Matthew Scharenberg

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all those people that said he wasn't ready well he proved you all wrong.

Must play in the seniors for the rest of the year.

Big difference between having a run just to get a taste of AFL and making an impact and helping the side.

And you'll see that if by some miracle Bucks does the unthinkable and plays Marsh.
Not to mention the fact Shaz barely touched it after half time ;)

Interesting this issue of Schazza's game yesterday appearing to be at a similar level to his VFL games. He made the transition, but did the same things, with similar numbers. But isn't that a good sign?

I find him to be an enigmatic footballer. You can see that he has poise and footy smarts, but you don't see absolute focused determination ( e.g. De Goey) or a potential human highlights reel (Moore). I think he will surprise us.

Good point. When I read this I realised that he reminded me of Beams with his demeanour. Not overly expressive and will be one of those players who will annoy supporters when we lose as it looks like he "wasn't trying". Really really hope he stays. I think he'll be a really good one

Big difference between having a run just to get a taste of AFL and making an impact and helping the side.

And you'll see that if by some miracle Bucks does the unthinkable and plays Marsh.
Not to mention the fact Shaz barely touched it after half time ;)

It's obvious Bucks has no interest in making the finals ....play Marsh and I am more than happy to watch Shaz and Marsh play the rest of the season in the seniors!

Last edited:
Pace was never his attribute. Although I'd say this makes him a liability in the backline as opposition coaches will man him up with an agile fwd. Imagine him against a Breust!!

After today I'm convinced he is a mid. And a good one at that as we need someone with composure who can play that quarterback role (in the middle
But wouldn’t the defenders be the ones determining match up? If Hawk’s want Breust on Shazza and we want Williams on Breust than either Hawks end up with those 3 and who we want Shazza on all together or they just accept our matchups?

Interesting this issue of Schazza's game yesterday appearing to be at a similar level to his VFL games. He made the transition, but did the same things, with similar numbers. But isn't that a good sign?

I find him to be an enigmatic footballer. You can see that he has poise and footy smarts, but you don't see absolute focused determination ( e.g. De Goey) or a potential human highlights reel (Moore). I think he will surprise us.

Really feel similar sentiments VP. He settled into the game well and was a fairly good debut. He shows poise and time. Where though is the enthusiasm and determination to stop his man. He has yet to show any desperation as a backman. At VFL level he often lets his man have a free run at the ball and chases with no intent.

On Saturday in the last Q when we were 15 points down his direct opponent James Harmes just ran off him into the square to kick an uncontested goal. Maybe Vandenberg who had marked would have kicked the goal anyway but the match was in the balance but rushing away from us. Shaz is just behind Harmes when they run into the 50 but starts slowing immediately while Harmes tears off. Shaz gets to walking pace when he sees Harmes is about to get involved in the play so jogs a few more steps but by then he is 15 m behind and well out of the contest. The view from the camera behind the goals is worse but you can see it in the clip below.

It just didnt look right , with the game still in the balance in the final Q and its your 1st game and you just stop trying in a contest and let your opponent have a free run inside 50. Shaz to be doesnt look like a recruit with some fire in his belly and a fierce desire like a Moore, De Goey or even Maynard.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2015-08-03/rd-18-harmes-first-goal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really feel similar sentiments VP. He settled into the game well and was a fairly good debut. He shows poise and time. Where though is the enthusiasm and determination to stop his man. He has yet to show any desperation as a backman. At VFL level he often lets his man have a free run at the ball and chases with no intent.

On Saturday in the last Q when we were 15 points down his direct opponent James Harmes just ran off him into the square to kick an uncontested goal. Maybe Vandenberg who had marked would have kicked the goal anyway but the match was in the balance but rushing away from us. Shaz is just behind Harmes when they run into the 50 but starts slowing immediately while Harmes tears off. Shaz gets to walking pace when he sees Harmes is about to get involved in the play so jogs a few more steps but by then he is 15 m behind and well out of the contest. The view from the camera behind the goals is worse but you can see it in the clip below.

It just didnt look right , with the game still in the balance in the final Q and its your 1st game and you just stop trying in a contest and let your opponent have a free run inside 50. Shaz to be doesnt look like a recruit with some fire in his belly and a fierce desire like a Moore, De Goey or even Maynard.

IF it is a Big Problem at AFL and VFL Level. Then why are the Club so High on Him and PLaying Him?

I get what you are saying Gone Critical. Seen it at the VFL a few times

Hopefully it's a fitness issue rather than a work ethic issue.

He is definitely pretty weak defensively unless it's an aerial contest.

If he has Pendlebury's ability to slow down time he'll be the general in that defence one day

Hopefully it's a fitness issue rather than a work ethic issue.

He is definitely pretty weak defensively unless it's an aerial contest.
Yeah you wonder about fitness but even if he was run ragged by that stage he should have kept some effort. He almost was walking before just Harmes got into position to take the handball. He wasn't taking big breathes or down on his haunches after chasing, didn't show any reaction to his opponent kicking a goal. He just looked casual and as though he couldn't be bothered chasing.

Yeah you wonder about fitness but even if he was run ragged by that stage he should have kept some effort. He almost was walking before just Harmes got into position to take the handball. He wasn't taking big breathes or down on his haunches after chasing, didn't show any reaction to his opponent kicking a goal. He just looked casual and as though he couldn't be bothered chasing.

The "can't be bothered" look is one I've seen a few times with him, his opponent is leading him to the ball and he casually jogs behind then throws up a half hearted token smother after letting his opponent dispose of it.

Hopefully he improves a lot in 2016 when his knee is completely out of his mind.

The "can't be bothered" look is one I've seen a few times with him, his opponent is leading him to the ball and he casually jogs behind then throws up a half hearted token smother after letting his opponent dispose of it.

Hopefully he improves a lot in 2016 when his knee is completely out of his mind.
Yep hopefully its just a transition thing. Confidence may fire him up.

Well - Then I hope he get a Rocket because of that

OMG....no pre-season for two years...two serious injuries...ACL takes a year to get full strength and confidence...called up an hour and a half before the match to replace Goldsack...and BF posters critiquing him like he is a seasoned footballer.

How about well done Shaz for committing to getting your body right to make an amazingly quick debut? We look forward to you continuing to learn the speed of AFL games in these remaining matches and we will see you next year after your FIRST full pre season.

Possibly he has never had this aspect to his game because he was always so good at reading the play at junior level he didn't need to man up? Now its more noticeable at a higher level? Just guessing.

Either that or maybe he is in can't be f**ked mode.

Would be surprising if its related to his body as he shouldn't be playing AFL level if he is body isn't good enough to even chase hard. Its not like we are talking about him booring into packs. Posters are concerned with simple things like him tracking his man. That isn't knee confidence related like twisting and turning in a tackle is.

I'll stress that I have hardly seen him so mainly going off many other posters concerns rather than what I have seen myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back