Matthew Scharenberg

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will re-sign soon now, was always just waiting for his first crack at the seniors to raise his value that little bit, and pretty sure he'll play a few more games yet, especially if Goldy is out for a while.

He didn't look any worse then he had at VFL level, named in the best players in the Herald Sun, which says more about the rest of the players then his performance I reckon.

Can only improve from here.

He will re-sign soon now, was always just waiting for his first crack at the seniors to raise his value that little bit, and pretty sure he'll play a few more games yet, especially if Goldy is out for a while.

He didn't look any worse then he had at VFL level, named in the best players in the Herald Sun, which says more about the rest of the players then his performance I reckon.

Can only improve from here.
Yeah the positive is that the step up didn't phase him.

Means we can persist with him because he is clearly ready for this level.

The negative is that his shortcomings were the same as well.

I strongly believe though that his current deficiencies are fully attributable to his 2 major injuries. They have sapped his pace and confidence on his body. But he will get it back

So you're saying we should tank Dave?
You're doing it wrong BJ.

To Dave :

"So you are saying that we are s**t, will pick up next years wooden spoon, will have all our players wanting to leave and none wanting to come and think we should tank?" :p

TradeDraft , this is a pretty lame joke and not meant to cause any harm or friction.:thumbsu: I think you posting to extremes on occasions is humorous.

You're doing it wrong BJ.

To Dave :

"So you are saying that we are s**t, will pick up next years wooden spoon, will have all our players wanting to leave and none wanting to come and think we should tank?" :p

TradeDraft , this is a pretty lame joke and not meant to cause any harm or friction.:thumbsu: I think you posting to extremes on occasions is humorous.
Agreed, Dave is a good poster.
However, his posting style at times is 'interesting'

Apparently he is not going anywhere, from a reliable poster.

http://www.voy.com/51976/317502.html

Fwiw he is a club scout.

And for Scout to say that is pretty reassuring because he doesn't post on there very often anymore.

Best news of the weekend. ~The Scout~ Just posts a lot of factual stuff. Quality poster who got turned off by some arm chair critics of our recruiting.

If he says he's going nowhere, I'm no longer concerned. Happy Days.

On Shazza, and for those that have had a knee reco, it takes a year to get confidence back in you knee after basically learning to run again. It's such a weird feeling. 2nd year is when you feel comfortable again with your knee.

Shazza is 11 months from his reco, had no pre-seasons or decent conditioning for a few years and makes his AFL debut and didn't look out of place, IMO. They are some massive hurdles for a 1st gamer to overcome, no matter how highly rated they are as a draftee.

Play him for the rest of the year, no matter what. Get a full pre-season into him. Have him form some cohesion with his fellow backmen. That back 6 need to be tight. He's the future and he's going to be a very, very good footballer.

Pretty pumped with this news.

Last edited:
Every other first up player has been subbed out at three quarter time by Buckley until yesterday. Scharenberg had about four different opponents including Watts which shows you the faith that Buckley had in Scharenberg's performance. There was nothing wrong with his kicking. For a first up player his decision making was that of a seasoned player. Tough gig when your first game is in a losing side. Forget the SC points. That was one of the most impressive debuts for a player in recent memory.
We subbed out Maynard and Moore against the Hawks? No wonder we ran out of puff with 5 mins left

actually i said that he was a conservative pick.... meaning that i thought he was a conservative pick. If I thought he was an average player, I would have said that. Also I didnt say that I wanted some moron to interpret what I wrote. If I wanted that, I would have contacted you directly. As for you being done, I don't think anyone is going to mourn the loss of your wisdom.
Being conservative would have been taking Aish instead of an injured player who could possibly have ongoing issues. As it is the club took the risk on him because they felt he had the scope to become great. Not sure how that could be classed as a conservative pick.

Being conservative would have been taking Aish instead of an injured player who could possibly have ongoing issues. As it is the club took the risk on him because they felt he had the scope to become great. Not sure how that could be classed as a conservative pick.

You make a good point, but his draft resume reads like a safe ball handler...
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-20/one-day-to-the-draft-meet-matt-scharenberg

He might become a little more dynamic when he gets his confidence back in his leg and his position in the team. I still think that degoey, greenwood, adams etc have a common theme. I like the hard-nosed bit but sometimes games require a bit of flair a la elliott.

You make a good point, but his draft resume reads like a safe ball handler...
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-20/one-day-to-the-draft-meet-matt-scharenberg

He might become a little more dynamic when he gets his confidence back in his leg and his position in the team. I still think that degoey, greenwood, adams etc have a common theme. I like the hard-nosed bit but sometimes games require a bit of flair a la elliott.
Hine stated from word go that they wanted to put Berg through the midfield eventually. He has the same ability to find time and space with the ball in hand as Pendlebury, albeit not to the time stopping extreme of the great man. If he can turn in to a Pendlebury-lite I certainly won't be complaining.

Hine stated from word go that they wanted to put Berg through the midfield eventually. He has the same ability to find time and space with the ball in hand as Pendlebury, albeit not to the time stopping extreme of the great man. If he can turn in to a Pendlebury-lite I certainly won't be complaining.

well that might be true. he might be a sam mitchell - who isnt explosive. I said earlier to some kid who got upset by my post, that i wasnt calling him an average player. Unfortunately, this guy had limited comprehension skills so he couldnt understand my point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't think much of his kicking yesterday I have not seen much of him how do people rate it

Actually thought his kicking was a little off myself BEEG but I think that's just adjusting to the tempo of the game and the added pressure. As others have mentioned, once he realises how much time he has, the sharpness will start to show.

Just really happy to see him debut and have a positive impact on a rather negative day.

You only need to look at a guy like Stringer to see how long it takes a player to get back to their best-and he hasn't even reached his peak by any means.

I have a huge amount of faith that he will be what we need. And who said you need blistering pace to be a good defender? You just need to be smart. Look at Enright. Not dangerfield fast but the best medium defender in the comp for the last 10 years

well that might be true. he might be a sam mitchell - who isnt explosive. I said earlier to some kid who got upset by my post, that i wasnt calling him an average player. Unfortunately, this guy had limited comprehension skills so he couldnt understand my point.
Sometimes it can be hard to tell whether you're being serious or not though, so I can understand when people might skip over the point and go straight for the jugular :D

I reckon it may have been 12 months ago I said our CHB line would be
Langdon, Marsh, Scharenberg

Scharenberg you could say was always going to be apart of that line, Langdon at the time looked like a 100 gamer, and now its up Marsh, I see a bit of Alex Rance in the boy.

I reckon it may have been 12 months ago I said our CHB line would be
Langdon, Marsh, Scharenberg

Scharenberg you could say was always going to be apart of that line, Langdon at the time looked like a 100 gamer, and now its up Marsh, I see a bit of Alex Rance in the boy.
Rance? Lets not get crazy. I would have thought he'd turn into Toovey that actually uses his pace

Rance? Lets not get crazy. I would have thought he'd turn into Toovey that actually uses his pace
Not saying hes going to be as good as Rance, thats pushing it for someone who hasnt debuted yet.

Just see similar attributes, similar heights, Marsh is a peel off key defender who should base his game off Alex Rance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back