Prediction Who will Debut next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does nobody here think McKay is a chance? Just because he wasn't an "exciting" pick? Interesting, the way we all think: not a sexy pick, no chance of playing any time soon. I'll bet no-one thought Ben Brown would debut in 2014. I didn't.

I've actually got no clue, but we have:
2014: Durdin, Neilsen, Vickers-Willis, Preuss, Fordham
2015: Anderson, McKay, Clarke, Hibberd, Wagner, Mountford, Ray

Of that list I'd say only Preuss is unlikely to debut. Anyone else could have a big pre-season, and then start lighting it up.

Great thread, though. Will be interesting to follow it throughout the year.

I just think McKay will take time to develop, sort of tall and lanky atm. Nothing to do with being a 'sexy' pick - I have no problems with the pick; usually a KP's first year is a development year.

Why does nobody here think McKay is a chance? Just because he wasn't an "exciting" pick? Interesting, the way we all think: not a sexy pick, no chance of playing any time soon. I'll bet no-one thought Ben Brown would debut in 2014. I didn't.

Of that list I'd say only Preuss is unlikely to debut. Anyone else could have a big pre-season, and then start lighting it up.

Because we rarely debut draftees from the most recent batch.

Sorry to intrude and not sure if this is the right thread.

Just wanted to say I think you guys should be stoked with your draft this year. Ben McKay is a good pickup and Clarke and Hibberd are both bargains in the 30s. Wagner very underrated in this year's draft crop, I think you're with the picks you had you've pulled in some absolute bargains :thumbsu:

Cant see EVW even getting close to be honest. If we have a decent year with injuries i doubt we will see many debuts. Anderson obviously, Clarke and Hibberd of the draftees. And Ray will get a gig at some stage. But EVW, Durds and Nielsen are starting a fresh and have alot of development ahead before they get a call up. Would like to see Fordham get a gig at some stage, providing he carries over his 2015 form.

It's mostly that he's a long way off having an AFL-ready body, and also that he's probably a few rungs down for a call-up to our forward line. Brown on the other hand came in at a time when we didn't have a settled three-tall combination and he was also a few years overage so physically was more ready to contribute.

If he gets a crack during the nab cup and does ok, i could see him playing a couple throughout the season. Big ask for Drew to play 22+ games year after year. Will all depend on his form and development early next year. Wouldnt worry me if he didnt though, im willing to give him the next 12 months or so to find his feet. Brown was different, had already played vfl footy and had already matured quite a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he gets a crack during the nab cup and does ok, i could see him playing a couple throughout the season. Big ask for Drew to play 22+ games year after year. Will all depend on his form and development early next year. Wouldnt worry me if he didnt though, im willing to give him the next 12 months or so to find his feet. Brown was different, had already played vfl footy and had already matured quite a bit.
Drew did have a 90 game streak going.

Drew did have a 90 game streak going.

Ofcourse and not saying he wont play every game, but as he is getting on in years i can see them giving him a week or two off at times, same as Firrito which is where Nielsen could ease into his role.

Not sure about that.

Yep. Has one of the most awkward kicking actions I've seen. I just don't see it with him to be honest.

The club sees him as a tagger/mid yet he pretty much played all his juniors as a key back. He is an in betweeners who is going to take a fair while to find his feet at VFL level let alone AFL level I think.

I'd say Nielson, Clarke and Hibberd are probably the best bets. We may see Durdin and McKay for a game here and there, depending on how the team is traveling. If there's a LTI or two, I'd imagine Fordham would get pretty close. Other than that, I struggle to see the others pushing their way in. Obviously very happy to be proven wrong!

Excluding Jed and Ray, as both will almost certainly play at one stage or another.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back