Past #8: Daniel Wells - joins Collingwood as a FA - North get pick #32 as compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/e229a34ac944f7fe4c78c909f6b188c3

Daniel Wells has shed 6kg and will make North Melbourne a better team, says coach Brad Scott

NORTH Melbourne star Daniel Wells is poised to deliver the Kangaroos’ premiership assault a major boost after dropping 6kg since last season.

Coach Brad Scott told the Herald Sun the dazzling midfielder returned to pre-season training in “equal to the best condition” of his 224-game career.

Goalkicker Drew Petrie has also dropped 4kg in the off-season in a bid to add a more versatile edge to the Kangaroos’ tall forward line.

The veterans will ramp up their preparations for their Round 1 clash against Adelaide at Etihad Stadium with an intra-club match at Arden St at 3.30pm on Friday.

This season is a make-or-break 13th campaign for Wells, who played only the first two games last season amid a debilitating run of achilles problems.

Wells returned to training late last season but was overlooked for finals selection as he struggled with fitness.

The 31-year-old was required to reduce his skinfolds over summer and looms as a vital addition to the club’s midfield setup this season after consecutive preliminary finals.

Scott was adamant the club was not expecting superstar performances from Wells but said “he is a player who can do things that other can’t”.

“I really feel that he is carried the burden of expectation on his shoulders for too long and I think that is unfair and it doesn’t suit his personality,” Scott said.

“That is not a slight against Daniel, it’s just that everyone is different.

"Stressing what we need him to do has meant that he has come in (this pre-season) probably equal to the best condition he has been in his career.

“He seems to be training really well, but we are just expecting him to get some continuity in training and play his role for the team.

“If he does that, it will probably add up to us being a better team, but it’s not the missing link.”

His return will add some crucial speed and polish to imposing onball group led by Ben Cunnington, Jack Ziebell and Andrew Swallow and help free up playmakers Brent Harvey, Nick Dal Santo and Shaun Higgins.

Scott said Wells had been weighed down by expectations in the past but believed he was in a good space entering this season.

“People may forget, but he was the player North Melbourne received as compensation for losing Wayne Carey,” he said.

“So with that comes some expectations and then you see the things that he can do on the field which are things very few other players can do.

“It can frustrate because people can expect him to do that all the time.”

Petrie’s weight loss and extra running power will help him roam further up the ground.

“He (Petrie) really wanted to increase his running capacity in the off-season so we are just striking the balance of having a few players a little bit lighter, but just as strong,” Scott said.

“So that has been a focus for Drew and he has been able to shed a few kilos as well, which means he is more efficient.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/e229a34ac944f7fe4c78c909f6b188c3

Daniel Wells has shed 6kg and will make North Melbourne a better team, says coach Brad Scott

NORTH Melbourne star Daniel Wells is poised to deliver the Kangaroos’ premiership assault a major boost after dropping 6kg since last season.

Coach Brad Scott told the Herald Sun the dazzling midfielder returned to pre-season training in “equal to the best condition” of his 224-game career.

Goalkicker Drew Petrie has also dropped 4kg in the off-season in a bid to add a more versatile edge to the Kangaroos’ tall forward line.

The veterans will ramp up their preparations for their Round 1 clash against Adelaide at Etihad Stadium with an intra-club match at Arden St at 3.30pm on Friday.

This season is a make-or-break 13th campaign for Wells, who played only the first two games last season amid a debilitating run of achilles problems.

Wells returned to training late last season but was overlooked for finals selection as he struggled with fitness.

The 31-year-old was required to reduce his skinfolds over summer and looms as a vital addition to the club’s midfield setup this season after consecutive preliminary finals.

Scott was adamant the club was not expecting superstar performances from Wells but said “he is a player who can do things that other can’t”.

“I really feel that he is carried the burden of expectation on his shoulders for too long and I think that is unfair and it doesn’t suit his personality,” Scott said.

“That is not a slight against Daniel, it’s just that everyone is different.

"Stressing what we need him to do has meant that he has come in (this pre-season) probably equal to the best condition he has been in his career.

“He seems to be training really well, but we are just expecting him to get some continuity in training and play his role for the team.

“If he does that, it will probably add up to us being a better team, but it’s not the missing link.”

His return will add some crucial speed and polish to imposing onball group led by Ben Cunnington, Jack Ziebell and Andrew Swallow and help free up playmakers Brent Harvey, Nick Dal Santo and Shaun Higgins.

Scott said Wells had been weighed down by expectations in the past but believed he was in a good space entering this season.

“People may forget, but he was the player North Melbourne received as compensation for losing Wayne Carey,” he said.

“So with that comes some expectations and then you see the things that he can do on the field which are things very few other players can do.

“It can frustrate because people can expect him to do that all the time.”

Petrie’s weight loss and extra running power will help him roam further up the ground.

“He (Petrie) really wanted to increase his running capacity in the off-season so we are just striking the balance of having a few players a little bit lighter, but just as strong,” Scott said.

“So that has been a focus for Drew and he has been able to shed a few kilos as well, which means he is more efficient.”
These kinds of articles fill me with both unbridled excitement and a sense of dread haha. Best condition of his career.... Neck minit soft tissue injury!! Apologies not meaning to put the moz on him. Just until he gets some continuity back into his game I'll feel nervous every time he sprints for the ball.

Does Brad Scott publically criticise Wells more than any other player?
I remember last year when he was out for 2 weeks, all year, Scott was questioning his ability to play with pain. Now he is basically saying he is inconsistent.
Scott normally backs our players to the hilt, except for Wells.
I feel like it is intentional, Scott knows if we can get him back to his best form, we will be seriously serious contenders

Yeah that's exactly what i thought. "Equal to best condition of career"
Can't make to much from that this early on..

I think this will be his last year. You can see it in wellsy on field sometimes that he struggles with the mental side of the game and expectation that has been on his shoulders for the last 14 years. The fact that Scott still brings it up sort of suggests to me that it is still an ongoing issue

Does Brad Scott publically criticise Wells more than any other player?
I remember last year when he was out for 2 weeks, all year, Scott was questioning his ability to play with pain. Now he is basically saying he is inconsistent.
Scott normally backs our players to the hilt, except for Wells.
I feel like it is intentional, Scott knows if we can get him back to his best form, we will be seriously serious contenders

Possibly? Maybe he thinks Wellsy is the kind of guy who reacts positively to a bit of a public kick in the pants.

Possibly? Maybe he thinks Wellsy is the kind of guy who reacts positively to a bit of a public kick in the pants.
so Scotts thinks the best way to give a "public kick in the pants" is to say he doesn't handle public expectation very well.

got it...wait...no I don't. WTF?

To be fair, Scott could have been misquoted or taken out of context. It is an article by the Hun after all.

Personally, I didn't read anything in that article that Wellsy wouldn't already know. He's been a great player for our club, however he hasn't lived up to the expectations put on him (whether or not those expectations were warranted). He and Boomer almost single handedly carried our midfield for a large period in the 00's, it's time for them both to take a back seat and let the others take the burden now.

To be fair, Scott could have been misquoted or taken out of context. It is an article by the Hun after all.

Personally, I didn't read anything in that article that Wellsy wouldn't already know. He's been a great player for our club, however he hasn't lived up to the expectations put on him (whether or not those expectations were warranted). He and Boomer almost single handedly carried our midfield for a large period in the 00's, it's time for them both to take a back seat and let the others take the burden now.
Any 17 year old kid that is a Sandover Medal Runner Up is going to have expectations put on him.

Article seems fine to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any 17 year old kid that is a Sandover Medal Runner Up is going to have expectations put on him.

Didn't archer write an article sayign he could be one of the greatest of all time when Wells was in his first years?

And lets be honest they were some of NMFCs darkest days.

As much as I've loved Wells I've always had a few questions about him - mostly about his hardness. But unlike some he stuck with us thru all that time. He could have walked into any flag winning club in the last 10 years if he wanted. I really hope the club pay him and Boomer back with a flag this season. If anyone in footy has ever deserved it its those two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back