivations of others if you, through your own free actions, support what they are doing. You don't live in a bloody vacuum and need to take some responsibility for what you do. If what you do furthers what racists do, and you know that, you are volitionally giving your voice to theirs and are supporting what they are doing. You are responsible for that.

Last edited:
No-one is going to win from this. Unfortunately Goodes can probably blame the media for beating up a completely rubbish story over the course of the year. Goodes won't be able to take the field again without everyone in the media commenting on the booing or lack of booing. Goodes didn't help his cause with his spear throwing dance, by all means do that the other players or to no-one in particular. Do it to a segment of opposing crowd and you're stupid if you expect it's going to result in anything other than boos from that part of the crowd. Just if Hodgey goes up to the Tigers cheer squad tonight and fires an imaginary shotgun at them Williams-style after he kicks a goal , he's going to get booed by them every time he touches the ball for the rest of the game.

I think I've said before, I think the booing of Goodes is almost the opposite of racism. People are comfortable to boo "white" players because it's perceived as they don't like the player. As soon as it's a "non-white" player it's called racist by the media. The fact that crowds are comfortable enough to boo Goodes, especially after the media beat-up already this season, shows have far society has come that race isn't an issue. The problem is the media are looking for a story and I'm not sure this is actually doing anything to promote awareness of racism, it's just promoting that some people you can't criticise like you can others because they happen to be indigenous/muslim/irish/fijian/canadian.

Selective memory. He actually said that he wanted her to be supported, and that he didn't blame her, or something like that.

I think what's 1000 times more important is that that girl, and others like her, learn that you can't call an indigenous person an "ape" in public without expecting justified backlash.

That's your view, but the point is that many, many people see it differently. So his actions have ultimately been devisive.

Please show me where he has demonstrated bitterness towards the white man?
Have u read what he has actually stated over the last few years.
Couldn't give a stuff about the guy from Subi. The reality is, I've been to hundreds of football games, and not once have I seen a sign of racism. I'd rather trust my own experiences than whatever bullshit gets spouted in this thread.

Churn out all the theories you want, I'm still not a racist for booing.

Problem with this thread is that most dont seem to realise what rascism entails

Just so I get this right, according to Jetta and Goodes being a warrior for your nation (note this is misnomer, he actually claiming to be a race warrior) is fine when you are black. However facts are, try being a warrior for the white nation and you are in big trouble.

I am all for indigenous players doing war dances towards their opponents when ever they like, just don't direct them towards the crowd.

This aside, the AFL has a lot to answer for in this mess as it has remained silent as knobs like Garry Lyon, Brereton etc have come out acknowledged racist behaviour in the 90's that would have made a white country footballer from the same era blush.

Notwithstanding the apologies, did the AFL come out and say we don't want people like this as part of the game?

Then Eddie following on from one his clubs previous Presidents', makes a crack about Goodes being in King Kong, receives a bit of AFL based condemnation. But did he receive any actual sanctions?

AFL stays relatively silent on booing until after the WC match. AFL proactive in this addressing this matter?

The big fat answer to the above is boo hurns.

AFL hierarchy as always, is a reactionary boys club. Shame.

Ignoring the other anecdotal crap...

You arent going to respond to me with an argument? Can't explain why? You are pathetic. It isn't a theory. It is a straightforward argument, and one you will need to reply to if you are to justify your position (FWIW I think that you are a racist if you boo one more time). Let me restate:

You should concern yourself with the motivations of others if you, through your own free actions, support what they are doing. You don't live in a bloody vacuum and need to take some responsibility for what you do. If what you do furthers what racists do, and you know that, you are volitionally giving your voice to theirs and are supporting what they are doing. You are responsible for that.
To whom would you delegate the task of deciding for you what you could hear? To whom would you give the job of deciding for you? Relieve you of the responsibility of hearing what you might have to hear? Do you know anyone, hands up do you know anyone to whom you'd give this job? Does anyone have a nominee?

It'd be interesting to have a poll indicating what percentage of the people pontificating here have actually spent any time in an outback or remote region actually interacting with Aborigines.

And how many are articulating their opinion on how the world should be from the safety of their suburban McMansion or inner-city apartment who might have seen an aboriginal a couple times on TV - other than maybe the occasional Aboriginal sportsperson but never in real life?

Been the only white man in a park talking with 40 Aborigines desperately waiting for the local pub to open in the mid-morning?

Lived with an Aborigine family?

Seen and experienced racism or abuse or violence the other way FROM Aborigines?

What about the domestic violence and sexual abuse and crime inflicted by Aboriginals on each other?

Had your ethnic continental European surname mocked while you are standing in a roomful of aboriginals in an Aboriginal welfare organisation office across the road from the local Magistrates Court on Court day when a lot of aboriginals are having court cases heard?

Hear other whites who are a minority in the town or region expressing their fears and experiences of being a minority?

Being shown the houses of whites that have been burnt down by Aborigines who took a dislike to them so they torched the house.

Being shown recently built government Aboriginal housing that within weeks and months of completion has most windows broken and doors off the hinges as they've been broken up so that a camp fire could be lit in the centre of the lounge room.

Seen first hand the rubbish and filth that gets left lying around the local aboriginal houses and settlement because no-one - not the inhabitants, not the local council, not the local community, and certainly not the local Aboriginal body funded from Canberra takes any interest in stopping the daily defiling of the very Land they proclaim as held sacred.

These are broken and dysfunctional families and communities. They need help. But more importantly they also need to learn to help themselves - for recovery of their self-esteem and spirit.

Now tell me again how Adam Goodes 'war dance' addresses and rectifies even one of the above problems even fleetingly, let alone in a meaningful or lasting way?

Ignoring the other anecdotal crap...

Don't waste your breath with him. He is either incapable or unable to mount any counter argument, reasonable or other.

Apparently "he" will decide if he's racist or not. Laughable and a typical argument of a racist.

No.
It was directed to them yet it was not meant to antagonise, and he expected Carlton supporters to appreciate it ?
It was a boomerang now ?
If it was such a non pre-meditated plan and not meant to offend , why wasn't it a celebration directed at his own supporters?

I am frankly astounded you are old enough to drive your forester home.

I can't sit here all day at work holding your hand. Please go research.

It was a boomerang,

He also stated he had a dance for the swans fans if he scored down that end.

Regardless of if you think the booing is racist or not...

Hasn't it gone on for too long? Now we know Adam himself has taken offence, isn't it common decency that it ceases?

What more do you have to prove?

The problem is two overlapping issues. One is that Goodes is struggling with the boos - I'd hope most decent people would give the guy a break now. The other is that whole sections of the community are unfairly being labelled racists and bullies. That will only die down when people stop throwing around these accusations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagreeing with what Goodes' says about Aboriginal affairs is not racist. it's a difference of political views. And some Aborigines disagree totally with Goodes on these matters. But I think some people resent Goodes for bringing this onto the football field and they might be booing him for that. That's not racist either. I don't agree with Sam Newman very often but he got it right on The Footy Show last night.

The racists have not 'taken the booing and run with it' because as you say only a very small minority of people are booing for racist reasons. One person was ejected from the West Coast game for racist comments. That was appropriate.

I never said disagreeing with Goodes politically was racist, just that there was an element of the crowd who boo him because he is an aboriginal activist and they don't like aboriginals. It's definitely not the majority of the crowd, or even the majority of the people that disagree with him politically, but they do exist.

There are perfectly valid reasons why some people are booing Goodes and you are entitled to express your opinion of him. But I wasn't just saying that the racists have taken the issue and run with it because one west coast fan got kicked out. Since this broke, particularly on facebook, I have noticed that there have been a greater number of people say some pretty gross stuff about aboriginals whereas normally I think they would be too scared to or wouldn't feel like they had support. I have seen so much more anti aboriginal stuff on my facebook this week than I would normally. Now they all seem to feel like most people agree with them, which I don't think is the case, but the fact that they feel like this means that we should bloody well stop making them feel comfortable with their racism.

This isn't about whether you like or agree with Adam Goodes. Noone is saying you should like or agree with him (well, some people are but I don't agree with them and I think they're making the issue worse). But the issue has brought out some pretty disgusting racists that I think should be put back in their box.

Last edited:
To whom would you delegate the task of deciding for you what you could hear? To whom would you give the job of deciding for you? Relieve you of the responsibility of hearing what you might have to hear? Do you know anyone, hands up do you know anyone to whom you'd give this job? Does anyone have a nominee?

Completely incoherent.

If you wish to engage with me I suggest you consider editing and clarifying your point.

Have u read what he has actually stated over the last few years.

Problem with this thread is that most dont seem to realise what rascism entails
Have you read what he has stated over the last few years? He stands up for racial issues and people don't like that

Let us break this down for you:

A.
- Goodes was called an ape and snapped as in didn't like it and wanted to point out to security. Realised it was a young girl after he turned around but continued to proceed
- Goodes used it as an opportunity to educate people about the situation
- Goodes and this girl met and she apoligised, yes it was all over the media and that was unfortunate for her.
- Goodes DID NOT grill her or press charges instead said this about her, that she is innocent, etc http://cdndata.bigfooty.com/2015/07/157128_08ae4977fc204a2837438f90bafbc830.jpg THERE IS NOTHING CONDEMNING HER.
- People try to excuse the situation by mentioning it's just a poor 13 year old girl who didn't know better and paint her has victim. BUT HELLO THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT GOODES IS TRYING TO MAKE HOLY **** --- so that in the future hopefully more parents and kids DO KNOW BETTER!!!

B.
- Goodes did a tribal war dance to represent the under 16s on indigenous round after kicking a goal
- If you are doing a tribal type of warrior dance obviously it would look somewhat intimidating not like a funny/light-hearted dance celebration
- Carlton crowd booed more fair enough
- Media blew it up as something more strange, sinister, provocative
- Goodes explained himself that it was what it was, nothing provocative, that it was premeditated and a means of representation/pride which he was going to use in the indigenous all stars game but couldn't because he didn't play
- People booed Goodes more every touch every week, WCE fans boo the loudest
- Jetta joins in to show solidarity
- Goodes and club make it known that they believe there is racist elements in booing because it intensified due to the above racial incident(s)
- AFL and leaders of other clubs show solidarity

C.
- After all this has come out if you continue to boo Goodes what you're essentially doing is supporting the racists.
- You are impacting on the mental health of a person and by extension aggrieving those that support him through a tricky political/social background
- Attempting to justify booing him form now on is moronic.

Regardless of if you think the booing is racist or not...

Hasn't it gone on for too long? Now we know Adam himself has taken offence, isn't it common decency that it ceases?

What more do you have to prove?

that there's only one person in the world that tells me what to do and that's my mother

Why do you keep asking inane questions?
You clearly don't give a rats what the answer is you will boo anyway.
Just as you want to assert your right to boo, others can assert their right to call you a racist for booing.
Simple isn't it.

Last edited:
The problem is two overlapping issues. One is that Goodes is struggling with the boos - I'd hope most decent people would give the guy a break now. The other is that whole sections of the community are unfairly being labelled racists and bullies. That will only die down when people stop throwing around these accusations.

If someone still continues to boo, after it's been well documented that Adam and his family have been negatively effected. They're nothing but mean spirited bullies.

The only mistake he made there was not wording it in a way that couldn't be misinterpreted by you and other simpletons.

You don't come up with a statement like that off the cuff.
He had all night to think about it .....I can imagine he practised it in front of the mirror.

So Carlton fans misinterprated the "war cry" too did they - which apparently is depicting a boomerang and not a spear. O'rly (reminds me of a line from The Untouchables movie)

Maybe Adam misinterprated the boos.

You'd have to be a ******* moron if that war dance insulted you

Well, they are... ah. Never mind. I'll discuss it rationally with them on Saturday night - I'm sure they'll take it well.

P.S. If you never hear from me again, know that I died doing what I loved - pointing out to Carlton fans how superior I am in every possible way.

No it doesn't make you a racist.

But it makes you an idiot for going to a concert where you know that is going to happen. Don't like Bono's activism, don't go to their concerts.

Who the * likes Bono though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back