Unofficial Preview R7: Changes v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

How else do you get selection threads over 50 pages each week?!

Or could it be that with B Crouch but not certain to come in and Laird not having an obviously similar substitute there's a lot of different views and therefore discussion. Throw in Milera's availability as well. You might like to believe it's an indictment on the board that we don't just wait for selection and give 3 cheers for the coaches and those selected, but it's not.

so Cheney is not a defenders a-hole but Hendo is your guy?

s-l1000.jpg

Who says Hendo is playing in defense?

Yes I can actually. If Henderson is best 22 he would have been playing already. The fact he came in as a replacement says to me , like Lyons , that he will go out when Laird is ready to return. Unless , as stated , he tears it up

On the surface it's hard to argue your post however the variable is that due to injury Hendo wasn't available for selection for the opening rounds

Pyke also said last week that he is still working through what is his best 22

Because we have a ****load of talent in the SANFL and some of us think the side could possibly be improved into premiership material.

Cheney is handy depth but struggles against anyone with speed or marking ability. Imagine if Hendo coughed up a soft goal like Cheney did against the Hawks or Freo half you flogs would implode.

I personally don't mind if Hendo gets beaten one v one and gives up a goal but when he squibs a contest and gives up a goal. (He has form at this and I can almost guarantee there will be at least one this weekend).

Our game starts from half-back, so glad to see Hendo back in. When Laird recovers from his leather poisoning I would bring him in for Cheney.

As for Brad Crouch, he has very quick hands which suits our current style of play. Lyons is pretty average in this respect. That fast-ball movement he brings is probably why we are playing him inplace of Lyons.

Well thats wrong as thats Lyons strength. He has quick hands in close which he needs to as he doesnt have the foot speed of a crouch/Dangerfield type.

If Hendo does not perform he should sent to the glue factory. He'll probably have a good, unaccountable game then squib it up the week after against the Cats, the guy is a genuine pea heart.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Actually is an expression from gay literature back in the 30s. The book itself "Mills awakening" relates the story of a young Harvard graduate Alistair Mills, who goes to work in California for the state government department for expenditure. The department itself is nicknamed "the stacks department" as the Californian state raised the highest taxes and therefore had "stacks" of money).Alistair is suprised to find that feelings he has harboured all along and felt was unnatural are the same as his new work buddies. Without grossing people out, there is a bit of an initiation ceremony where Alistair loses his brown cherry and it crescendos with all of them lying on top of him all inside the guy below, hence the expression "stacks on the Mill".

Why did you make up ridiculous stuff like this to post on a footy forum?? Any links to substantiate your claim?

If not, I'll go with this:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ssions-and-their-origins.283056/#post-6237113

"Sacks to the mill" seems a more normal evolution than the one you made up above...

I cant help you if you cant see where you went wrong

So no proof then. And i think you'll find that you've headed down the wrong track. I've just plainly stated that many posters are incapable of understanding flexibility and adaptability of players and roles which the coach has stated as a primary tenet of his game plan. You posted a meaningless retort which addressed nothing but could be countered with a single question that you have no answer for. And so you retreat rather than support your statement with evidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

e3f88c653dda3de44e7389cfbf330ba8.png

This disagrees with you :)

Lyons is the last midfielder selected, therefore it's the right call he drops out.

Unfortunate, but there isn't a whole lot you can do.

What stats from over their careers? That hardly disagrees with what I said. I said atm he is performing better.

I also wouldn't just use stats to look at the performance of a player.
But if you want to use stats and look at the fact Mcrouch played on Barlow I wouldn't go comparing cos crouch got toweled up.

He is not, Matt can't kick that's all. Matt's worst game is Lyons average game

Lyons
1 Senior emergency.
2 SANFL 26 touches, 10 clearances and a goal in dazzling performance. -
3 Rich Good afternoon in midfield rotation with 20 touches and two goals. 6
4 Syd Poor first half with just three disposals, responded with a big second half. 5
5 Haw Quiet early but back-to-back goals were important in Crows’ night. 5
6 Frem Five clearances and a goal, just doing enough to hold his spot in the team. 5
Crouch
1 NM Always around the ball. Ten clearances and 15 contested possessions. 8
2 Port
Won seven clearances and his quick hands were superb around stoppages. 6
3 Rich
Bored in at the contests to win plenty of contested ball. Use of handball a feature at times. 7
4 Syd
Continues to do the in-and-under stuff without too much fuss. 8
5 Haw
Wins a lot of the ball but needs to do more by foot. 5
6 Frem
Ran with Barlow all game and won plenty of his own footy. 7
Mate I would not use the fact that crouch played on Barlow all day as a point. Go have a close look at Barlow v Crouch games and you will be very disappointed.

Can I ask where your rating system comes from?

Because this is what you do. Watch and watch and watch until you find the one thing to justify your small minded rants

If you read and were capable of comprehension muppet, then you'd know that I'm looking for evidence of an important role I think he's playing at stoppages. Speaking of small minds, and a simpleton to boot. Wayne's-World, nice like, no more complaints about people not reading your posts properly hey.

I must say I like that Pyke appears to have an extremely strong view on how his best 22 should structure up and as well, also has a strong view on who is classed as best 22 and he's willing to back himself in. This is something Sando never possessed for mine, he was chopping and changing every week and you could tell the thinking would be "player x doesn't deserved to be dropped..." and thus we would alter our structure. Boo hoo, this is AFL football, the elite competition, forget about who does or doesn't deserve to be dropped just because they're trying hard, go with who you think your best fits your 22.

I'm pro Lyons, and think he's been fantastic since his inclusion - but at least we're dropping him for a reason this time.

Good teams drop good players; not because they deserve to be dropped, but to make the team better.

Good to see - finally.

Lyons will be back, he's proven he's AFL quality.

Actually is an expression from gay literature back in the 30s. The book itself "Mills awakening" relates the story of a young Harvard graduate Alistair Mills, who goes to work in California for the state government department for expenditure. The department itself is nicknamed "the stacks department" as the Californian state raised the highest taxes and therefore had "stacks" of money).Alistair is suprised to find that feelings he has harboured all along and felt was unnatural are the same as his new work buddies. Without grossing people out, there is a bit of an initiation ceremony where Alistair loses his brown cherry and it crescendos with all of them lying on top of him all inside the guy below, hence the expression "stacks on the Mill".

Of course another explanation could be that players all piled up over the ball did resemble the chimney stacks on top of cotton mills but as it was KG that would often use the expression, I reckon there is a fair chance it was the former.

Brilliant.

Your over reacting mate, Hendo has shirked a few contest but he's no Jericho. He closes and spoils well, it's the front on contact with head he is cautious of
Nah, he's constantly hearing footsteps when backing back for an uncontested overhead mark.

I'm pro Lyons, and think he's been fantastic since his inclusion - but at least we're dropping him for a reason this time.

Good teams drop good players; not because they deserve to be dropped, but to make the team better.

Good to see - finally.

Lyons will be back, he's proven he's AFL quality.

Brilliant.

This is what the Lyons fans didn't get. AFL football is a hard luck story. The NFL is an example of a league full of teams who have second quarter backs who could be starters somewhere else but they sit on the pine the whole game. Goal Keepers in Soccer are another one. In professional sport its about putting the Absolute best 22 on the park each week and Lyons just isn't in that best 22. While minimal injuries is great for a team it unfortunately creates hard luck stories and lack of opportunities. Lyons is a quality player no one is arguing that. Its just unfortunate.

Of course another explanation could be that players all piled up over the ball did resemble the chimney stacks on top of cotton mills but as it was KG that would often use the expression, I reckon there is a fair chance it was the former.
Nice work Jumbo, you appear to have confused some of the locals :)

WESTERN BULLDOGS 4.6 7.10 10.16 14.18 (102)
ADELAIDE 6.3 9.6 13.9 16.13 (109)

GOALS
Western Bulldogs:
Dickson 5, Crameri 2, Redpath 2, Stringer 2, Dahlhaus, Jong, Grant
Adelaide: Betts 5, Walker 3, Knight 2, Cameron 2, Henderson, Lynch, Sloane, Thompson

BEST
Western Bulldogs:
Dahlhaus, Dickson, Hunter, Bontempelli, Wallis, Murphy
Adelaide: Betts, Thompson, Walker, Henderson, Laird, Sloane, Dangerfield

Many had him BOG. Just sayin.

This is what the Lyons fans didn't get. AFL football is a hard luck story. The NFL is an example of a league full of teams who have second quarter backs who could be starters somewhere else but they sit on the pine the whole game. Goal Keepers in Soccer are another one. In professional sport its about putting the Absolute best 22 on the park each week and Lyons just isn't in that best 22. While minimal injuries is great for a team it unfortunately creates hard luck stories and lack of opportunities. Lyons is a quality player no one is arguing that. Its just unfortunate.

I'd venture to say it isn't even unfortunate, it is quite healthy that a list has a player like Lyons. He can come in and contribute in a few positions and to a reasonable standard. The fact that he isn't in the 22 this week puts pressure on a few players to make sure they keep to a high standard whether in the middle or up forward because we have players like Lyons, Milera, Knights and Menzel waiting to take their spots

Remove this Banner Ad

Back