Maths re the new stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

This probably cant be helped but the fact that there are 10 teams in an 18 team comp in the same state bothers me also.

Nail ... head! This is the biggest problem but it helps maintain the VFL business in Melbourne. Instead of starting up the two recent inclusions, Gold Coast and Greater Western, from scratch it would have been more logical to relocate two of the ailing Vic clubs (take your pick). This would have had a two fold benefit to the competition -
1. The number of basket case clubs being propped up through the "equalisation tax" would be reduced by two; and
2. The competition's fixtures would become slightly more fairer by keeping the number of clubs at 16. An extension of this would be to get rid of two more Vic clubs which would enable a fair fixture where each club plays every other club twice.
The other outcome would be 8 clubs outside of Victoria and 8 Vic based clubs which should mean that there would be a voting block outside of Victoria with an equal say in running the game.

So they lose signage, corporate boxes and some hospitality which is about 20% of their revenue. They could easily offset that by an increase in 10K full fee paying seated members and moving corporate functions away from the stadium. If they want to keep their current revenue models then they are just going to have to be more creative, or they could just stay at lolmain stadium for the next 70 years (try growing two power house clubs at that place)

there isnt going to be a large increase in eagles or dockers membership as the government wants an extra allowance for hospitality, they want an extra premium seat allowance for super tickets and they want an extra GA allowance

you'd be lucky to get a 10k increase...

in any case the 10k would be at reduced revenue. from memory the current stadia deal see's you get 70c in the $. there's no way thats happening under the new revenue sharing model. hence why WCE are not happy

there isnt going to be a large increase in eagles or dockers membership as the government wants an extra allowance for hospitality, they want an extra premium seat allowance for super tickets and they want an extra GA allowance

in any case the 10k would be at reduced revenue. from memory the current stadia deal see's you get 70c in the $. there's no way thats happening under the new revenue sharing model. hence why WCE are not happy

I'd rather get 100% of membership revenue on 50k seated members and 50c out of the dollar on 10k other tickets than 100% membership revenue on 40k seated tickets and 70c out of the dollar on 2k general admission.

The club isn't worried about the seating. It's worried about the rent being significantly higher and the WAFC trying to take a bigger chunk of our revenue due to their loss of income.

I dunno about anyone else, but I'd feel much better about a local WA entity running our stadium as opposed to some fat cats from over East...

Interesting to see what the two parties can negotiate from here.

None of the end user agreements have been finalised between the WAFC and the state government/Stadium Australia. If the state government is to be believed they said that they will work towards a model that will ensure the future of football in the state, they would be crazy not to. There is plenty of opportunity for the WAFC to use their people pulling power to negotiate deals beyond just the stadium as its a whole entertainment precinct. There is a huge opportunity here to make a killing.

I dunno about anyone else, but I'd feel much better about a local WA entity running our stadium as opposed to some fat cats from over East...

Interesting to see what the two parties can negotiate from here.

A local WA entity that is just interested in football, it was never going to happen. If the WAFC foot the bill then sure they can do what they like, but this is tax payer funded project, they either have to suck it up or stay at Domain, which they won't do. It's just salty tears at the moment, they will adapt and be stronger than ever at the new stadium which is going to be the ducks nuts.

None of the end user agreements have been finalised between the WAFC and the state government/Stadium Australia. If the state government is to be believed they said that they will work towards a model that will ensure the future of football in the state, they would be crazy not to. There is plenty of opportunity for the WAFC to use their people pulling power to negotiate deals beyond just the stadium as its a whole entertainment precinct. There is a huge opportunity here to make a killing.

i'm pessimistic but i agree, its yet to be finalised and theyre doing the right thing being strong here and saying they can still play at subi oval

i'm pessimistic but i agree, its yet to be finalised and theyre doing the right thing being strong here and saying they can still play at subi oval

I doubt the goverment will take that threat seriously. The WAFC still needs funding from the goverment so they best not bite the hand that feeds them.

Thing that annoys me, is everyone saying it's not just a stadium for football:rolleyes: If it were'nt for footy, there'd be no new stadium. They harp on about other sports & events using it too, so the non football people don't go completely off the idea. It's just the government trying to justify building the thing. We all know it's been designed, and planned for footy, that's the only reason it's being built.

If the Eagles and Freo had 25k members, it wouldn't be happening. Pretty sure all the other Perth based sports teams combined wouldn't get close to numbers of the 2 AFL teams, so people saying it's being built for more than footy are kidding themselves.

It's was always going be received in this manner due to the fact that the State Goverment has announced the facility manager but they have given no details YET.

As always the devil will be in the detail, it maybe an outstanding deal for the coffers of the WAFC but we are not going to know that until the exacts are laid out.

So the WAFC, Freo, WC and the AFL very much in the dark as to how the new management of the stadium are going to either benefit or hurt their respective positions.

One thing is for sure though , and that is , that the new management need to appease the football interests as they will be the primary draw card and the core business partners for the commercial viability of the venture.
The two PERTH afl teams are a cash cow that will deliver 50,0000 plus paid up customers for a minimum 22 times each year , every year, year in year out ,now that's serious clout.

However one thing that really does concern me is that Anz stadium has the worst playing surface in the AFL, and the same clowns will be managing our new stadium.
Poor playing surfaces = more serious injuries .... NOW that should concern us all.

There will be enough gravy to be shared around so that all parties benefit mutually from this new venture.

The Eagles voicing their serious concerns is to be expected as they will want to be appeased and reassured that their strong financial base won't be eroded to prop up the WAFC.

Earl days here and expect some serious " verbal jousting " over the next few months until the new deal is sorted out, as I have no doubt it will be.

But if the new mgmt of the stadium were foolish enough to screw football over then I would not be surprised if they, buck up and any impasse could be met with a dead set serious threat to not play AFL footy at the new venue, until the arrangement became more financially beneficial to the interst of football in WA.

It's highly unlikely that it will come to this but I don't see it as a completely empty threat either.

from WCE perspective they are very good at it, they keep it extremely profitable and ensure you are one of the wealthiest football clubs in the land

hence your clubs statement today. you think they just made that statement up for the hell of it? off the back of needing federal and state liberal government funding for a new training ground/HQ

i honestly cant believe how quick people are to give up on the current deal they have. the facilities are absolutely shite, but they are the WAFCs for the next 70 years which has delivered big profits

you're essentially trading that for new facilities at a reduced income but without having a lease or asset at the end of it. my club rolled over on waverley but atleast there's an asset to come out of it, albeit for the afl. on this there's nothing, but for the state government

its just bad bad bad

The stadium deal does not worry me. WCE and Freo put bums on seats.

My main concern now is how the WAFC will make up for their revenue shortfall.

I can see our revenue increasing but our profit falling as WAFL takes a bigger and bigger cut.

Thing that annoys me, is everyone saying it's not just a stadium for football:rolleyes: If it were'nt for footy, there'd be no new stadium. They harp on about other sports & events using it too, so the non football people don't go completely off the idea. It's just the government trying to justify building the thing. We all know it's been designed, and planned for footy, that's the only reason it's being built.

If the Eagles and Freo had 25k members, it wouldn't be happening. Pretty sure all the other Perth based sports teams combined wouldn't get close to numbers of the 2 AFL teams, so people saying it's being built for more than footy are kidding themselves.

This was never just about the football. What the state government wanted to do was create a precinct and stadium that will attract other sports and events and generally lift the cultural profile of Perth. The reason why Stadiums Australia's bid was a "standout" was because of their plans to attract more than just football events to the stadium precinct, their track record in this regard is pretty good. Trying to justify to the WA tax payer who does not follow the football ~2.5 million - ~500K (at a guess) that spending over 1 billion on stadium just for football would be political suicide, and rightly so. Like the rest of you, I am a mad football person and want to see our club continue to be an economic powerhouse but at the same time (as a tax payer and general Perth goer) I want to be able to go to the new precinct and enjoy other events like the cricket and concerts etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was never just about the football. What the state government wanted to do was create a precinct and stadium that will attract other sports and events and generally lift the cultural profile of Perth. The reason why Stadiums Australia's bid was a "standout" was because of their plans to attract more than just football events to the stadium precinct, their track record in this regard is pretty good. Trying to justify to the WA tax payer who does not follow the football ~2.5 million - ~500K (at a guess) that spending over 1 billion on stadium just for football would be political suicide, and rightly so. Like the rest of you, I am a mad football person and want to see our club continue to be an economic powerhouse but at the same time (as a tax payer and general Perth goer) I want to be able to go to the new precinct and enjoy other events like the cricket and concerts etc

That's my point, we all know it's for footy, but they have to try and if the Eagles and Freo were s**t, and had no supporters, I highly doubt the money would be spent on a new stadium. There is no way that football wasn't at the absolute forefront of planning and preperation for a new stadium.

Ultimately as a taxpayer, I'd hope a government funded and owned asset is run to benefit taxpayers first and foremost.

Seems fairly damning that PSM didn't even come runner up
Seems a weird process when the runner-up wasn't even one of the three shortlisted consortia. I'm surprised the Spotless bid didn't get up to be honest.

But who cares about the Vic's on this instance. If we don't get the ball rolling now which we have too, it will never happen. I'm optimistic that this can happen. It just can't have this "it's always been there" mentality or "they'll never do it".
One day 99% of people will watch their footy on 150 inch ultra HD 3D TV's anyway.
Perfect scenario for a twilight interstate grand final.

Unlike Adelaide Oval which is owned by SACA. The new stadium isn't owned by WACA.
No guarantees they will pay to play cricket there.

This probably cant be helped but the fact that there are 10 teams in an 18 team comp in the same state bothers me also.
Yeh, it's unlikely to change though, the league as a product of it's formation is always going to be centered in Victoria. Going back to the Grand Final, I think the it will always be in Victoria. If you think about it from a logistics point of view it makes sense, for many reasons (sponsorship, entertainment, flights, accomodation, Grand Final parade, all the events during the week leading up to the game etc etc) you need to know where the grand final is going to be played in advance. They're just never going to leave the venue of the Grand Final up in the air a week before the game. For example the superbowl seems to awarded 3 or 4 years in advance and is subject to a system similar to the olympics where host citys bid on winning the game. And by bid, they seem to try and openly buy the right to host the game. They can do this because they know that they'll sell the game out no matter where it's played. Can you imagine selling out our new stadium if say Geelong and Port Adelaide were to make the 2018 Grand Final? I just can't see it and to be honest it would kind of ruin the atmosphere of the big day.

.... Can you imagine selling out our new stadium if say Geelong and Port Adelaide were to make the 2018 Grand Final? I just can't see it and to be honest it would kind of ruin the atmosphere of the big day.

Not sure if serious. The only barrier to selling it out would be the ridiculous ticket prices they would inflict on us.

Not sure if serious. The only barrier to selling it out would be the ridiculous ticket prices they would inflict on us.
Yeh, you're probably right actually, you'd probably get 60000 to it. But that's 35000 or so short of what they'd get in Melbourne so most of those 60k seats would go to the "right" kind of people as far as the AFL is concerned and not the average Joe off the streets like you or me.

from WCE perspective they are very good at it, they keep it extremely profitable and ensure you are one of the wealthiest football clubs in the land

hence your clubs statement today. you think they just made that statement up for the hell of it? off the back of needing federal and state liberal government funding for a new training ground/HQ

i honestly cant believe how quick people are to give up on the current deal they have. the facilities are absolutely shite, but they are the WAFCs for the next 70 years which has delivered big profits

you're essentially trading that for new facilities at a reduced income but without having a lease or asset at the end of it. my club rolled over on waverley but atleast there's an asset to come out of it, albeit for the afl. on this there's nothing, but for the state government

its just bad bad bad

The Eagles will never go broke

A new stadium was always going to part ways with WAFC, a price to pay

The stadium deal does not worry me. WCE and Freo put bums on seats.

My main concern now is how the WAFC will make up for their revenue shortfall.

I can see our revenue increasing but our profit falling as WAFL takes a bigger and bigger cut.

so did port and the crows under their stadium deal...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back