No Oppo Supporters Re-signing Tex, Danger and Sloane *** Crows Only ***

Your thoughts on Dangerfield?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, I remember the old Playstation AFL trade weeks. Let's be honest, too many players involved. Don't think the brains trust of the AFL could handle something like that. They'd rather simple trades. It is the AFL after all
Remember this?
In the 1995/6 offseason, Jarman was traded to the Adelaide Crows in a complex three-way deal that involved Paul Salmon moving from Essendon to Hawthorn, promising defender Sean Wellman moving from Adelaide to Essendon and a handful of peripheral draft picks and players exchanged between the three clubs.

Wasn't the original deal we had done to get Brad Crouch like involve 5-6 teams that the AFL then vetoed for some reason?

Yes. I'm not sure all the ins and outs of the deal were made public, but were said to be very, very complex. From what I remember, I think it was a deal that would have been a win for all clubs involved. The AFL vetoed the deal because it resulted in the first pick in the mini-draft (Jaeger O'Meara) ending up back at GWS.

Edit - Just found an article about it. It was a 5 club deal. Didn't have all of the specifics, but would have seen mini-draft pick 2 (Crouch) land at the AFC, mini-draft pick 1 (O'Meara) to GWS, Clarke to Fremantle, Gunston to Hawthorn, and a number of draft picks and a GWS pre-listed player end up at various clubs (Brisbane would be the 5th club involved).

Last edited:
Yes. I'm not sure all the ins and outs of the deal were made public, but were said to be very, very complex. From what I remember, I think it was a deal that would have been a win for all clubs involved. The AFL vetoed the deal because it resulted in the first pick in the mini-draft (Jaeger O'Meara) ending up back at GWS.

Yeah that was it, omeara pre draft pick 1, brad crouch pre draft pick 2( for Davis) and we nearly received pre draft pick 3 for our first rounder which we would of used for Toumpas. But AFL didn't allow the deal and we ended up grabbing luke brown instead.

Someone on the Geelong board that thinks that the pick swap between Geelong and AFC last year was like a deposit on us giving them Dangerfield through RFA.

WTF?

Apart from the obvious fact that we were probably slightly behind in the deal on paper - and back into the positive once we semi-fluked Lever - surely anyone can see that this type of manipulation of player movement is a very very bad idea. I can't remember why ... but I've just got this feeling that it might not work out if the AFL got wind of it.

Anyone remember what that was a few years ago that happened to some team for trying to put a price on a player outside of the system? Surely someone wrote it down?

:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We did a deal which benefited Geelong last year, so we could then throw Dangerfield in as well? Interesting way of looking at it I suppose. :confused:

I don't buy it but I guess the thinking would be we give Geelong something last year, and in return they will give us something for Dangerfield rather than for nothing through FA.

I don't buy it but I guess the thinking would be we give Geelong something last year, and in return they will give us something for Dangerfield rather than for nothing through FA.

Well what was posted above tends to suggest that this certain poster believes that the deal we did with Geelong last year means we'll give them Dangerfield for nothing via RFA. Because I guess us moving their first round draft pick into the top 10 was of huge benefit to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back