8. "Suite Sister Mary" 10:41
9. "The Needle Lies" 3:08
10. "Electric Requiem" 1:22
11. "Breaking the Silence" 4:34
12. "I Don't Believe in Love" 4:23
13. "Waiting for 22" 1:05
14. "My Empty Room" 1:25
15. "Eyes of a Stranger" 6:39

A bit of a change of pace here. Not sure how many will know this album let alone love it, but man... this is just an amazing album. Many established bands have tried to crank out a concept album at some point in their career, very few have got it right. These guys appeared from out of nowhere with what is undoubtedly (imo) the greatest rock opera of our time. It's masterful from start to finish.

For what it's worth the follow up, Empire, is also pretty damn good.

Special mention goes to Tesla for 'The Great Radio Controversy', 'Psychotic Supper' and 'Bust a Nut' which I would have loved to put in here as well.

Andonis1997 its all about your selection mate
Alrighty.

Well, I promised Van Halen, and you will get Van Halen.
VAN HALEN, by Van Halen. 1978.
Van_Halen_album.jpg

My favourite album and one of Van Halen's best-selling albums, along with 1984.
Was going to go a bit out-there and go with Royal Blood's self-titled album, but, I can't go past these Pasadena lads.

Notable songs:
*heavy breathing*

SSwans2011 you are up, I believe.

Best Metal/Rock Album
matty6 - Black Sabbath, Paranoid
Zakk Wylde - Down, Nola
Wooshette - Led Zepplin, Houses of Holy
Ant Bear - ACDC, Back In Black
Broken - Metallica, Master Of Puppets
miss_kate18 - Nine Inch Nails, The Fragile
Golumless - Gojira, From Mars To Sirius
PVF - Rage Against The Machine, Rage Against The Machine
Shermy - Killswitch Engage, As Daylight Dies
Nakia - Megadeth, Countdown To Extinction
brahj - Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath
Marlowe - Megadeth, Rust In Peace
Brown Bottle - Queensryche, Operation Mindcrime
Marklar_33 - To be selected
Andonis1997 - Van Halen, Van Halen
SSwans2011 - Pantera, Vulgar Display Of Power
A Bit High - Iron Maiden, The Number Of The Beast
TheFreightTrain - Foo Fighters, The Colour And The Shape

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take Vulgar Display SSwans2011

Some cracking albums there

You actually read my mind. :eek: I wanted Led Zep IV (generic af, I know), but considering Led Zeppelin have already been mentioned...

PanteraVulgarDisplayofPower.jpg

I love this album, as it's bloody brilliant hype-up music for, well, anything. It's hard not to listen to this:

and be completely hyped to play footy, walk the dog... heck, eat dinner, for all I care. It's just good s**t. Then we have this:

Which, in my opinion, is a top 5 Heavy Metal song of all-time. Big call, I know. Plenty of other gems on that album too.

I was tempted by Cowboys From Hell, because of 'Cemetery Gates' and 'Cowboys From Hell', but I'm pretty happy with my choice here.

A Bit High

FooFighters-TheColourAndTheShape.jpg

"The Colour and the Shape" - Foo Fighters (1997)

1. "Doll"
2. "Monkey Wrench"
3. "Hey, Johnny Park!"
4. "My Poor Brain"
5. "Wind Up"
6. "Up in Arms"
7. "My Hero"
8. "See You"
9. "Enough Space"
10. "February Stars"
11. "Everlong"
12. "Walking After You"
13. "New Way Home"
The first "true" Foo Fighters record (as opposed to the self-titled collection of songs Grohl put together in Nirvana), and arguably the finest of a band who has stood the test of time. This album tells a story from beginning to end, and whilst it's a big jagged in places, it was a defining alternate rock album. Starting with the slow, fragile melody of Doll and moving into the heavy rocking Monkey Wrench, the album sets the tone early and the album continues in this manner through out.

Singles off the record include the aforementioned "Monkey Wrench", a song that rocks from beginning to end and still makes for a highlight of any live Foos show. We also have "My Hero", a song that flutters between the zones of heartfelt tribute and sporting anthem, leaving rumours of a tribute to Kurt Cobain (although this has been denied). In a completely other direction, we have the slow love ballad in "Walking After You", which in this writer's opinion was the weakest record on the track, although was vastly improved when re-recorded for The X-Files movie. Also earning a mention is arguably Foo Fighters' most underrated song, "February Stars", which encompasses the mood of the album and is a perfect song with an excellent slow buildup with a heavy release.

Last and definitely not least, earning it's own paragraph is arguably one of the greatest rock songs ever- "Everlong". The greatest Foo Fighters song ever written, and a perfectly written love song that nailed emotive lyrics and great composition. A simple riff that is instantly recognisable and creates an energy that very few other songs can. A absolute jewel that also discovered life as an incredible acoustic song. (Fun-fact: Everlong is David Letterman's all-time favourite song.)

Kashmir - Led Zeppelin

Absolute masterpiece. Deserves the level of accolade that Stairway receives. Completely sums up what Led Zeppelin were about- amazing musical composition with a great story told through the song. Defining piece of rock music, IMO.

A Bit High

I know it's not how you're meant to answer the question, but here goes...

I'm going a track that's certainly not my favourite, but an absolute belter nonetheless, and certainly my favourite metal track from this year.

Andonis1997

As with most people, could've picked a while bevy of songs, so I'll just go with this, because of how ******* awesome it was to finally see them last Soundwave

Brown Bottle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back