AFLW Daisy Pearce - New AFLW Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

They probably all help out where they can. Still a bit stretched from Covid cuts I think so they should get help from all. Did Prior do anything with the AFL team?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I figured he was already working at the Eagles prior to his appointment as AFLW coach.
His LinkedIn seems to confirm that.
He writes that he's been "Manager Game Development at West Coast Eagles" since January 2021, which is prior to when he started as AFLW coach after the 2021 season.

Last edited:

I figured he was already working at the Eagles prior to his appointment as AFLW coach.
His LinkedIn seems to confirm that.
He writes that he's been "Manager Game Development at West Coast Eagles" since January 2021, which is prior to when he started as AFLW coach after the 2021 season.
Daisy would possibly need to cover whatever Prior did. Other than game plan of course.

There’s a link to an interview with Daisy on SEN with Hase and Marto

It’s a bloody good interview and Daisy shines. Her enthusiasm for the game and excitement at the challenge in front of year comes through in waves

It’s hard to comprehend how the players will be anything other than wanting to run through brick walls for her. They will definitely be motivated and I expect the whole vibe of the women’s program will be elevated

Massive upgrade on Prior

West Coast captain Emma Swanson says there is “light at the end of the tunnel” after AFLW great Daisy Pearce signed on as the club’s new coach.
And Swanson admits while she “can’t stop smiling” over the appointment, the playing group are realistic about the work ahead.
“We’ve got a lot of work to do to close the gap on the competition and I don’t think we’re going to shy away from that,” Swanson told The West Australian.
“Daisy is not some magical person who is going to come in and make it easy for us, it’s going to be bloody hard but we’re all really motivated.”
West Coast have struggled since their 2020 introduction into the league, claiming just eight wins across five seasons.
The club also dealt with off-field controversies during the three-year tenure of Michael Prior, whose controversial comments ultimately led to his departure in October.
Daisy Pearce insists she’s ‘all in’ after being announced as West Coast Eagles AFLW coach
Daisy Pearce: Women’s football great set to be named West Coast Eagles AFLW coach
“It’s been a really tough period, particularly these last few months coming to the end of the season,” Swanson said.
“We under-performed and I’ll be the first person to put my hand up and say that we haven’t been good enough.
“It’s been a really tough period for a lot of the players, as a footy club we are asking girls to sign long-term contracts and we didn’t have a coach.”
Despite the challenges, Swanson is among a core group of Eagles, including Charlie Thomas, Ella Roberts and Bella Lewis, to sign contract extensions with the club.
“There’s no lack of adversity that we’ve been through in the last couple of years,” Swanson said.
“(Daisy’s appointment) kind of feels like a little bit of reward for loyalty and for the girls who have really pushed through the tough times.

Daisy Pearce with West Coast players. Instagram
“We’ve had a couple of young girls sign long-term deals and it’s great for them to have a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.”
The 28-year-old said Pearce’s three-year commitment feels “like a step in the right direction” that adds “legitimacy” to the women’s program. She said Pearce is “one of the reasons why we’re all playing AFLW. “
“(We’re) just so motivated and inspired to come back bigger and better,” she said. “We haven’t had a lot of that inspiration and motivation just through the adversity that we’ve been through . . . that’s what Daisy is going to bring for us.”
Pearce only retired from her trailblazing career at Melbourne in January.
“There’s no one better to understand that than someone who has been there from the very start (of the AFLW),” Swanson said.
“To sit under and listen to someone, as a head coach, who has paved the way for us to be where we are but also been through it herself.

Emma Swanson. 2023 Getty Images
“She’s come back from injuries, she’s come back from having children - she’s going to have a really strong understanding of what we’re going through.”
Ahead of her ninth season, Swanson says she feels “probably the best I’ve felt for a long time when I think about football.”

This is a really good article and goes into some good detail of what we did to secure Pearce as our new coach

The club did really well to keep it quiet and, credit where it’s due, Geelong knew about it but didn’t let the cat out of the bag either

Normally I’d be annoyed that we put the blinkers on and zeroed in on one target without considering anyone else. Particularly since we had others putting their name forward. But in this instance it was justified as she was always going to be sought after and there was no point wasting energy talking to others

The club identified who they wanted and put their energy into ensuring they got their woman

It’s probably the last major appointment Nisbett will be involved in and whilst Cowan was the primary driver he was still involved. Good way to go out

West Coast’s secret was that little bit harder to keep after a fateful flight from Melbourne to Perth.
Until that point, Operation ‘Get Daisy’ had been largely kept under wraps. It had to be, given there were so many stakeholders invested in the future of the face of women’s football.

Geelong knew it was a possibility. So did Channel Seven. Even Eagles players had an inkling, one they made known to those in attendance at the W Awards in Melbourne on November 27.

But when Daisy Pearce was met by the awestruck faces of those same players as she boarded a cross-country flight to Perth, the operation took a big stride towards reality.

“Funnily enough, 10 of our players were booked on the same flight as ‘Dais’ and her family coming back from the AFLW best and fairest,” West Coast head of women’s football Michelle Cowan tells CODE Sports.

“She was coming across to tour the facility and meet with myself and Trevor (Nisbett). The players saw her on the plane and got really excited.

“You can’t help that.”

You truly can’t.

Pearce is synonymous with the advent of the AFLW. She’s a trailblazer. A premiership player. A three-time All-Australian and club champion. A fearless captain.

And now? West Coast head coach.

The extraordinary story of how the Eagles pulled off one of the biggest coups in club history begins with a phone call.

There’s been plenty of them between Pearce and Cowan over the years.

The pair’s journey started a decade ago when Pearce was the No.1 draft pick for Melbourne ahead of the newly-formed women’s football exhibition series, bringing together the best 50 female players from around Australia.

Cowan was coach. Even when they went their separate ways at the advent of the AFLW, they were intrinsically linked by what they had achieved.

At the AFLW season launch event earlier this year, Cowan and Pearce carved out a corner of the room and spent a good hour together talking footy and family. There was also the odd phone call throughout the year.

Then, Eagles AFLW coach of three seasons Michael Prior stood down with two games to play.

“Straight away, we started identifying what we needed within the program and the club, and that was a coach that could build connections and relationships, and bring the leadership and communication we needed,” Cowan says. “Those were the traits we wanted in a senior coach for our AFLW team.”

Pearce was the perfect match. But West Coast still had two games to navigate and also wanted to respect those teams still in finals contention.

It wasn’t long before the Eagles had to make a move. Despite being the first to part ways with their coach, they were no longer the only club in need of a new one.

First, Steve Symonds and Collingwood separated. Then Nathan Burke left the Western Bulldogs. And finally, Bec Goddard retired from Hawthorn.

Shortly after West Coast’s season ended, Cowan dialled Daisy. As Pearce recalled earlier this week, it quickly became clear that her former mentor hadn’t called to “chew the fat”.

“There were a lot of phone calls. But our first serious conversation would’ve been after our season ended,” Cowan says.

“As soon as she expressed further interest in the role, we wanted to see how far we could take it.

“I wanted her to know that we were really serious about this and our intent. We pulled together some information and presented that to her.”

There were phone calls, zoom calls and after a week or two, Pearce called into Perth. Her partner Ben and their twins, Sylvie and Roy, made the trip as well, bumping into a third of West Coast’s squad on that not-so-covert flight across the Nullabor.

“To get them across and sneak them through the facilities was quite challenging at times,” Cowan says.

“We kept it as confidential as we could. We were obviously sensitive about her commitments at Geelong and Channel Seven, but Dais was able to speak to both of them before coming across. They were great throughout the whole process.

“Dais had a lot of questions. She was really thorough in her desire to understand the program, the people within it and the support she’s going to have whilst taking on her first senior coaching role.”

When it came to football, the club’s pitch was simple.

“Essentially this incredible group of players,” Cowan says. “Never in my career have I encountered such an outstanding group of talented footballers that want to have success.”

Throughout the courting process, the Eagles were inundated with expressions of interest from coaches around the country. But Pearce was the only one West Coast interviewed.

“When we were made aware that Daisy wanted to take further steps, we put all of our eggs in her basket,” Cowan says.

“We wanted to make sure it was a perfect fit for Daisy and for us.

“If it wasn’t going to be, we’d move on to plan B, but plan B was fortunately never an option.

“There were others we would’ve looked at. But our complete focus was on Daisy.”

West Coast’s approach wasn’t without risk, especially when other clubs started asking the same question.

“I was never confident,” Cowan admits. “But ultimately she’s exactly what we needed and exactly what we wanted in a coach.

“I was always conscious that that was also what the other three clubs were probably looking for as well.

“Dais is such an incredible character. Her leadership, knowledge and care are what sets her apart from so many people. I wouldn’t have been surprised if the Head of AFLW role (recently vacated by Nicole Livingstone) at the AFL was something that she was linked to as well, among other roles.

“I was just grateful that we got the chance to present to her what we’re about as a footy club and the direction we’re heading in.”

Cowan wanted her new coach in place by the end of the year. That timeline shrunk as Pearce’s interest escalated.

“I had this vision of them standing up there at the draft presenting our new players with their jumpers,” she said.

“When we got closer, I thought we could probably make it happen for the sign and trade period, which is an important time as well.”

Pearce officially said yes late last week … while sitting on the back of a scooter rideshare in Vietnam.

“I had a message and a phone call from Dais. She was on holiday with her family and had a lot to think about over there,” Cowan recalls. “That was an incredible moment.

“I got quite emotional actually, but I had to control myself because I had a few people around me at work that knew nothing of it.

“I took a moment just to be by myself. It had been a big couple of weeks.”

And so Pearce flew to Perth, via Hong Kong, to arrive in time for Monday’s club-altering announcement.

“That was a landmark day for our footy club,” Cowan says. “We had my family, Trevor and her family all around for dinner.

“She’s one of the most exceptional leaders I’ve ever encountered in my career. She’s someone I’ve said I’d always like to work with again.

“I visualised this moment and then it became a reality.”

West Coast is still working through the exact details of what Pearce’s role will look like and the soft cap restraints attached. The club was able to employ its previous coach Prior full-time by splitting his role and salary between AFLW and community engagements.

Cowan says Pearce will also be employed on a full-time basis but West Coast may also work to secure her an ambassadorial role, not dissimilar to what Gold Coast was able to offer AFL premiership coach Damien Hardwick.

“It’s something we may explore with the AFL but it’s not something that is in place at the moment,” Cowan says.

“We’ll work through that (role structure) with our team upstairs. We’ll also support Dais with her Channel 7 work if that’s what she wants to continue doing.”

Ultimately, Pearce’s passion is coaching. It was a matter of when, not if, the 35-year-old would take on a senior role, an inevitable conclusion to most in the industry.

West Coast won that commitment.

Plenty of others tried. But the Eagles will benefit most from the instant injection of credibility and grandeur that Pearce provides.

It’s only fitting, really, given that Operation ‘Get Daisy’ has been 10 years in the making.

“It’s fantastic for our club and our players, but it’s also fantastic for WA football and the talent pathway,” Cowan says.

“Hopefully we can lure some talent across but also girls can now come through the system knowing they could one day be coached by Daisy Pearce.

“She’s been through what our players are going through. She brings an exceptional amount of leadership experience.

“She was also really important for me when I was coaching at Melbourne. I’d lean heavily on her. Really, she’s been coaching for a long time.

“It all started in 2013 when Daisy got picked up No.1 in the draft. Ten years later … here we are.”

This is a really good article and goes into some good detail of what we did to secure Pearce as our new coach

The club did really well to keep it quiet and, credit where it’s due, Geelong knew about it but didn’t let the cat out of the bag either

Normally I’d be annoyed that we put the blinkers on and zeroed in on one target without considering anyone else. Particularly since we had others putting their name forward. But in this instance it was justified as she was always going to be sought after and there was no point wasting energy talking to others

The club identified who they wanted and put their energy into ensuring they got their woman

It’s probably the last major appointment Nisbett will be involved in and whilst Cowan was the primary driver he was still involved. Good way to go out

Surprised Geelong were good about it and didnt ask for Brander + 2 first round picks.

Surprised Geelong were good about it and didnt ask for Brander + 2 first round picks.
Maybe we'll find out what they asked for closer to the next draft, maybe we'll just have an educated guess. Maybe she's got photos of Scott in a compromised position.

Trev opened up the wallet on the way out

Incoming West Coast AFLW coach Daisy Pearce is set to be handsomely rewarded for her cross-country move, with the Eagles set to make her one of the league’s highest-paid coaches.
West Coast unveiled the capture of women’s football trailblazer Pearce as their first female coach of their women’s program on Monday — and it has not come cheaply for the Eagles.
The West Australian understands Pearce is set to rake in approximately $500,000 per season across her three-year contract, plus relocation expenses.
For comparison, Sydney Swans AFLW coach Scott Gowers told the ABC in 2022 the average assistant in an AFLW program would be paid around the $6000 mark, while senior coach wages ranged between $40,000 and $100,000 in season one of the AFLW.

The Age reported in 2022 the nine full-time female coaching assistants in the AFL system - of which Pearce was one - would earn at least $100,000 a year.
The move to get Pearce was a big signal of intent from the Eagles, who have languished near the foot of the AFLW table since their inception in 2020.

Rest of the article is rehashed from previous articles mostly from the initial press conference about why she chose West Coast

Trev opened up the wallet on the way out

Rest of the article is rehashed from previous articles mostly from the initial press conference about why she chose West Coast

Good. Literally good. We've been half assing our Women's team since its inception. Let's actually show them that the club gives a crap for once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is true but also a little unfair

1. Buckley was a good coach and was 5 points from being a premiership coach
2. Voss showing his strip's now at Carlton after a terrible Brisbane stint
3. Hird we'll never truly know after drug gate

What these guys failed to do was their apprenticeship. Doesn't matter who you are, you should complete time as an assistant learning the ropes
Hopefully that is the case.

But the way that the druggists and mates are pushing the 'he's rehabilitated and deserves a second chance' barrow, there's every chance he gets another shot in a few years. I'm thinking most teams would still stay away even if he's clear to coach. But every chance the druggies would have him back.

There’s a link to an interview with Daisy on SEN with Hase and Marto

It’s a bloody good interview and Daisy shines. Her enthusiasm for the game and excitement at the challenge in front of year comes through in waves

It’s hard to comprehend how the players will be anything other than wanting to run through brick walls for her. They will definitely be motivated and I expect the whole vibe of the women’s program will be elevated

Massive upgrade on Prior
I can't say I am as optimistic as you. Wish Daisy all the best but this appointment process smells a lot like a Carlton/Essendon appointment.

By that it's we are a big club that has fallen behind and rather than revamp our processes and do the hard work to make sure we have all the things in place let's just throw money at a big name and let the messiah effect take us back to the top.

I wish Daisy had gone through a rigorous application process rather than getting the James Hird/Michael Voss treatment of great player = great coach.

Having said that she may well be a great coach but the kind of process we have undertaken makes me feel uneasy and isn't a sustainable process that gives you the best chance of success.

I can't say I am as optimistic as you. Wish Daisy all the best but this appointment process smells a lot like a Carlton/Essendon appointment.

By that it's we are a big club that has fallen behind and rather than revamp our processes and do the hard work to make sure we have all the things in place let's just throw money at a big name and let the messiah effect take us back to the top.

I wish Daisy had gone through a rigorous application process rather than getting the James Hird/Michael Voss treatment of great player = great coach.

Having said that she may well be a great coach but the kind of process we have undertaken makes me feel uneasy and isn't a sustainable process that gives you the best chance of success.
Don’t disagree entirely but I think it has to be acknowledged that the leagues are different and have different requirements. Pearce’s appointment is perhaps more about raising profile, generating enthusiasm, validation etc than it is about technical coaching requirements.

No doubt Hird/Voss etc were employed partly because the clubs hoped it would excite the fanbases by bringing home a favourite son, but ultimately those clubs had different requirements to the WC AFLW side.

Also she has done coaching accreditation and some exposure at Geelong so it’s not 100% great player = great coach.

It's a win-win! She comes with good footy experience and energy and the players seem excited to have her as a coach.....and it means we no longer have to endure that screechy chainsaw voice as commentator - all due respect of course!

It's a win-win! She comes with good footy experience and energy and the players seem excited to have her as a coach.....and it means we no longer have to endure that screechy chainsaw voice as commentator - all due respect of course!
Don't mind her commentary at all actually , she stays on topic and talk sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back